noopept excitotoxicity glutamate danger

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Intreption

• Registrant
  • 1 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:24 PM

So i made a very terrible mistake and am looking for any insights from others well versed in neuropharmacology.

I had done some reading on noopept, but nowhere near enough on the drug and thought it was neuroprotective based on PubMed. After taking it basically everyday for at least 2 months month, I did an LSD trip. I took my normal 10 mg of Noopept around 1:00-1:30 P.M with about 200 mg of caffeine and some acetylcholine. At this point I didn't think I was going to trip and was just doing my daily stack, but the opportunity suddenly presented itself. So at around 3:45 I took ~ 80-90 micrograms of LSD and an edible. I honestly was thinking of noopept as a sort of cognitive enhancing vitamin and wasn't even strongly considering the interactions with a low dose of LSD. I had done an edible with noopept and some caffeine before and felt some potentiation but nothing groundbreaking. What I didn't realize was LSD is extremely glutamatergic and releases a bunch of glutamate in the cortex. While we are not sure exactly how noopept works it definitely sensitizes NMDA and AMPA receptors to glutamate. In addition the caffeine worked to inhibit my adenosine A1 receptors which are neuroprotective, working as a sort of failsafe to reduce neuron excitability and inhibit transmission if things are over excited. While THC is shown to be neuroprotective, it inhibits GABA and increases glutamate as well so I just unwittingly fucked myself like you. 

During this trip (with acute effects starting around 5:30 and lasting until 9:00) I experienced the most intense panic and fear of my life, chest pain, dysphoria, headache (it felt like my brain was on fire and tingling), trouble speaking, paranoia, a stiffness and tremor, hot and cold spells, sweating and akathisia. Basically all the symptoms one experiences during excitotoxicity from severe benzo or alcohol withdrawal. 

4 months after I am still experiencing more trouble pronouncing words with a somewhat noticeable stutter. I mix words up more often, or have more trouble finding the right word. I have also noticed more difficulty forming eloquent/articulate sentences and reading as quickly as I did before. I intermittently experience a strange headache sensation like gravity is reversed in my head with some lightheadedness and dizziness and I now have some tinnitus. I am also worse at math and maybe worse at chess. I have been depressed and fearing for excitotoxicity myself. 

I went to a neurologist who didn't think I harmed my brains neurons with excitotoxicity, so much as I messed up the electrical signals and he diagnosed me with a condition called Functional Nuerological disorder which certainly could explain the symptoms I have been experiencing. It has been very hard for me to believe that though as he didn't do any reading on Noopept or LSD, but at the same time it seems odd to me that with how many different areas of the brain are excited by LSD, my symptoms are localized primarily to language. 

Does anyone have experience with this? It seems hard to believe for me that such a low dose of LSD with an edible and probably ~100 mg of caffeine and the noopept could have such profoundly neurotoxic effects, especially when searching pubmed only reveals literature suggesting noopept is neuroprotective in the event of glutamate excitotoxicity. 

Edited by Intreption, 09 May 2018 - 05:26 PM.

#2 Jesuisfort

• 37 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:31 PM

Did you get an MRI   ? it can be a neurodegenerative disease

I don't think  it has something to do  with noopept or LSD 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 theobromananda

• 63 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:01 AM

I have combined the two with great synergy. All that I have read suggests noopepts neuroprotective properties.

I agree with Jesuisfort. It may be psychological; trauma caused by the trip or your fixation on it.

>I intermittently experience a strange headache sensation like gravity is reversed in my head with some lightheadedness and dizziness and I now have some tinnitus.

Psychedelics often cause sensations which can be found described in yogic literature. I'd suggest a grounding meditative practice - zhan zhuang may be great for clearing these issues.

Edited by theobromananda, 19 June 2018 - 11:02 AM.

#4 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:10 PM

"What I didn't realize was LSD is extremely glutamatergic and releases a bunch of glutamate in the cortex."

i didn't know that either. quick google search confirms that serotonin stimulation leads to that glutamate release. WOW, looks like memantine-like drug is a must before trips?

i know someone whose friend developed permanent visual impairment after a few LSD trips. maybe excitotoxicity played a role?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#5 theobromananda

• 63 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:20 PM

Noopept prevents excess glutamate.

About HPPD and the Specter of Permanent Side Effects

Edited by theobromananda, 19 June 2018 - 02:22 PM.

• WellResearched x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users