NR vs. Alcohol Injury Via SIRT1

nicotinamide riboside acute liver injury

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:57 PM

Nicotinamide Riboside Attenuates Alcohol Induced Liver Injuries via Activation of SirT1/PGC-1α/Mitochondrial Biosynthesis Pathway
Redox Biology
In Press, Accepted Manuscript, Available online 5 April 2018
Sufan Wang, Ting Wan, Mingtong Ye, Yun Qiua, Lei Peia, d, Rui Jianga, d, Nengzhi Panga, d, Yuanling Huanga, d, Baoxia Liangb, Wenhua Linga, d, Xiaojun Lin
Redox Biology
https://doi.org/10.1...dox.2018.04.006

The metabolism of alcohol is mainly catalyzed by alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) and aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH). During long term heavy drinking or binge drinking, cytochrome P450 2E1 (CYP2E1) is activated, playing a critical role in alcohol metabolism. The metabolism of ethanol increases the conversion of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) to NADH which decreases the ratio of NAD+/NADH. ... Steatosis induced by high-fat diet triggers the reduction in nicotinamide phosphoribosyl transferase (NAMPT)-mediated NAD+ biosynthesis and contribute to the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes (...

We fed C57BL/6 J mice with Lieber-DeCarli ethanol liquid diet [35% Calories from alcohol] with or without 400 mg/kg·bw NR for 16 days. ... [E]thanol significantly decreased the expression and activity of hepatic SirT1 and induced abnormal expression of enzymes of lipid metabolism in mice. Both in vivo and in vitro experiments showed that NR activated SirT1 through increasing NAD+ levels, decreased oxidative stress, increased deacetylation of PGC-1α and mitochondrial function. In SirT1 knockdown HepG2 cells, NR lost its ability in enhancing mitochondrial function, and its protection against lipid accumulation induced by ethanol.

Conclusions
NR can protect against ethanol induced liver injuries via replenishing NAD+, reducing oxidative stress, and activating SirT1-PGC-1α-mitochondrial biosynthesis. Our data indicate that SirT1 plays an important role in the protection of NR against lipid accumulation and mitochondrial dysfunctions induced by ethanol.

Before anyone gets too excited, lots of things can reduce the impact of alcoholic liver injury when they're coadministred — including Plain Jane nicotinamide (PMID 9349848) and various GSH precursors. What would be much more interesting and useful would be something that helps to undo the damage inflicted by previous chronic alcohol (ab)use.

Also note that the underlying problem is redox imbalance (low NAD+:NADH) resulting from excess reduction of NAD+ to NADH. It's questionable whether shifting this ratio by incraeasing NAD+, without directly intervening to shift the redox tone, is a sustainable strategy. And it again raises the question of confounding by the NNT mutation.

• Informative x 4
  • Ill informed x 1

#2 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 April 2018 - 04:23 PM

Is it just me Michael or do you have something against Nr?

You always seem to come down on the negative side of any research when it comes to Nr.....Just asking

• Disagree x 2
  • Good Point x 1
  • dislike x 1

#3 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 04:26 PM

You always seem to come down on the negative side of any research when it comes to Nr.....Just asking

More like a perfectionist, not negative.  

Someone should probably reformulate Souvenaid with NR and administer it to mice/people post chronic alcohol abuse.

• Agree x 2

#4 Michael

• Topic Starter
  • Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 07:26 PM

It's just you ;) . You apparently habitually classify all analysis as either boosterism or hatchet-jobs, and mistakenly categorize the mentioning of caveats or for nuanced critique in the latter category.
  • Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#5 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:28 PM

It's just you ;) . You apparently habitually classify all analysis as either boosterism or hatchet-jobs, and mistakenly categorize the mentioning of caveats or for nuanced critique in the latter category.

I can't say as I habitually do any of the kind Michael. I do however try and keep an open mind on the subject, but I have noticed that you never seem to have even a sightly positive view of Nr.

I have also not seen much in the way of anything negative when it comes to research in general in the Nr field.

• Disagree x 2

#6 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:43 PM

The problem with Souvenaid as far as I was concerned was that it contained follic acid whereas I have an MTHFR 677 mutation and a folate deficiency and it didn't work at all! Not for me

#7 TMNMK

• 170 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:45 AM

Midas, wasn't it Michael who said "At this point, based on three studies in which NR and NMN have been directly compared, it appears that — at least in mice! — NR is the slightly superior NAD+ precursor."

Edited by TMNMK, 11 April 2018 - 11:58 AM.

• Agree x 2

#8 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:00 PM

I think Michael is wrong on the NAD NADH ratio. The absolute concentration of NAD+ dictates the NAD+ flux. The ratio is just a symptom.

This was confirmed in a recent paper that we have discussed before and I don't have the reference on hand. 

• Needs references x 1

#9 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:39 PM

Midas, wasn't it Michael who said "At this point, based on three studies in which NR and NMN have been directly compared, it appears that — at least in mice! — NR is the slightly superior NAD+ precursor."

I'm not sure what your point is there. We have known for quite a while that NMN converts to NR before getting to NAD....

http://www.timelessl...o-cellular-nad/

My point with Michael was he seems to be a little on the negative side when it comes to the effects NR....Maybe I'm wrong but I cant remember a positive post.

• Disagree x 3

#10 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:16 PM

I'm not sure what your point is there. We have known for quite a while that NMN converts to NR before getting to NAD....

http://www.timelessl...o-cellular-nad/

My point with Michael was he seems to be a little on the negative side when it comes to the effects NR....Maybe I'm wrong but I cant remember a positive post.

Michael is brilliant at finding out details of all studies. But he is missing the big picture of NAD+ as the most significant aging path way that can be easily fixed with NR. Time will tell who is right. The person who championed the merit of NR, the first anti aging pill ever existed, was attacked constantly on this board and banned a few times. This board has become a joke.
  • Disagree x 2
  • dislike x 2
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide riboside, acute liver injury

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users