- - - - -

Glutamic Acid Excitotoxic?

glutamic acid glutamine glutamate

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 experimenting

• 639 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:14 PM

Think I’m on the schizoid scale so in theory this should help, but obviously toxicity is a huge worry. Seen arguments both ways. What’s consensus?

#2 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:55 AM

Glutamatergic excitotoxicity is known to occur during alcohol withdrawal, & magnesium & zinc shown to help.  

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/21645973

Glutamatergic hyperfunctioning during alcohol withdrawal syndrome: therapeutic perspective with zinc and magnesium

Interestingly, it appears mag & zinc limit toxicity without interfering with normal neurological functioning of glutamate pathways.  

I'm not well read on all this, but though I'd point you in the right direction to a possible solution.  

I suspect mag might be the more important factor, & I've found mag citrate to be the easiest on my tum.  Low doses taken more often are probably better than high doses taken once a day or so.  I bought a pill cutter & found 200mg tabs online (400mg is the only size I've seen in stores).  I still cut these 200mg tabs in half and take only 100mg/day.  Too much mag can cause loose stool! 

Hope this helps.  

Edited by Dorian Grey, 14 July 2018 - 05:09 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:53 AM

Glutamatergic excitotoxicity is known to occur during alcohol withdrawal, & magnesium & zinc shown to help.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/21645973

Glutamatergic hyperfunctioning during alcohol withdrawal syndrome: therapeutic perspective with zinc and magnesium

Interestingly, it appears mag & zinc limit toxicity without interfering with normal neurological functioning of glutamate pathways.

I'm not well read on all this, but though I'd point you in the right direction to a possible solution.

I suspect mag might be the more important factor, & I've found mag citrate to be the easiest on my tum. Low doses taken more often are probably better than high doses taken once a day or so. I bought a pill cutter & found 200mg tabs online (400mg is the only size I've seen in stores). I still cut these 200mg tabs in half and take only 100mg/day. Too much mag can cause loose stool!

Hope this helps.

Thanks-I was actually talking about supplementing with it, given I have low NMDA function which interferes with daily life. I’ve found mixed research as to whether this is dangerous in low doses. Interestingly I’m a terrible responder to magnesium-because it antagonizes nmda it makes my back pain unbearable.

#4 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 02:27 PM

Increasing Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase (GAD) enzymatic behavior and conversion of glutamate to GABA might be an approach.  Taurine might be helpful, as well as, improved glutathione status.

L’Amoreaux, W., Marsillo, A., & El Idrissi, A. (2010). Pharmacological characterization of GABAA receptors in taurine-fed mice. Journal Of Biomedical Science17(Suppl 1), S14. doi:10.1186/1423-0127-17-s1-s14

#5 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:00 PM

Increasing Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase (GAD) enzymatic behavior and conversion of glutamate to GABA might be an approach. Taurine might be helpful, as well as, improved glutathione status.
L’Amoreaux, W., Marsillo, A., & El Idrissi, A. (2010). Pharmacological characterization of GABAA receptors in taurine-fed mice. Journal Of Biomedical Science, 17(Suppl 1), S14. doi:10.1186/1423-0127-17-s1-s14

What’s a way to increase glutathione?

Unfortunately taurine antagonizes NMDA, makes back pain worse.
And why not glutamic acid on its own?

#6 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:56 PM

What’s a way to increase glutathione?

Unfortunately taurine antagonizes NMDA, makes back pain worse.
And why not glutamic acid on its own?

NAC
ALA
Whey protein
Milk thistle
cruciferous vegetables
Methylation Nutrients (Vitamins B6, B9, B12, and biotin)
Selenium
Vitamin C and E
Turmeric
Sleep
  • like x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#7 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:47 PM

NAC
ALA
Whey protein
Milk thistle
cruciferous vegetables
Methylation Nutrients (Vitamins B6, B9, B12, and biotin)
Selenium
Vitamin C and E
Turmeric
Sleep

Nonspecific with a host of side effects...

#8 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:12 PM

Also, from what I understand, L glutamic acid is not “free” and the dangerous glutamate is the “D” form?

#9 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:37 PM

Copper disregulation is a real problem in this time. Understand it and all will be revealed. Citrates antagonise copper metabolism. Taking Magnesium citrate slows ones reflex reactions amongst other things.
Copper is the elefant in the room. Boron is the missing piece. Methyl is low. Mass poisoning is rife. Beware of nano substances, the new gmo (in relative terms of arrival time).
Just a quick heads up!
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • dislike x 1

#10 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:34 AM

Umm...anyone else?

#11 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 12:22 AM

Bump. Anyone using Glutamic Acid?

#12 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 05:01 AM

Copper disregulation is a real problem in this time. Understand it and all will be revealed. Citrates antagonise copper metabolism. Taking Magnesium citrate slows ones reflex reactions amongst other things.
Copper is the elefant in the room. Boron is the missing piece. Methyl is low. Mass poisoning is rife. Beware of nano substances, the new gmo (in relative terms of arrival time).
Just a quick heads up!

Explain.
  • Cheerful x 1

#13 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 02:30 PM

Increasing Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase (GAD) enzymatic behavior and conversion of glutamate to GABA might be an approach.  Taurine might be helpful, as well as, improved glutathione status.

L’Amoreaux, W., Marsillo, A., & El Idrissi, A. (2010). Pharmacological characterization of GABAA receptors in taurine-fed mice. Journal Of Biomedical Science17(Suppl 1), S14. doi:10.1186/1423-0127-17-s1-s14

Increasing Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase would be a very good plan.  I just can't figure out how to reliably do it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 GABAergic

• 349 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:12 PM

for the thread starter, why are you worried about excitotoxicity? this only happens when you are addicted to either alcohol or benzos and abuse them for a long time and suddenly stop. that is not concern for anyone else. excitotoxicty is a complex problem that doesnt just happen to anyone.

• Needs references x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Good Point x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: glutamic acid, glutamine, glutamate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users