• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Dental cost in UK -- eat your heart out Americans!

dental cost

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:36 PM

Latest Mirror headline: Cost of visiting NHS dentist to go up AGAIN

Those poor brits  :-D

https://www.mirror.c...ist-go-12159124

Current NHS dental charges

Dentistry is one of the few NHS services where you have to pay a contribution towards the cost of your care.
The information on this page explains what you may have to pay or your NHS dental treatment.

Emergency dental treatment – £20.60 
This covers emergency care in a primary care NHS dental practice such as pain relief or a temporary filling.

Band 1 course of treatment – £20.60
This covers an examination, diagnosis (including X-rays), advice on how to prevent future problems, a scale and polish if clinically needed, and preventative care such as the application of fluoride varnish or fissure sealant if appropriate.

Band 2 course of treatment – £56.30
This covers everything listed in Band 1 above, plus any further treatment such as fillings,  root canal work or removal of teeth but  not more complex items covered by Band 3.

Band 3 course of treatment – £244.30
This covers everything listed in Bands 1 and 2 above, plus crowns, dentures, bridges and other laboratory work. Last year the rates also increased - with a band one course of treatment and urgent treatment increasing by 90p from £19.70 to £20.60

Patients in England already pay far higher charges for basic care, and contribute a larger share of the dental budget than in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

more quotes: 

Henrik Overgaard-Nielsen, chairman of the British Dental Association, said:

“These unprecedented charge hikes are self-defeating, and simply discourage the patients who need us most from seeing an NHS dentist.

“Cost is a huge barrier to many patients on moderate incomes. The result is patients bottling up problems and requiring more extensive treatment which hurts their health and costs the NHS millions.”

lol really?  Half the employees over 35-40 in the local Walmart sport just one or two-tooth smiles. 
Last time I was looking for a dentist in the phone book, I was quoted ~$600 for initial consultation only (it included xrays).

Edited by xEva, 10 March 2018 - 05:49 PM.

#2 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 March 2018 - 06:55 PM

"lol really?  Half the employees over 35-40 in the local Walmart sport just one or two-tooth smiles. 
Last time I was looking for a dentist in the phone book, I was quoted ~$600 for initial consultation only (it included xrays)."

Those would be great prices! Dental in the U.S. is expensive in my opinion. Shopping around can help, as can emphasizing non insured payment with some. I have paid an average of about $1200 for crowns in past years. At my current dentist, I received 2 crowns for $1000 total , with all visits, x-rays and including a follow up for a minor adjustment.

As far as Walmart, I shop regularly at 3 stores. I chat with the people who work there. I can not remember a single case of associates with an amount of missing teeth, which I would take notice of. I am sure there are some missing 1 or 2, but nothing like you have experienced.

Edited by Heisok, 10 March 2018 - 07:01 PM.

#3 xEva

• Topic Starter
  • 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:10 PM

Well, it depends where in the US you are. I'm now in central PA, which is an economically depressed ex-coal mining area, interspersed by enclaves of cosy rich communities where most people either retired, or have their weekend or summer homes. Not that many commute, because everything is far from here.

Such demographics affect the costs, which are way higher than in NY (despite far cheaper office space here of course). Or take LA -- last time I was there, I could not help noticing how many dentists advertise their services -- almost on every corner! So I asked the people I was visiting what their are paying, and, naturally, it is far less.

That almost $600 I was quoted of course was exceptional -- I could not believe they were serious at first! I imagine they had some fancy equipment and the xrays were in 3D. Still, when I bumped into the MIrror headline, I just could not resist reposting it   :-D  

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users