- - - - -

Liver Stuff

vit d carnitine taurine

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 experimenting

• 639 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 02:20 AM

I note that if I don’t take high doses of Vit D, or L carnitine, I seem to have serious trouble digesting fats. It’s almost as if I “feel” the grease on my left side; fatty foods leave me sluggish and seriously affect body comp too.

What gives? I assume this is some sort of mild liver issue? Anyone else in the same boat, and if so how did you solve it?

#2 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:08 AM

Bile secreted by the liver is what digests fats, so stimulating bile flow should help.  

Lecithin (phosphatidylcholine) thins bile helping it to flow easier.  You can get all you need from eggs (the lecithin is in the yolk), or from a supplement.  A choline poor diet can result in thick/muddy bile that doesn't flow well.  Upping your lecithin intake should show results within a couple weeks time.

Curcumin stimulates bile flow, and this should help too.  Enhanced absorption formulas are best.  There are two different types of enhanced curcumin.  Those that use piperine, aka bioperine, which is an extract from black pepper.  Some find the black pepper extract added to these curcumin formulas irritating to their GI tract, so if black pepper bothers you, piperine might too.  

Micronized curcumin doesn't use piperine.  Life Extension's "Super Bio-Curcumin" is micronized/enhanced absorption without piperine.  

Hope you're not on a PPI (acid blocker) med, as these can cause issues digesting meats, which you may mistake for poor fat digestion.  

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:43 AM

Thanks sir.

Do I need to worry about 1) ACH issues on lethicin and 2) libido drop on curcumin?

Frustrated as I think I’m overdoing the Vit D to compensate for this issue but that brings with it a range of issues.

#4 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:51 PM

Bile secreted by the liver is what digests fats, so stimulating bile flow should help.

Lecithin (phosphatidylcholine) thins bile helping it to flow easier. You can get all you need from eggs (the lecithin is in the yolk), or from a supplement. A choline poor diet can result in thick/muddy bile that doesn't flow well. Upping your lecithin intake should show results within a couple weeks time.

Curcumin stimulates bile flow, and this should help too. Enhanced absorption formulas are best. There are two different types of enhanced curcumin. Those that use piperine, aka bioperine, which is an extract from black pepper. Some find the black pepper extract added to these curcumin formulas irritating to their GI tract, so if black pepper bothers you, piperine might too.

Micronized curcumin doesn't use piperine. Life Extension's "Super Bio-Curcumin" is micronized/enhanced absorption without piperine.

Hope you're not on a PPI (acid blocker) med, as these can cause issues digesting meats, which you may mistake for poor fat digestion.

No PPi.

Can poor liver function result in brain fog?

I’m a little unnerved because I’m young (29) and hardly drink so not sure why I would need something like ppc.

#5 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:40 PM

I have taken LE's Super Bio-Curcumin for over half a decade now, & haven't had any libido issues. I'm 62, so I expect I'd notice at this age.  A 30 day trial might be helpful to see if it effects you adversely.  

People used to eat a lot of eggs until they were demonized for the cholesterol content.  Dietary cholesterol doesn't affect serum cholesterol all that much, but apparently that didn't matter.  

Interestingly, choline didn't used to be classified as an essential nutrient, but once eggs fell out of favor, this was reconsidered in 1997/98, and an RDA was set.  

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2782876/

Deficiency symptoms include: "Impaired fat metabolism & transport" fatigue, & #14 here

http://www.healthsup...de.com/choline/

reads: "as choline is critical for brain function and intake decreases with age, deficiency might lead to impaired memory or brain function or senile dementia (shortage of acetylcholine in the brain has been associated with Alzheimer’s disease)"

Your possible brain fog connection?  Regarding the ACH, lecithin should support this (better ACH levels), but I haven't seen any evidence an excess of lecithin might cause problems with overproduction of ACH.

A 30 day trial to see if this might help shouldn't be risky, & might prove enlightening.  

#6 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:00 PM

Milk thistle, TUDCA and Picorhiza kurroa extract (Picroliv) are my go to’s for liver. Also Atrichoke Extract.

#7 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:23 PM

I have taken LE's Super Bio-Curcumin for over half a decade now, & haven't had any libido issues. I'm 62, so I expect I'd notice at this age. A 30 day trial might be helpful to see if it effects you adversely.

People used to eat a lot of eggs until they were demonized for the cholesterol content. Dietary cholesterol doesn't affect serum cholesterol all that much, but apparently that didn't matter.

Interestingly, choline didn't used to be classified as an essential nutrient, but once eggs fell out of favor, this was reconsidered in 1997/98, and an RDA was set.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2782876/

Deficiency symptoms include: "Impaired fat metabolism & transport" fatigue, & #14 here

http://www.healthsup...de.com/choline/

reads: "as choline is critical for brain function and intake decreases with age, deficiency might lead to impaired memory or brain function or senile dementia (shortage of acetylcholine in the brain has been associated with Alzheimer’s disease)"

Your possible brain fog connection? Regarding the ACH, lecithin should support this (better ACH levels), but I haven't seen any evidence an excess of lecithin might cause problems with overproduction of ACH.

A 30 day trial to see if this might help shouldn't be risky, & might prove enlightening.

Thanks all. Gonna try to isolate-starting on PPC today hopefully. I react fast to supps so I’m guessing I’ll feel effects within a few days if not immediately.

Curcumin has so many other effects that I’m going to hold off for the moment until I can see how PPC goes.

#8 Galaxyshock

• 1,462 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:12 AM

Milk thistle, TUDCA and Picorhiza kurroa extract (Picroliv) are my go to’s for liver. Also Atrichoke Extract.

I agree on Milk thistle, it improved my liver values despite heavy drinking last winter. Though it does have anti-androgenic / estrogenic sides on some people. Also, Schizandra is pretty effective liver tonic I believe.

If digestion is an issue, maybe throw in some digestion enzymes.

#9 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:35 AM

I agree on Milk thistle, it improved my liver values despite heavy drinking last winter. Though it does have anti-androgenic / estrogenic sides on some people. Also, Schizandra is pretty effective liver tonic I believe.

If digestion is an issue, maybe throw in some digestion enzymes.

Pretty impressed by this:

https://examine.com/...rorhiza-kurroa/
  • Agree x 1

#10 Galaxyshock

• 1,462 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:00 AM

Pretty impressed by this:

https://examine.com/...rorhiza-kurroa/

Wasn't aware of this herb, indeed seems very promising. Only one product on iHerb that contains it though.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:49 PM

Olympus Labs K1ngs Gaurd has it with a whole host of other herbs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vit d, carnitine, taurine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users