Photo

Question regarding 2 Products from Thorne Research

health thorne

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wickedweed

• 6 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:27 PM

Hi guys, I'm new here so sorry if this thread doesn't fit in the right category or there's a thread for these kind of questions already,I apologize but I didn't find one. I also don't know if I'm allowed to type the name of the products here, it may be categorized as 'marketing' or something, I'm in no way associated with Thorne so please don't think I'm trying to sell you anything

So basically I'm taking a Thorne Multivitamin (not naming the product) for a while now and I'm satisfied with the product (no side effects or anything) because I don't have time to prepare meals every day that cover all the nutrients my body needs.

Because I trust Thorne as a good supplement company I decided to try these 2 products wich I won't name because I don't know the forum rules exactly yet, but here are the ingredients and supposed health benefits that come with them:

1. First product is

a unique, non-glandular formula of botanicals and nutrients to help optimize the adrenal gland's response to stress.*

When humans encounter a threat, the adrenal glands release cortisol, epinephrine, norepinephrine, and other chemicals that raise our heart rate, blood pressure, and blood sugar, and constrict blood vessels to the digestive tract. This "fight or flight" reflex can be a life saver. However, the constant low-level stress most of us feel today, together with environmental pollution and diets that are high in refined carbohydrates, can overstimulate and overtax the adrenal glands, which can damage our immune, cardiovascular, neurological, and endocrine systems, and thus our long-term health. CENSORED provides botanical, non-glandular support for the adrenal glands. Its unique combination of key adaptogen botanicals and nutrients help the adrenals optimize their response to stress.*

Astragalus membranaceus is used – typically in combination with ginseng – to promote energy and support immune function.* Licorice root (Glycyrrhiza glabra) appears to have a modulating effect on cortisol activity.* Ginger (Zingiber officinale) has the capacity to increase the absorption of other substances.* Perhaps the two best-known adaptogens (substances that improve the body's resistance to stress) are Panax ginseng and Eleutherococcus senticosus. An abundance of research demonstrates an enhanced response to physical and chemical stress, as well as a beneficial physiological effect on the central nervous, cardiovascular, and endocrine systems, following administration of Panax ginseng.* Similarly, ample evidence supports the use of Eleutherococcus to help normalize the body's response to stress.* Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) – often called Indian ginseng – is considered to be the preeminent adaptogen from the Ayurvedic medical system.* Ascorbic acid, thiamine (vitamin B1), pantethine (the active form of vitamin B5), pyridoxal 5'-phosphate (the active form of vitamin B6), and zinc are included in CENSORED for their strengthening and supportive role in optimizing adrenal function.*

Two Capsules Contain:
Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid) 250 mg.
Thiamin (as Thiamin HCl) 24 mg.
Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxal 5'-Phosphate) 6.8 mg.
Pantothenic Acid (as Calcium Pantothenate) 100 mg.
Zinc (as Zinc Picolinate) 2 mg.
Ashwagandha extract (KSM-66®)† (root) (Withania somnifera) 150 mg.
Astragalus extract (root) (Astragalus membranaceus) 14 mg.
Asian Ginseng extract (root) (Panax ginseng) 75 mg.
Eleuthero extract (root) (Eleutherococcus senticosus) 75 mg.
Ginger extract (root, rhizome) (Zingiber officinale) 50 mg.
Licorice (root) (Glycyrrhiza glabra) 25 mg.

Other Ingredients: Hypromellose (derived from cellulose) capsule, Magnesium Citrate, Leucine, Silicon Dioxide.

†This product uses Ixoreal Biomed's KSM-66® Ashwagandha. KSM-66 Ashwagandha is a registered trademark of Ixoreal Biomed, Inc.

Panax standardized to Ginsenosides 8%. Eleutherococcus standardized to Eleutherosides 0.5%. Zingiber standardized to Gingerols 5%. Astragalus PE 15:1.

2. The second product is

A convenient, all-in-one formulation for nerve and brain support*

CENSORED promotes mitochondrial energetics, a foundation of good neurological health.* It includes well-researched nutrients that provide protection for sensitive nerve and brain tissue.*

Benefits
Brain/Nerves

Neurological health today is constantly being challenged by factors such as increased lifespan, environmental toxicity, and poor diet with resulting nutrient deficiencies. Thorne believes the foundation of neurological health is the health and efficacy of mitochondria – the cellular component that produces the body's energy.* So it's crucial that the body's built-in antioxidant system effectively inhibits the free radicals that tend to be produced by the mitochondria.* Thorne's CENSORED formula is comprised of well-researched nutrients that support neurological health. CENSORED provides antioxidant protection for sensitive neuronal tissue, it enhances neurotransmitter synthesis, optimizes mitochondrial energetics and cell membrane support, and promotes nerve cell function.*

CENSORED was one of the first comprehensive neurological support formulations of its kind in the supplement market. Antioxidant protection for sensitive neuronal tissue is provided by R-lipoic acid and glutathione.* Enhanced neurotransmitter synthesis is supported by acetyl-L-carnitine.* Optimal mitochondrial energetics are supported by coenzyme Q10.* Cell membranes are supported by phosphatidylserine, and enhanced nerve cell function is supported by benfotiamine, 5-MTHF, and methylcobalamin.*

Three Capsules Contains:
Vitamin B12 (as Methylcobalamin) 1.5 mg.
Folate (as L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolate from L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic Acid, Glucosamine Salt ) 300 mcg.
Acetyl-L-Carnitine (as Acetyl-L-Carnitine Chloride) 300 mg.
Benfotiamine* 250 mg
Coenzyme Q10 150 mg.
Glutathione (Reduced) 150 mg.
Phosphatidylserine 150 mg.
R-Lipoic Acid (as Sodium R-Lipoic Acid)** 120 mg.

Other Ingredients: Hypromellose (derived from cellulose) capsule, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Calcium Laurate, Magnesium Citrate, Leucine, Silicon Dioxide.*Benfotiamine is a source of Thiamin.
**This product uses GeroNova Research's Bio-Enhanced® R-Lipoic Acid. Bio-Enhanced is a registered trademark of GeroNova Research, Inc.

Contains ingredient derived from soy (phosphatidylserine).

I take the first product to increase energy and libido and the second because it sounds convenient and like a nice mix of beneficial chemicals.

I know it's not hard to find these products by these detailed description but I have to repeat that I'm not in any way affiliated with Thorne so please just focus on my questions:

1. What do you guys think of the claimed benefits that Thorne claims on these products? Are they scientifically acurate and backed up by studies and trials? What other Health Benefits could these 2 products seperate from each (or together?) have?

2. What about the dosages in these products? The first one you're supposed to take 2 (daily? which seems little, I'm looking especially for Libido and Energy boosting effects) and the second you have to take three times 2 capsules (6 a day which seems a lot for me, I only take 2 or 3 a day). Could there be problems with these dosages over time with daily use or is it too less even?

3. At what time should I take these supplements? With/after meal or on an empty stomach? Should I take them together or could there be problems regarding minerals or chemicals that compete with each other's absorption or even a dangerous chemical interaction by taking too many different ingredients at once? I'm already not taking too much multivitamins because there are a lot of vitamins in these, but I'm not sure how much exactly someone like me needs (180cm 80kg). The RDA I heard is not up to date.

4. Are there any specific ingredients that I should be careful with or not take every day?

5.  What do you guys think especially about "Glutathion (Reduced)", "Acetyl-L-Carnitine" and "R-Lipoic Acid"? Is there a consensus on these chemicals? I find a lot of different opinions and health claims so I'm kinda confused

6. In the end, what do you think about these supplements? Is it beneficial to have a mix of compounds like tese two or is it better to only take some of these individually?

#2 wickedweed

• Topic Starter
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:31 PM

I actually wanted to post this Thread in the Supplements section but I guess it was automatically moved here because I selected the 'specific company' field before creating the thread.

Am I allowed to post this same thread to that other subforum? I feel there are more people capable of answering such precise questions like mine

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: health, thorne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users