Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

FYI: leaky Gut

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:00 PM

1. you need to deal with the emotional component. See my article of stress reducion here:

http://www.mindandmu...mindandmuscle//

in the April issue due out any day.

2. Basics: glutamine, flora, fish oil + stress reduction.

3. Galland is not as well known AFAIK as osme others, but is excellent:

http://www.mdheal.org/leakygut.htm

I"m disappointed though, quackwatch doesn't have Galland listed (inside joke for newcomers).

#2 scottl

• Topic Starter
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:02 PM

Oh and sufficient protein.

Then of course people limit various foods, etc.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:35 PM

http://www.mdheal.org/leakygut.htm

I"m disappointed though, quackwatch doesn't have Galland listed (inside joke for newcomers).

They probably tried, but his articles are too well-referenced. There's some very good information on his page, thanks for the link.

#4 scottl

• Topic Starter
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:40 PM

Sure.

I've heard him speak and I think he is by far one of the better alternative docs.

I forgot to mention fiber. SPeaking from personal experience with my gut (perhaps leaky, all I know it is...LOL NQR..not quie right) which did not like FOS, psyllium or even his cellulose, I've finally found flaxseeds which work nicely.

#5 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:44 PM

(2) Saccharomyces boulardii is a non-pathogenic yeast originally isolated from the surface of lichee nuts. It has been widely used in Europe to treat diarrhea. In France it is popularly called "Yeast against yeast" and is thought to help clear the skin in addition to the gut. Clinical trials have demonstrated the effectiveness for S. boulardii in the treatment or prevention of C. difficile diarrhea]. Experimental data suggest that the yeast owes its effect to stimulation of SIgA secretion[134]. SIgA is a key immunological component of gut barrier function.
Passive elevation of gut immunoglobulin levels can be produced by feeding whey protein concentrates that are rich in IgA and IgG. These have been shown to be effective in preventing infantile necrotizing enterocolitis[135].

This is the product to buy http://www.florastor.com/ (Money is an issue!! Damn I have to whore myself now.)

#6 orangish

• 264 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:20 AM

Since you suggest glutamine Scott, I was wondering if you've read any of the research concerning its potential glutamate-excitoxicity-inducing acitivity...and what do you think of such claims...

#7 scottl

• Topic Starter
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:14 AM

Since you suggest glutamine Scott, I was wondering if you've read any of the research concerning its potential glutamate-excitoxicity-inducing acitivity...and what do you think of such claims...

Interesting question. Everything in life has risk and benefit. IF you do have leaky gut then the benefits of glutamine outwieght the risk IMHO.

Note well: if you do not adress the...mental emotional stuff that is very likely going on (I'm stating this based on the people I have worked with/encountered) it may be very difficult to fully heal your gut (see suggested link above).

#8 orangish

• 264 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:49 AM

I love making sometimes fatal health decisions based on cost-benefit-analysis :)

#9 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 03:04 AM

At the risk of sounding like a broken record with my find the root cause, get testing, don't-just-throw-supplements-at-the-symptoms mantra -- if you have increased intestinal permeability, there is a reason for that. It may be excessive alcohol, overuse of NSAIDS, antibiotics, food allergies, dysbiosis, chronic stress, or something else. In any case, if you don't remove the cause of your leaky gut from the equation, you can take all the right supplements to heal gut mucosa and get absolutely nowhere.

Interestingly, intestinal permeability increases in everyone with aging. It is one aspect of aging that calorie restriction has absolutely no effect on.

That S. boulardii yeast looks like a winner -- coincidentally I was just reading about it in Digestive Wellness this afternoon. I'm probably going to try some myself.

Another supplementation idea for leaky gut that is not that often mentioned is phosphatidyl choline, and its polyunsaturated form, Polyenylphosphatidylcholine (PPC). Its supposed to be good for healing the mucosa and also has a variety of liver related health benefits. I'd like to find out how effective plain old phosphatidyl choline is in comparison.

#10 scottl

• Topic Starter
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:58 AM

Agreed. I thought I had said it somewhere, but do not treat leaky gut till you are sure you have it i.e. test for increased permeability.

FUnk as far as finding the root cause while a good idea in theory if you talk to people who have it, you'll discover that finiding the root cause is not as simple as you might think and is typically multifactorial with emotional stuff being a major component.

"Polyenylphosphatidylcholine (PPC). Its supposed to be good for healing the mucosa"

I did a quick search and have seen it mentioned in relation to gastric muscosa, but that is only a minor component of the problem and I wonder if it has an effect on the mucosa of the rest of the gut which is very different.

#11 dayfly

• 35 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:42 AM

Aside from the above mentioned supplements what diet would you all suggest to heal a leaky gut? I mean of course this depends on the individual and food allergies etc differ from person to person but in general...should that person stick to a diet rich in proteins, amino acids..or rather to a diet rich in vegetables and carbohydrates? As far as I know amino acids and undigested protein do much more harm when getting into the bloodstream than undigested carbohydrates and vegetable protein.
There must be also a connection between leaky gut and skin health.
Do you think fasting would do any good to heal leaky gut?

#12 nushu

• 247 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:59 AM

I recently attended a continuing education course all about the practice of functional medicine and learned about leaky gut syndrome. I'm not positive I have a leaky gut, but I cut out all gluten about 3 weeks ago. My digestion feels much better- for years I had a sense that something wasn't right with it. I've started taking glutamine as well. I'll be looking into the Florastor probiotics. My next checkup will be with a functional medicine provider (found one who actually bills insurance!), I plan on getting a stool analysis because gut health is of utmost importance IMO.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#13 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:57 AM

Jarrow now carries Saccharomyces boulardii for 12bux http://www.iherb.com...e-Caps/372?at=1 but not intended for long term use.

Gamma oryzanol may help as well accdg to Galland's Japanese lit sources.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users