Licorice Root!!! Help needed!!!

depression licorice root

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 James88

• 36 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:45 PM

Ok so I need some help, I’ve tried countless supplements, diets and routines to try and counteract my depression. The one that stands out BY FAR is Licorice root. I’m trying to find out the mechanism of action that Licorice root has so I can hopefully work out what it is targeting and then hopefully build on that. It significantly lifts my depression, so whatever it’s doing, I want to find other similar supplements that may do the same thing and strengthen whatever is happening!!

I really can’t find much other than it’s benefits in terms of helping cortisol to hang around longer. Anybody have any info as to why it benefits me so well or have any ideas on how I can build on this??!?????

#2 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:55 PM

Licorice increases serum cortisol and DHEA levels. It also contains a ligand of GABA benzodiazepine-site and GABA-B receptor. I also find Licorice very effective anti-depressive and anxiolytic herb, in fact it gets me a bit high especially when combined with medicinal mushrooms like Reishi and Shiitake.

Isoliquiritigeninhas been found to potent (65 times higher affinity than diazepine) GABA-A benzodiapine receptor positive allosteric modulator.[1]

→ source (external link)

Isoliquiritigeninsuppresses cocaine-induced extracellular dopamine release in rat brain through GABA(B) receptor.

→ source (external link)

I wonder if it's in fact PAM of the GABA-B receptor. That would make it quite unique.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 CalmDown

• 17 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 04:07 PM

It is also an mao-b inhibitor. That's generally its main method of action along with preventing the breakdown of cortisol, allowing it to last longer.

So generally mao-b inhibition is what you're looking for. Selegiline (deprynl, selgin) or rasagiline. Selegiline is said to be more activating though.
Side note: my apologies for no site sourcing. Very busy atm and currently waiting for licorice root to kick in myself haha. Low blood pressure issues among other things while waiting to see the doc. The information is very abundant on this form with a quick search though.

#4 James88

• Topic Starter
  • 36 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 July 2018 - 07:51 PM

Yeah the whole MAO B thing confused me. I have troubles with excess dopamine, sluggish COMT etc. Anything that raises dopamine in me makes me much, much worse. But not licorice root, to begin with at least. So maybe it is the GABA potentials as also mentioned that I benefit from initially. To be fair, the MAO B inhibiting properties could be a good reason why after a while the anti-depressant benefits of licorice root poop out for me and I start to get brain fog and low mood, as that’s what I always get with any excess dopamine!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 CalmDown

• 17 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 11:28 PM

Mao-b is a weird thing that isn't fully understood just yet. Especially natural ones. Because they aren't fully sure if the inhibition is universal over the brain or specified to certain regions.

It could also be the cortisol spike that helps with the mood. For me at least, that's why I take it. I have had low cortisol levels most of my adult life which I'm still getting run around by doctors about. So dopamine products on their own don't help because half of them lower cortisol as a secondary MOA. Whereas the root helps keep cortisol around.

I have selegiline coming in about a week and I'll test with a proper mao-b to test that out and let you know my findings
  • Good Point x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: depression, licorice root

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users