* * * * * 1 votes

Maca increases progesterone.

progesterone testosterone hormones

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ruth

• 114 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:03 AM

https://rbej.biomedc.../1477-7827-3-16 Maca contains sterols, such as campesterols (27.3%), ergosterol (13.6%), brassicasterol (9.1%) Δ7,22-ergostadienol (4.5%) and sitosterol (45.5 %) [23], the latter having phytoestrogen activity. It has been suggested that β-sitosterol could cross the placenta [24]. In humans, it has been demonstrated that sitosterol can be excreted in milk and therefore, enter the neonate [25]. Maca chemical composition includes sitosterol, this compound would exert its effect on pups.

Treatment with Maca also increases male sexual behavior [12, 13, 14] and sperm production in mice and rats [7]. It is probable that main effects of Maca increasing uterine weight and litter size were not due to an estrogenic effect but to a progestin-like one, since Maca chemical composition include other sterols besides phytoestrogen sitosterol. Progesterone would certainly affect both, uterine weight via progesterone receptors, as well as prevent abortion. In mice and rats, progesterone is much more important in maintaining pregnancy than estrogen [16, 17]. Moreover, physiological level of progesterone acts in conjunction with androgens to facilitate copulatory behavior in male rats and mice [26, 27]. In addition, one of the most potent phytoestrogenic substance -6-(1,1-dimethylallyl) naringenin (6-DMAN)- did not have any effect on uterine wet weight in ovariectomized rats [28]. Our study demonstrates that Maca increases uterine weight. It is suggested that this activity may be produced by a progestin-like effect. However, more studies need to be performed to clarify this proposed mechanism.
  • Informative x 2
  • like x 1

#2 jacobjerondin

• 134 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 August 2018 - 02:09 AM

Great share Ruth! I'm planning on getting some Maca very soon, and this just makes me more stoked about it!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 August 2018 - 03:53 PM

I believe the Black maca is the best form. There is yellow, red and black.

#4 jacobjerondin

• 134 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 August 2018 - 06:50 PM

Why do you say that John? Based on your research or experience? I am definitely interested in how the different forms compare; I know a lot of people like to buy products that combine all of them.

#5 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 August 2018 - 06:58 PM

Why do you say that John? Based on your research or experience? I am definitely interested in how the different forms compare; I know a lot of people like to buy products that combine all of them.

I can’t find the article that talked about black marker being the best purity but it seems they all hold their own benefits.

http://www.ewellness...-specific-needs
  • Informative x 1

#6 funkdakarma

• 40 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 September 2018 - 02:23 PM

For me Maca is one of those supplements that affect people differently based on their body chemistry. For me, there was no discernible increase to sex drive, and I experienced a terrible jitteriness after taking it. 

• Informative x 1

#7 Galaxyshock

• 1,460 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 04:33 PM

Indeed black maca is the strongest, I found it very invigorating. It's also highly nutritious.

#8 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:31 PM

Indeed black maca is the strongest, I found it very invigorating. It's also highly nutritious.

What was your dosage? I ordered some from:
https://www.themacat...ASABEgLNCfD_BwE

Eight capsules is 6 g and it says to take 6 to 12 capsules daily I tried six didn’t notice much maybe high doses are needed?

#9 Galaxyshock

• 1,460 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 07:47 AM

What was your dosage? I ordered some from:
https://www.themacat...ASABEgLNCfD_BwE

Eight capsules is 6 g and it says to take 6 to 12 capsules daily I tried six didn’t notice much maybe high doses are needed?

I started with one teaspoon and increased up to 2 tablespoons a day. The effects tend to build up so I'd say take it for at least a week to see how it affects.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 jacobjerondin

• 134 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:10 AM

This is really fascinating, since according to a poster from reddit, done right progesterone can be really pleasurable and even euphoric (due to the conversion to allopregnanolone).  Here's a direct quote from her (I added the bold, link):

To some extent, though I'm sure a much more limited one, allopregnanolone from high, potentiated doses of micronized progesterone makes me feel like this--physically wonderful, and blissfully content and disinhibited yet still fairly cognitively functional (compared to say, benzos, which seem to pretty well obliterate my cognition and motivation at doses required to feel that level of anxiolysis). I've written a lot of long, detailed posts and comments on it.

I reached out to her to hopefully get links to those detailed posts about progesterone and how we can get to the root of replicating those effects.

Anyway, on the subject of maca, I'm looking for the most confidence/assertiveness boosting brand, preferably an extract for increasing my social dominance (which is currently quite lacking). I've heard the sevenhills brand on Amazon is really good, so I'm looking into that rn, but any suggestions are appreciated.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: progesterone, testosterone, hormones

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users