How much do pills boost Nad+ compared to excercise or fasting

nad+ fasting excercise

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 male_1978

• 109 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:57 AM

Hello,

as i have written earlier i am taking NR-Supplements (at the moment about 250 mg / day) to increase the level of nad+ in my cells. The supplies "Elysium Basis" has the same amount / day in their capsules and claims that this leads to an average 40% increase of NAD+

However, what i would like to know is how much this is compared to natural ways of increasing NAD+. Does anyone know how much NAD+-increase can be obtained by fasting or doing excercise? And do these effects stack?

Thanks!

#2 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 02:25 PM

Those are both extremely important questions, on which unfortunately we have literally zero data — even in rodents.

• Good Point x 2
  • Agree x 1

#3 male_1978

• Topic Starter
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 02:56 PM

Ok but seriously: Now that NR is considered safe for humans it should be realatively easy to measure this with human subjects before/after excercise of fasting, or no? How hard / expensive is it for a lab to measure the amount of NAD+ in a tissue sample or in blood?

• like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#4 Oakman

Posted 17 June 2018 - 04:58 PM

It apparently is not so simple. For starters, NAD+ levels are different in different tissue, so what should be measured and how? Blood is one thing, but blood is a transport mechanism, not the active need/use site for NAD+ in the body. And of course, speaking of humans (vs lab animals), you need a controlled, well designed study of suitable participants (human studies are high cost), and again, blood testing is simpler, other areas, not at all simple.

My theory is use all mechanisms readily available to raise NAD+ levels (supplements, diet, activity), with the hope and intention that overlapping mechanisms will offer the best hope of success, whatever that is reality is. One day the science will catch up, but I don't have the time or inclination to wait for it all to be determined.

• Agree x 4
  • Good Point x 3

#5 male_1978

• Topic Starter
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:09 AM

Thanks for your explanations Oakman.

I made a (not very scientific) experiment yesterday by combining my usual dose of 200 mg NR with 3 hours of cardio excercise, which was quite a lot for me. At least i can say that today i experience similar effects that i had when taking NR the first times ( sleeping 1-2 hours less and waking up earlier, a very focussed mind, lot of "steam" in the body the next day). With only the NR dose i usually have less of these effects because they seems to become less when taking NR for several months (like when your body gets used to coffee).

So, i would assume that it stacks and that the effects of a few hours cardio excercise might somehow be comparable to 100-200 more mg of NR. But thats just by personal experience.

#6 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:30 AM

I have sometimes skipped dinner, went to gym and taken NR and only ate about 20-24hours later. I also sense it stacks. Personally I believe the exercise really stacks. But I guess there is a ceiling to all this stacking + there is only so much SIRTs can do for us.

Looking at results with mice and fasting its certaily promising and we somewhat miss longevity studies with NAD+ boosters in mice. However we do have Sinclair's spectacular mouse results showing anti-aging effects not seen with fasting.

My take is that NAD+ boosting by itself is more usefull than fasting by itself. but doing fasting ontop may trigger additional benefits.

Edited by stefan_001, 18 June 2018 - 08:14 AM.

• Agree x 2
  • Disagree x 1

#7 Oakman

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:19 PM

As far as I've been able to determine, NR does indeed 'stack' well with other NAD+ and SIRTUIN boosters that I take daily. I don't really fast, but I am in a constant state of what I'd call 'minimal eating', that is, eating small amts of food rather than full blown meals. That's recently resulted in 6 lb loss since April, and as the weather has improved, I do ~2 hr cycling (23-30 miles) perhaps 3-4 times a week. It all seems to fit together nicely, I feel better than I think I should at my age, but that's just my personal feeling.

• Informative x 1

#8 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 05:46 PM

However we do have Sinclair's spectacular mouse results showing anti-aging effects not seen with fasting.

To what study/studies do you refer here?

• Good Point x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nad+, fasting, excercise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users