* * * * * 1 votes

Lavender. Almost as good as Pregabalin

pregabalin lyrica lavender essential oil anxiety gad

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 BlueCloud

• 540 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:41 PM

I've been testing a few drops of  lavender essential oil for my sky-high levels of anxiety. This stuff is potent. I took 8 drops today, and it's almost as efficient as 100mg of pregabalin ( I've been taking up to 400 mg of pregabalin daily these last months for anxiety and insomnia ). Make sure it's for oral consumption , some essential oils are for use diluted on skin only. Mix the drops with something fat , or just take it in water . It did create some heartburn though, but I took a very high dosage.

I've also taken  Silexan ( an extract of lavender ) before. It's bloody expensive, and cheap lavender oil works just as well.

Interestingly, lavender essential oil seems to work the same way as pregabalin :

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/23637742

Lavender oil-potent anxiolytic properties via modulating voltage dependent calcium channels.
Abstract

Recent clinical data support the clinical use of oral lavender oil in patients suffering from subsyndromal anxiety. We identified the molecular mechanism of action that will alter the perception of lavender oil as a nonspecific ingredient of aromatherapy to a potent anxiolytic inhibiting voltage dependent calcium channels (VOCCs) as highly selective drug target. In contrast to previous publications where exorbitant high concentrations were used, the effects of lavender oil in behavioral, biochemical, and electrophysiological experiments were investigated in physiological concentrations in the nanomolar range, which correlate to a single dosage of 80 mg/d in humans that was used in clinical trials. We show for the first time that lavender oil bears some similarities with the established anxiolytic pregabalin. Lavender oil inhibits VOCCs in synaptosomes, primary hippocampal neurons and stably overexpressing cell lines in the same range such as pregabalin. Interestingly, Silexan does not primarily bind to P/Q type calcium channels such as pregabalin and does not interact with the binding site of pregabalin, the α2δ subunit of VOCCs. Lavender oil reduces non-selectively the calcium influx through several different types of VOCCs such as the N-type, P/Q-type and T-type VOCCs. In the hippocampus, one brain region important for anxiety disorders, we show that inhibition by lavender oil is mainly mediated via N-type and P/Q-type VOCCs. Taken together, we provide a pharmacological and molecular rationale for the clinical use of the oral application of lavender oil in patients suffering from anxiety.

Edited by BlueCloud, 09 February 2018 - 01:46 PM.

• Informative x 1

#2 Galaxyshock

• 1,460 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:49 PM

Yeah lavender is effective for general anxiety. There was also report of it restoring sleep in benzo withdrawal. Lavender also has anti-depressive quality by increasing dopamine D3 receptors. Good stuff.

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:24 PM

Thanks, Bluecloud. I've used lavender externally on skin but haven't tried injesting it. Is there a safe lavender oil you recommend for internal use?

Hmm. I wonder how lavender oil would synergize with CBD for high anxiety and stage fright?

#4 sant2060

• 63 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:24 PM

Actually, if this study is correct, lavender is also NMDA receptor antagonist.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5437114/

I dont drink it, just take 6-8 drops under my tounge, because I dont think the one I have is intended for consumption.

However, I do plan to get some and mix with CBD oil.

Edited by sant2060, 09 February 2018 - 05:25 PM.

#5 BlueCloud

• Topic Starter
  • 540 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:50 PM

Thanks, Bluecloud. I've used lavender externally on skin but haven't tried injesting it. Is there a safe lavender oil you recommend for internal use?

Not really. I just use a local brand, and it works well. Any decent brand that is marked for oral consumption should do the trick.

#6 Jiminy Glick

• 235 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:06 PM

Hmm. I wonder how lavender oil would synergize with CBD for high anxiety and stage fright?

If you find a good online source let me know and I will do the same. 

#7 Jiminy Glick

• 235 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:09 PM

Would this be good?

https://www.surlatab...vender Extract

#8 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:03 PM

Is lavendar oil GABAergic?  What's the moa?

#9 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:00 AM

ive taken those lavender capsules for sleep and it never really helped much with insomnia, but in high doses it does have some relaxing effect. but those horrible lavender burps, just suck. anyway, why would someone choose lavender oil over pregabalin when the insurance will cover pregabalin and not lavender oil which can be costly and require much more to consume?

• Good Point x 1

#10 BlueCloud

• Topic Starter
  • 540 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:59 PM

why would someone choose lavender oil over pregabalin when the insurance will cover pregabalin and not lavender oil which can be costly and require much more to consume?

Maybe it's expensive in the US, but over here lavender oil is absolutely dirt cheap. I can get a quality locally produced bottle for less than 4 euros.

What do you mean by "require much more to consume" ?  

8 drops in water is not much. And I can feel the effects starting in less than 10 minutes, while pregabalin takes a good 2 hours before really starting to act. Also, pregabalin can have some serious withdrawal issues on some people ( It did for me ), although it is possible that lavender may have the same issues, but I have never heard of it.

Overall, I find pregabalin more powerful at higher doses ( I used take up to 400mg per day ), but not everybody requires something as powerful.

Edited by BlueCloud, 18 February 2018 - 09:10 PM.

#11 zeropoint

• 92 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:30 AM

If it's real essential oil (not a synthetic) shouldn't be problem with internal use....haven't tried the lavender yet though.

I'm looking into valerian (nepal)  essential oil also....there is a med called Validol* that has   methyl isovalerate  which is also supposed to be good for "nerves" 

Maybe it's expensive in the US, but over here lavender oil is absolutely dirt cheap. I can get a quality locally produced bottle for less than 4 euros.

What do you mean by "require much more to consume" ?

11 dollars for 1 ounce?

Edited by zeropoint, 19 February 2018 - 04:33 AM.

#12 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:34 AM

Can anyone recommend a particular brand of Lavender Oil for internal consumption?

I'm taking a "Nature's Answer" Lavender Oil.  It has a bit of alcohol in it.  And it is pretty damn foul tasting, but I suspect it's all going to taste like that.

But, if anyone has found a brand that is particularly good for ingestion please share the infor. 

For what it's worth, I do think there is something here with this Lavender Oil.  It does something and I don't think it's placebo.

#13 Mr Serendipity

• 979 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 February 2020 - 04:57 PM

Lavender is also a FAAH inhibitor, thus increasing your natural endocannibinoids such as anandamide.

Lavender also increases theta and alpha waves in all brain regions.

I posted the 2 studies here: https://www.longecit...faah-inhibitor/

Can anyone recommend a particular brand of Lavender Oil for internal consumption?

Only from the UK perspective. I've taken Kalms Lavender Pills and can attest to their effectiveness.

Lavender is definitely a mainstay for me, personally its effects are extremely noticeable, such as getting rid of thoughts, calming the mind, a great sleep aid, and I've used it several times in the past as a self hypnosis aid. The only side effects I have noticed, are sometimes it can cause slight indigestion, and sometimes act as a sudden onset laxative, but nothing that can't be handled. Most people I've recommended that pill to instantly notice lavender burps and report some slight indigestion/digestive irritation, enough to put some people off using them, but for me it's positive effects outweigh these.

Edited by Jesus is King, 25 February 2020 - 05:01 PM.

#14 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 05:52 PM

The great thing about pregabalin is it seems to work for multiple days in me for my anxiety. I have so much leftover pregabalin that I don't use because I only need to take it once a week or every second or third day for my anxiety.

#15 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 05:57 PM

The pharmaceutical grade lavender for internal consumption is called Silexan.  Most of the lavender based pills us it.  In the US it's sold under the name "CalmAid" which you can find on Amazon.

There are good studies comparing it to various benzos and pregabalin and I wanted very badly to believe it was effective.  Unfortunately, after trialing it many times at doses from 40mg/day to 160mg/day I had to sadly conclude it did nothing for me.  But others may have better luck.

Edited by Daniel Cooper, 25 February 2020 - 05:59 PM.

#16 sedentary

• 155 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 06:06 PM

The pharmaceutical grade lavender for internal consumption is called Silexan.  Most of the lavender based pills us it.  In the US it's sold under the name "CalmAid" which you can find on Amazon.

There are good studies comparing it to various benzos and pregabalin and I wanted very badly to believe it was effective.  Unfortunately, after trialing it many times at doses from 40mg/day to 160mg/day I had to sadly conclude it did nothing for me.  But others may have better luck.

was it the Silexan brand you used? maybe those studies have used really high doses, and also i havent studies done on humans at all so maybe just like all other supplements out there, its not really effective.

anyway, i would be interested seeing other reports by people. since the stuff is so expensive, there has to be a valid reason getting it.

#17 BlueCloud

• Topic Starter
  • 540 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 12:05 PM

it’s unfortunate that it did nothing for you, especially if you used the Calmaid Silexan version. 
While i find it useful myself, it’s still no match for Pregabalin in cases of very high levels of GAD like me. I basically use lavender as a means to lower my dosage of Pregabalin ( and its side effects).

#18 Vitalist

• 33 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 01:52 PM

Lavender is probably an endocrine disrupting agent. 

https://pubmed.ncbi....-tea-tree-oils/

Abstract

Most cases of male prepubertal gynecomastia are classified as idiopathic. We investigated possible causes of gynecomastia in three prepubertal boys who were otherwise healthy and had normal serum concentrations of endogenous steroids. In all three boys, gynecomastia coincided with the topical application of products that contained lavender and tea tree oils. Gynecomastia resolved in each patient shortly after the use of products containing these oils was discontinued. Furthermore, studies in human cell lines indicated that the two oils had estrogenic and antiandrogenic activities. We conclude that repeated topical exposure to lavender and tea tree oils probably caused prepubertal gynecomastia in these boys.

2007 Massachusetts Medical Society

Also: https://examine.com/...s-with-hormones

At the very least, keep it away from children. 

• Good Point x 1

#19 sedentary

• 155 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 04:43 AM

it’s unfortunate that it did nothing for you, especially if you used the Calmaid Silexan version. 
While i find it useful myself, it’s still no match for Pregabalin in cases of very high levels of GAD like me. I basically use lavender as a means to lower my dosage of Pregabalin ( and its side effects).

it makes sense. herbals can add on to the effect of pharmaceuticals. but are by no means stand alone treatment.

#20 ibtisam_midlet

• 105 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 06:12 PM

Lavender not working for me even with sky high doses

she have 8% Caryophyllene that fond in THC, its Fatty-acid amide hydrolase 1 ihibitor, Cannabinoid receptor 1 agonist

>>https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Lavandula

>>https://en.wikipedia...i/Caryophyllene
>>http://www.bindingdb...ancedSearch.jsp

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#21 sedentary

• 155 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 07:39 PM

she have?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pregabalin, lyrica, lavender, essential oil, anxiety, gad

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users