- - - - -

Curcumin use

curcumin

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 prunk

• 227 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:29 PM

How many of you are using curcumin at the moment, and what form of curcumin are you taking? Also you can elaborate, if you wish, why you're taking curcumin.

#2 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:20 PM

I'm taking Meriva for inflammation.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:51 PM

I take Life Extension's "Super-Bio" Curcumin, as it is a micronized formula that doesn't rely on piperine for absorption enhancement.  From what I've read, the amount of piperine in the Curcumin 95 & other enhanced absorption formulas isn't significantly high, but black pepper sometimes causes me bowel inflammation.  

I use curcumin primarily for iron chelation, which I believe to be the primary benefit from this supp.  

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/16545682

I typically have a few brewskie's after dinner, & this is when I take my dose, as alcohol metabolism creates oxidative stress, which free/labile iron greatly exacerbates.  

#4 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:42 PM

I take Life Extension's "Super-Bio" Curcumin, as it is a micronized formula that doesn't rely on piperine for absorption enhancement. From what I've read, the amount of piperine in the Curcumin 95 & other enhanced absorption formulas isn't significantly high, but black pepper sometimes causes me bowel inflammation.

I use curcumin primarily for iron chelation, which I believe to be the primary benefit from this supp.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/16545682

I typically have a few brewskie's after dinner, & this is when I take my dose, as alcohol metabolism creates oxidative stress, which free/labile iron greatly exacerbates.

If you don’t want iron chealation could you take your iron supplements in the morning and Curcumin at night?

#5 Malf

• 79 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:57 AM

Ive taken all types of Curcumin

the only one that seems to work is that  Novasol type I got the one from Solgar called full spectrum but its expensive

The other stuff like life extension super bio, and jarrow mervida are all crap and didn't seem to work

its like they just put filler or the stuff wasnt potent and probably lost potency in handling they store it in a hot room or it traveled in piping hot heat.

Edited by Malf, 19 July 2018 - 01:57 AM.

• Ill informed x 2
  • dislike x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#6 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:34 AM

If you don’t want iron chealation could you take your iron supplements in the morning and Curcumin at night?

The half-life of curcumin appears to be around 6-7 hours, so it should be largely cleared in 12 hours.  

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3918227/

"Our data indicated that the curcumin half-life was estimated to be 6-7 hours "

Males should be careful about supplementing with iron.  Monitor ferritin and keep it under 100 for optimal health.  Ferritin over 150-200 will accelerate aging and promote oxidative stress.  

https://www.longecit...d-with-disease/

More isn't always better!  

Edited by Dorian Grey, 19 July 2018 - 03:38 AM.

• Informative x 2

#7 prunk

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:33 PM

I had a pretty strange reaction to curcumin, which was very unpleasant. It had a strong negative impact on my attention and working memory - made some really odd mistakes all the time. Has anyone else been experiencing anything similar? I used Longvida from Now Foods.

Edited by prunk, 29 August 2018 - 04:49 PM.

• Agree x 1

#8 Galaxyshock

• 1,466 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 06:34 AM

I just use tablespoon of turmeric with a teaspoon of black pepper. I suspect there's more to turmeric than curcumin so don't like to take one isolated compound.

• like x 1

#9 Oakman

Posted 31 August 2018 - 01:39 PM

I take UltraBotanica UltraCUR, which is a protein attached curcumin. This means it get absorbed readily in the digestive tract, typically with 20 minutes, eliminating absorption problems of typical curcumin products that often pass through the digestive tract mostly unabsorbed. Used for inflammation, and overall health.

#10 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:39 PM

I take UltraBotanica UltraCUR, which is a protein attached curcumin. This means it get absorbed readily in the digestive tract, typically with 20 minutes, eliminating absorption problems of typical curcumin products that often pass through the digestive tract mostly unabsorbed. Used for inflammation, and overall health.

This is excellent as I am looking to get my ferritin levels up so I take iron bisglycinate in the morning and now I can use this in the afternoon and evenings!

#11 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:56 PM

I'm taking Meriva for inflammation.

+1 on this. I got rid of most other joint supplements. Not sure if I want to take it continuously though.....but it works great.

#12 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:32 PM

+1 on this. I got rid of most other joint supplements. Not sure if I want to take it continuously though.....but it works great.

Why not continuously?

#13 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:11 AM

Why not continuously?

I have some hesitation with the idea of downgrading inflammation. Just not sure of potential long term side effects.
  • unsure x 1

#14 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:17 AM

I have some hesitation with the idea of downgrading inflammation. Just not sure of potential long term side effects.

That makes sense but I mean how much decrease in inflammation can a recommended serving of this actually cause. I would think not very much but maybe everyone is different.

#15 Never_Ending

• 170 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:39 PM

If you're using relatively low-medium dosage  I doubt there's any side effects. Curcumin in the form of curry ingredient is used almost everyday in Indian cultures, if it was risky they would have long known .

#16 owtsgmi

• 162 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 11:36 PM

Some say it should only be taken for 6-12 months and then discontinued:

500 mg X 60 capsules. A very powerful natural anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory.  Curcumin is an herb that has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for thousands of years. Published clinical studies have shown curcumin has a wide range of benefits. This a time proven herbal remedy. 

Suggested Use: Take one (1) capsule daily. Curcumin is a temporary exogenous supplement and should be taken only for 6 to 12 months.

I personally took it on and off, but I found it negatively affected libido.

• Good Point x 1

#17 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:36 AM

I would ask what that recommendation is based on. Is there research supporting the idea that longterm negative effects outweigh the benefits after 6-12 months, or is this a made-up rule of thumb? Frankly I doubt such research exists.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#18 Kimer Med

• 254 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 September 2018 - 05:02 AM

I've been taking Meriva Curcumin by Jarrow for a few months to manage chronic inflammation, and it's been working well for me -- better than fish oil.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: curcumin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users