- - - - -

Meditation suggestions to replace TV, browsing, etc

meditation focus sleep

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 StevesPetRat

• 565 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:09 AM

Does anyone have suggestions about meditation or breathing exercises to replace the usual crap people do when they want to zone out for a bit (television, reading a half dozen random articles online, dumb anti-social networking apps, etc)? Watching some dumb TV show or reading a random news article that will just get thrown on the pile of miscellaneous mental junk doesn't feel particularly restful, pleasurable, or useful (at least to me).

Personally, I have tried mindfulness meditation (find it very hard to do without a guide) and "shamanic" meditation (using that name loosely -- just listening to drums in a dark room, having a "waking dream" of sorts. My subconscious knit together some interesting stuff while doing this, but I stopped being able to do it when I OD'ed on NSI-189 and haven't gotten it back). However, both these techniques generally require a specific environment and a set amount of time. I'm looking for suggestions that can be implemented anywhere. Such practices would be of general interest to the forum as well.

There are a ton of articles online, but I figured this community would have more experiential wisdom to share than most.

• Good Point x 1

#2 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:35 AM

Does anyone have suggestions about meditation or breathing exercises to replace the usual crap...

Find a vipassana retreat center, and commit to ten-days. You'll get instruction about how to sit and how to breathe. Then you'll sit and breathe, in silence, in a group setting, and you'll practice it for ten-hours a day for ten-days.

You'll pay what you can afford to pay; others around you will be doing the same.

You'll be fed simple vegetarian meals, and you'll be grateful. When the sun sets, you'll sleep in a bunk bed in a shared, gender-separated room. You'll use a common bathroom that you'll help keep clean.

You'll put away the devices.

A few hours before the sun rises, you'll return to sitting and breathing in darkness and silence until the sun rises. With breaks for eating and the bathroom, you'll sit and breathe until the sun sets.

The ten-day silent meditation may be one of the most difficult and rewarding experiences you've encountered. It might change who you think you are, what you think you're doing with your life, and you may alter some life goals.

Or maybe not that.

After you complete ten-days of this, you'll leave. You're encouraged to keep practicing meditation on your own -- two hours a day in silence is a good start. You may return to the retreat center for another ten-days whenever you feel like it.

Meanwhile, you're encouraged to be kind and respectful to other people, to other non-human animals, and to the natural world of plants and beings with whom we share the small planet. You're encouraged to practice eating a modest, whole foods, plant-based diet, and to try not to cause any more suffering.
  • like x 1

#3 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:04 PM

Personally, I have tried mindfulness meditation (find it very hard to do without a guide) ..

However, both these techniques generally require a specific environment and a set amount of time.

Mindfulness is perfectly suited for practically any situation (while awake). I do it all the time when I commute, wait for something, or while enjoying nature, on the way to falling asleep.. Though good advise by sthira about first getting immersed and good guidance in a retreat-setting.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:22 PM

I weed my garden. It is a somewhat repetitive activity that requires one to remain semi-focused.

Picking a large volume of berries is similar. You concentrate on finding the ripe ones. You get a nice nutritious bucket of food afterward.

Wearing headphones and playing some soothing instrumental music or tones helps as well (while doing a meditative activity.

• like x 1

#5 XenMan

• 49 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:40 AM

I’m going to claim to be a meditation expert due to the insane amount of time I have invested over the last 2 years to reach the highest level in Buddhism which is known as Rigpa. It is one of the few things I’m actually good at.

I will go into details on request, but a summary is that you need a holistic approach that includes a building of skills:

CBT/Zen – to change the way you view yourself and situations as well as your internal monologue

Active Meditation – seeking out issues and concerns, and then addressing them

Distractive Meditation/Mindfulness – give your brain a rest from the usual rubbish

Everyday Application – use all these techniques through the day

Contemplation – a quiet clear mind

The Middle Path/Doubt – low reactivity to the world

Rigpa – separation of awareness and mind

A good start is to investigate Zen and self CBT. Try exercises such as looking at strong held views from a different perspective and see the validity of other people’s views; even if they are wrong. You need to loosen your mind or things will be harder as you try to quieten it down.

As for meditation start with breath counts, or just concentration on breathing. Start with a small amount each day, such as 5 minutes and build. You know when you have had enough as you will lose focus.

During the day you can start to monitor your thoughts and stop ‘thought hopping’ where you go from one idea to another, as well as limit how long you dwell on one subject. Stop the train of thought with some breath counts and try to keeps thoughts on the moment, life’s practical admin and how you would like to think.

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • Informative x 1

#6 Benko

• 221 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 02:44 AM

There are many many different kinds of meditation.  Yes, some are basically zoning out for a period of time,  Given that many of us are stressed much of the time, being zoned out allows for some period of relaxation.  In that sense, it is better than nothing, but meditation is capable of more.

Strictly meditation is being present e.g. Mind's talking about being present when he weeds the garden above, or being present when you wash your hair, really being present to your life in general.  However there are things in the way of us being present and so there are "meditations" (really meditational exercises) which if they are effective help us to be more present.  Meaning practicing meditation/meditational exercises can help us to be more present the rest of the day. Whether it improves your life during the rest of the day is the point.  

The reason we need this help is because our minds are very clever and very active e.g. you may have 10 thoughts in short period of time and you are aware of only 2 or 3.  IF you can by force of will pay attention and notice all ten thoughts that would be great.  But that does not work for most (myself certainly included) and worse, you can't tell that it is not working effectively.   THere are however things which if practiced over time can allow you to see more of those thoughts.  It is more compllicated than that, but that is a start.  The point being that what you are not aware of can control you, but if you become aware e.g. of those thoughts they have less power over you.

If you are interested, PM me and I can e-mail you an article I wrote on this topic awhile back as well as point you to some things you may find helpful.

• Good Point x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: meditation, focus, sleep

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users