- - - - -

D plus Copper

copper vitamin d

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 experimenting

• 639 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:13 PM

Anyone supplement small doses of copper alongside Vit D? If my understanding is correct this can help buffer against hyper calcemia. Curious what people think.
  • Needs references x 1

#2 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:00 PM

I wouldn't supplement copper (even in small amounts) for any substantial length of time.  The body has no way to excrete excess copper, which can become highly reactive / toxic if an accumulation occurs.  

Some interesting opinions on copper toxicity here:

https://www.drlwilso...ty_syndrome.htm

This said, I'm not particularly afraid of high copper foods (seafood, mushrooms, nuts, avocado, chocolate).  

When it comes to minerals, with the exception of magnesium, I like to chelate them (iron in particular).  Some of the remarkable benefits of curcumin & quercetin are likely due to their iron chelating properties.  

Copper is also highly antagonistic to zinc, which has some fairly important roles in human physiology.  

Edited by Dorian Grey, 18 May 2018 - 05:06 PM.

• Agree x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:24 PM

I would stay away from supplementing with copper:

https://actu.epfl.ch...tumors-breathe/

#4 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:16 PM

I know this forum is quite anti copper but other sources are more mixed. What’s the consensus?

#5 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:47 PM

Importantly, the researchers do not think that copper causes cancer. Exposure of healthy mice to the same amount of copper via drinking water for up to two years did not result in an increased incidence of cancer.
  • Needs references x 1

#6 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:29 PM

Importantly, the researchers do not think that copper causes cancer. Exposure of healthy mice to the same amount of copper via drinking water for up to two years did not result in an increased incidence of cancer.

Mice don't really live long enough to accumulate much copper and two years is a fairly short time to expect cancer to start occurring.  

Copper accumulation in humans occurs over decades of life, particularly drinking water from copper plumbing, and is quite common.  

Look at the second paragraph here: http://www.acu-cell.com/crcu.html

"Of thousands of patients tested since the mid 1970s from different continents around the world, nearly 90% exhibited a chemical profile that in addition to their own unique chemistry, contained an underlying pattern that reflected the impact of elevated copper levels"

I'd get copper from food sources over supplements if I truly believed more copper might be helpful (but I don't)

Edited by Dorian Grey, 18 May 2018 - 09:30 PM.

• Agree x 1

#7 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:28 PM

I wouldn't supplement copper (even in small amounts) for any substantial length of time.  The body has no way to excrete excess copper, which can become highly reactive / toxic if an accumulation occurs.  

Some interesting opinions on copper toxicity here:

https://www.drlwilso...ty_syndrome.htm

This said, I'm not particularly afraid of high copper foods (seafood, mushrooms, nuts, avocado, chocolate).  

When it comes to minerals, with the exception of magnesium, I like to chelate them (iron in particular).  Some of the remarkable benefits of curcumin & quercetin are likely due to their iron chelating properties.  

Copper is also highly antagonistic to zinc, which has some fairly important roles in human physiology.  

I agree with Dorian.  Copper isn't something you want to supplement.  The risks outweigh the benefits.

• Agree x 1

#8 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:52 PM

I agree with Dorian. Copper isn't something you want to supplement. The risks outweigh the benefits.

I just gave this a try based on another user post, where he struggled with Vit D supplementation until he added a bit of copper.

Well it seems to be working for me but I’ll have to give it a few days and report back. I also don’t understand the mechanism at all, which really worries me.

This I’m pretty nervous about the whole thing, but there’s very little I can do unless I get an explanation from someone as to just what the hell is going on. Why copper would help me avoid hypercalcemia with D supplementation, etc.

Obviously if low dose (2mg max) daily copper supplementation makes my D supplementation viable, then it’s a revolution for me and I’ll essentially consider myself fully cured. But given my history, I’m rather pessimistic as I assume I’ll just run into another wall, or the copper will start to give me some horrid side effects.

Nothing else has really worked for me, zinc, magnesium, K just barely keep my hypercalcemia under control, but copper seems to have nuked the immediate calcium uptake I get when I take a D pill.

Help welcome of course.

#9 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:35 AM

I just gave this a try based on another user post, where he struggled with Vit D supplementation until he added a bit of copper.

Cam you provide a source? I have had hypercalcemia from D and want to read more. I made a thread about it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:00 AM

Oops

Edited by ironfistx, 29 January 2020 - 08:02 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: copper, vitamin d

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users