Iodine causing fatigue, somnolence

iodine

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 muntjac

• 56 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:13 AM

Doses of potassium iodide as low as 50 µg cause me fatigue and tiredness. It should take at least 10x that dose to cause fatigue through the Wolff-Chaikoff effect, where hypothyroidism develops from excessive iodine intake. My thyroid levels test normal and my doctor has been unable to explain it.

#2 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:39 PM

Do you take it alone?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:00 PM

50 micrograms of KI?  I can't believe that you aren't getting similar small quantities of KI in your diet, if from nowhere else iodized salt which is everywhere.  I would expect that some fruits and vegetables would contain quantities of KI in similar magnitudes naturally even without iodized salt.

How do you know these small quantities of KI are causing these issues?

• Good Point x 1

#4 Artificiality

• 86 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:48 AM

Try eating some dulse(which has a ton of iodine) instead of the supplement and see if you react the same.

#5 muntjac

• Topic Starter
  • 56 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:07 AM

The first time I noticed this effect was from taking a kelp supplement with 150 µg of iodine per tablet. It happened again (fatigue and a sleepy feeling) while taking a multivitamin that I didn't realize contained iodine, the amount was 50 µg. I'll try picking up some dulse and report back.

#6 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:48 AM

The problem is that you are likely consuming foods that have more than 50µg KI.  One gram of iodized salt has 45µg.  Even if you don't use iodized salt at home, if you eat out or eat prepared foods you'd usually be getting 1g or more of salt in a meal.  And it's not just things seasoned with iodized salt. A cup of yogurt is 75µg.  Two eggs is 50µg.  Three ounces of cod is about 100µg. 

If 50µg of KI can cause that sort of reaction in you, you should be getting this reaction commonly after meals.  KI is quite common in many foods, which is good because our thyroids require it. 

• Good Point x 1

#7 iseethelight

• 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:11 PM

Same here. Kelp with 300mg iodine makes tired, dizzy and nauseous.

#8 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:12 PM

Has it occurred to anyone that there is more in kelp than potassium iodine?

• Good Point x 1

#9 muntjac

• Topic Starter
  • 56 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:55 PM

The problem is that you are likely consuming foods that have more than 50µg KI.  One gram of iodized salt has 45µg.  Even if you don't use iodized salt at home, if you eat out or eat prepared foods you'd usually be getting 1g or more of salt in a meal.  And it's not just things seasoned with iodized salt. A cup of yogurt is 75µg.  Two eggs is 50µg.  Three ounces of cod is about 100µg. 

If 50µg of KI can cause that sort of reaction in you, you should be getting this reaction commonly after meals.  KI is quite common in many foods, which is good because our thyroids require it. 

I prepare my own meals and primarily eat green vegetables, fish, chicken, and nuts. I know I'm getting some iodine in my diet, but I suspect the supplementing is pushing me over the edge. I'm going to try eating a gram a day of dulse starting tomorrow.

#10 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:24 AM

I take a drop of SSKI (25 mg of iodide, I think), along with some selenium. I don't feel anything. Not to discount your experience, but I have a hard time believing that micrograms will have such a big impact.

#11 muntjac

• Topic Starter
  • 56 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:31 PM

I ate the dulse with dinner twice and each time was very drowsy the next day until after noon. Anyone want a bag of dulse?  :laugh:

#12 baccheion

• 154 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:21 PM

Are your adrenals functioning well? You could just go all the way and look into the Iodine Protocol.

#13 muntjac

• Topic Starter
  • 56 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 May 2022 - 06:13 PM

This happened again and I was able to trace the reaction to a fungal infection, once it was treated I could tolerate iodine again without the somnolence.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 adamh

• 1,012 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 12:44 AM

Thanks for coming back and clearing it up so people won't worry

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iodine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users