What do you guys think of Cariprazine?

cariprazine antipsychotic latuda

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:56 PM

Hey guys,

Soon I'll be switching from Latuda to Cariprazine. What do you guys can tell me about the pharmacology, is it theoretical any good and/or an improvement? 

#2 Galaxyshock

• 1,468 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:42 PM

As a partial agonist at DA receptors it should have more of a normalizing effect than full antagonists which tend to make one feel quite bad. Aripiprazole is similar and in my experience pretty decent drug, it is somewhat activating but shifts the mind to more of a rational activity. Wish they would find a partial agonist AP that would have the additional effect that Clozapine has (GABA-B agonism and release of d-serine), that would be very effective antipsychotic with minimal impairment.

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:07 PM

Which mechanism of action makes Cariprazine activating, even causing insomnia in many users (also compared to Abilify, which most people still feel like it's sedating)?

I find Latuda a very potent antipsychotic but the downside, worsening of negative symptoms/depression and inability to combine it with high dosages of Mirtazapine because of the interaction makes me want to quit it ASAP. Been sailing in the same storm for too long!

I didn't know that Clozapine also has GABA agonism activity, that's why it's potent/superior I guess. I did know however, it's the best med to counter negatives, probably because of it's d-serine agonism.

#4 Galaxyshock

• 1,468 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:18 AM

Dopamine partial agonist can decrease dopaminergic activity in areas where it's high and at the same time increase activity in areas where it's low. I assume that's why they can have activating qualities. Some of the rare side effects of Aripiprazole are similar to dopamine full agonists.

Perhaps one could replicate Clozapine's additional effects with something like Baclofen and supplemental D-Serine.

Also, have you tried nicotine patch for negative symptoms? I find nicotine increases motivation and enhances cognition, and using a patch you'll have steady levels and minimize the risks.

#5 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:19 PM

Dopamine partial agonist can decrease dopaminergic activity in areas where it's high and at the same time increase activity in areas where it's low. I assume that's why they can have activating qualities. Some of the rare side effects of Aripiprazole are similar to dopamine full agonists.

Perhaps one could replicate Clozapine's additional effects with something like Baclofen and supplemental D-Serine.

Also, have you tried nicotine patch for negative symptoms? I find nicotine increases motivation and enhances cognition, and using a patch you'll have steady levels and minimize the risks.

Is there a set and proven Dopamine partial agonist that is known for being the best or does it vary from person to person? I feel that perhaps my amphetamine addiction could greatly be reduced with a Dopamine partial agonist but it seems like only pramipexole and ropinirole are helpful but I may be wrong.

#6 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:20 PM

I've read that's somewhat is also the case with Cariprazine. Because it's eliminated very slowly from the body it can cause undesirable side-effects?

Never tried Baclofen, though used Sarcosine (which is more potent than D-Serine) for more than 5 years, each day (started in '10). Sarcosine changed so much for me, it was a life saver! I think it actually cured some NMDA receptor functions that I don't need it anymore. I've been off Sarcosine for more than 3 years, though, the persisting/disabling symptoms prior to the use of Sarcosine never returned (well, the only symptom left: once in a while I have an increase in unwanted thoughts which I can't relate to, that's when I use a little scoop of Sarcosine, which is enough for weeks/months). 

I was a heavy smoker because nicotine enhances my cognition (especially concentration), don't notice anything about increased motivation though. I switched to vaping in '13/'14 and it's impossible to switch back to tobacco (tobacco, became to heavy for me to handle). Maybe a very good idea to use a patch when going to bed.. As you may know I still suffer from sleep maintenance insomnia and I NEED nicotine each time I wake up or I can't fall back to sleep!

Edited by YoungSchizo, 23 May 2018 - 07:21 PM.

#7 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:30 PM

Is there a set and proven Dopamine partial agonist that is known for being the best or does it vary from person to person? I feel that perhaps my amphetamine addiction could greatly be reduced with a Dopamine partial agonist but it seems like only pramipexole and ropinirole are helpful but I may be wrong.

The only two existing partial agonist are Abilify and Cariprazine. The third one is already available in the US but has yet to be approved and marketed in Europe, that's Brexpiprazole/Rexulti (the successor of Abilify), that's a so called modulator of Dopamine. Afaik, Pramipexole is a full agonist of Dopamine. Anyway, don't know the answer to your question though, just giving some info. 

#8 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:26 PM

The only two existing partial agonist are Abilify and Cariprazine. The third one is already available in the US but has yet to be approved and marketed in Europe, that's Brexpiprazole/Rexulti (the successor of Abilify), that's a so called modulator of Dopamine. Afaik, Pramipexole is a full agonist of Dopamine. Anyway, don't know the answer to your question though, just giving some info.

Hmmm I didn’t know Abilify was one. I used to be prescribed abilify with lamical and then the dr switched the ability out for Trileptal. Is Abilify a good thing to use or does it cause side effects?

#9 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:46 PM

Hmmm I didn’t know Abilify was one. I used to be prescribed abilify with lamical and then the dr switched the ability out for Trileptal. Is Abilify a good thing to use or does it cause side effects?

I have no idea honestly.. only tried it for a week many years ago. I'm trying to get Cariprazine because it's a more potent drug than Abilify. If I can't get Cariprazine and/or if it doesn't work out for me I will try Abilify (until it's successor Rexulti gets to the EU market). As Galaxyshock says, although the chances are lower than with full antagonists, Abilify can also cause severe/unwanted side-effects like Tardive Dyskenesia. From what I read, I prefer Cariprazine and Rexulti as a partial agonist.

#10 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:25 PM

I have no idea honestly.. only tried it for a week many years ago. I'm trying to get Cariprazine because it's a more potent drug than Abilify. If I can't get Cariprazine and/or if it doesn't work out for me I will try Abilify (until it's successor Rexulti gets to the EU market). As Galaxyshock says, although the chances are lower than with full antagonists, Abilify can also cause severe/unwanted side-effects like Tardive Dyskenesia. From what I read, I prefer Cariprazine and Rexulti as a partial agonist.

I definitely got Tardive Dyskenesia when I first added amphetamines to my antipsychotics. I was originally prescribed Depakote and noticed after a few months I’d blink really hard and scrunch my face but it was mild. But amphetamines greatly exacerbateed it. Same thing when on Abilify, Trileptal and lamical. I’ve been off all antipsychotics for around 5-6mo now and don’t have those sides anymore even with amps.

#11 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:29 PM

Another odd thing is when I was into competitive bodybuilding I used cabergoline for7 years straight. At the time I didn’t know what it was we were just dumb bodybuilders who knew it lowered prolactin which is increased from HGH and certain steroids so it was added to our regimen. We thought it was necessary as anti-estrogen’s were but I used it for 7 years straight. I stopped cold turkey and did not notice any side effects. My prolactin remained at zero for about 4 months after stopping it but it later returned to normal values. I think I didn’t get any permanent side effects because dosing was so much lower than what normally prescribed. Are used around .5mg 2x per week. I got a cardiac MRI and echocardiogram done after reading the side effects it can have on the heart but then again those were from Parkinson’s patients taking much larger doses closer to 1 mg per day.

Edited by John250, 26 May 2018 - 08:30 PM.

#12 Galaxyshock

• 1,468 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:47 AM

I consider Panax Ginseng a good augment to anti-psychotics as it binds to the same receptors like 5-HT2A and D2, but seems to nicely regulate neurotransmission so that it helps with both positive and negative symptoms. Ginseng has even shown to have kappa-opioid antagonistic properties which can decrease symptoms of fear, dysphoria and numbness which are often very hard to treat.

#13 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:18 AM

I consider Panax Ginseng a good augment to anti-psychotics as it binds to the same receptors like 5-HT2A and D2, but seems to nicely regulate neurotransmission so that it helps with both positive and negative symptoms. Ginseng has even shown to have kappa-opioid antagonistic properties which can decrease symptoms of fear, dysphoria and numbness which are often very hard to treat.

I never feel much from supplements but I love all of ginsengs health benefits. I take panax as well as Siberian and Jiaogulan to get all the effects.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#14 Galaxyshock

• 1,468 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:12 AM

I never feel much from supplements but I love all of ginsengs health benefits. I take panax as well as Siberian and Jiaogulan to get all the effects.

Ginseng is pretty much the king of herbs. There's a whole research journal dedicated to it. Vietnamese Ginseng is very rare herb from the same species as panax and seems to have some unique properties on top of the benefits of "true ginseng". Would like to try it one day but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cariprazine, antipsychotic, latuda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users