Telomere

telomere

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 June 2018 - 11:29 PM

What’s considered a good telomere for 35-year-old male? My results were 8.9kpb which said I am 67% higher than most my age but I can’t really find any charts anywhere showing average telomere length in kpb? Thanks

#2 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:15 AM

Here you go -- scroll down to fig. 1. Note that any correlation is going to be on the weak side.

#3 John250

• Topic Starter
  • 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 June 2018 - 04:31 PM

Here you go -- scroll down to fig. 1. Note that any correlation is going to be on the weak side.

Maybe I’m missing it but I don’t see actual numbers. I see the graph but it’s so vague with all the points. Is there anywhere that has actual #’s like 35yr old male range 7-9kpb,etc...

Is my # of 8.9kpb considered poor,average, above average,etc..?

Thanks

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 drtom

• 84 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 04:39 PM

Maybe I’m missing it but I don’t see actual numbers. I see the graph but it’s so vague with all the points. Is there anywhere that has actual #’s like 35yr old male range 7-9kpb,etc...

Thanks

I think what Turnbuckle is gently suggesting is that your telomere length is (slightly) influenced by your father's telomere lengths...but NOT by the "massive arsenal of supplements" you take.

#5 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:01 PM

Thanks

You'd have to pick it off the line shown on the chart. But given that there's so much scatter, it's evident that telomere length is not a good measure of age or potential longevity. In fact, unless it is really low it seems almost meaningless. A better measure is epigenetic age. See Fig. 1 in this paper

Edited by Turnbuckle, 18 June 2018 - 05:03 PM.

• Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

#6 John250

• Topic Starter
  • 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:05 PM

Excellent thank you for the answers

#7 QuestforLife

• NO

Posted 21 June 2018 - 08:23 AM

A better bet might be a Life Length telomere test.

https://lifelength.com/

I am not sure if it is available in the US yet. It is in the UK, but you need to have a venous blood draw in a clinic.

It still has the limitation of only being a test of leukocyte telomere length, but they give you a graph of all your telomere lengths - shorts, longs, and the average - to give you an idea of the distribution. The average really doesn't tell you much on its own.

The root of the problem IMO isn't that telomere have no bearing on aging, they obviously do, but we don't have a very good way to measure them if we are just going to be looking at leukocytes. Epigenetic Horvath style tests have the opposite problem. They are very well correlated with aging, even from a blood or urine sample, but its not apparent that there is any causal link with aging; it might just be a clock.

It will be fascinating in the years ahead to see these two clocks come together, as I'm sure they must be related.

#8 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 21 June 2018 - 08:37 AM

I don't know how to get my biomarkers tested in the UK

#9 QuestforLife

• NO

Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:53 AM

I don't know how to get my biomarkers tested in the UK

If you email Life Length, they will email you back with a list of clinics who can do the blood draw. They are all in London, I think.

For example, I am getting it done here: http://www.wimpoleaesthetics.co.uk/

Hope this helps.

Edited by QuestforLife, 21 June 2018 - 09:54 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: telomere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users