• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Do I need anti-psychotics or anticonvulsants? Help me understand the difference?

antipsychotic anticonvulsant borderline personality disorder ocd

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:14 AM

OK long story short I was on Vyvanse, Dexedrine, Lexapro, Lamical and Trileptal for years. I do not have a diagnosed diagnosis but I have traits of borderline personality disorder, ADHD, anxiety, OCD and depression. They all kind of link together anyway. My psychiatrist said I’m not bipolar I’m not schizophrenic but I do have some type of mood disorder he said he doesn’t know what exactly is and a huge majority of people have mood disorders that can never be officially diagnosed. A while ago I tapered off all my meds(except the amphetamines) to see how I would do and I was fine until the Lexapro I started getting really bad anxiety I started back on lexapro and it pretty much went away. But I formed a new problem which is extreme compulsiveness. And lots of drug seeking behavior. I recently started Abilify and it seemed to help a little but I can’t shake this compulsiveness I have. I avoid situations I procrastinate I don’t want to be around my family all I want to do is research how to get better and take drug combos to feel a certain way that I feel like I need to feel if that makes sense. Part of me is thinking maybe I should just talk to my doctor and go back on my original stack of the Lamical and Trileptal as the augmented drugs with Lexapro. First off I don’t understand why he prescribed both of them if they are both anticonvulsants. Second what role do the anticonvulsants play that antipsychotics do not? What seems better for my symptoms?

Edited by John250, 19 July 2018 - 08:16 AM.

#2 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:22 PM

did you see my post on Dr Amen?

take his free test if you don't want the $$$$ brain scan.

https://www.longecit...ct-brain-scans/

Edited by jack black, 19 July 2018 - 08:23 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 John250

• Topic Starter
  • 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:08 PM

did you see my post on Dr Amen?
take his free test if you don't want the $$$$ brain scan.
https://www.longecit...ct-brain-scans/

I took the quiz but maybe it would be more beneficial for me to get the scan.

Attached Files

#4 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:07 AM

interesting, i got similar results, ie type 8, but a bit better brain health scores. the proposed treatment (combined stimulant/serotonergic/mood stabilizer/anxiolytic) works very well for me, but i'm afraid of dopamine and/or serotinine receptor dysregulation if I take it long term. 

BTW, many anticonvulsants = mood stabilizers

stay away from antipsychotics, they damage your brain

Edited by jack black, 20 July 2018 - 02:36 AM.

#5 John250

• Topic Starter
  • 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:29 AM

interesting, i got similar results, ie type 8, but a bit better brain health scores. the proposed treatment (combined stimulant/serotonergic/mood stabilizer/anxiolytic) works very well for me, but i'm afraid of dopamine and/or serotinine receptor dysregulation if I take it long term.

BTW, many anticonvulsants = mood stabilizers

stay away from antipsychotics, they damage your brain

Yeah I’m thinking of starting back on Lamical and if I find it helps I will ditch the Abilify even though Abilify seems to be the safest antipsychotic.

#6 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:20 PM

Yesterday I scored 45, today I scored just 40 with both outcomes brain-type 8. Don't just blindly rely on these type of tests results, they're bogus. Just like horoscopes.

@John250 you probably doing best to ditch Abilify. I had been merely 3 weeks on it and already one week off. The crippling anxiety somewhat stayed, plus I started to suffer from severe positive symptoms and cognitive decline. Just out of the blue even though there was/is no trigger. What a shit drug (at least for me personally).

• Agree x 1

#7 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:21 PM

these type of tests results, they're bogus. Just like horoscopes.

sure, if you're not familiar with Dr Amen's work and don't understand how he made the test, don't bother to use it.

BTW, don't express your opinion about things you're ignorant about.

Edited by jack black, 20 July 2018 - 05:22 PM.

• Disagree x 1

#8 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:51 PM

sure, if you're not familiar with Dr Amen's work and don't understand how he made the test, don't bother to use it.

BTW, don't express your opinion about things you're ignorant about.

I'm sorry if I offended you. I was just referring to the fact that questionnaires doesn't always tend to reflect the truth. And you're right, I'm not familiar with doctor Amen's work. Though, I wonder, if more people take this test and end up with brain-type 8, if you're still a firm believer in the results of this test!? Therefore I invite more people to take the test and post their results.

In the mean time, before reading your post, I just took some online questionnaires about other issues, the results were quite profound but I do not consider them as ultimate truth. To say "STFU" because of my opinion, is your ignorance, not mine buddy.

Anyway, my post was to John250, my point was that Abilify (for me personally) did more harm than good. 

#9 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:56 PM

4 people whom I know personally took the test so far (including myself, LOL). 2 tested #8 (both closely related, so no surprise), one #9, one #1 (normal). the descriptions of personalities/issues and treatments were spot on.

I guess #8 is next to impossible to diagnose clinically and successfully treated, thus overrepresented here on this forum.

Edited by jack black, 20 July 2018 - 06:01 PM.

#10 John250

• Topic Starter
  • 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:40 PM

4 people whom I know personally took the test so far (including myself, LOL). 2 tested #8 (both closely related, so no surprise), one #9, one #1 (normal). the descriptions of personalities/issues and treatments were spot on.
I guess #8 is next to impossible to diagnose clinically and successfully treated, thus overrepresented here on this forum.

So you don’t have an official diagnosis either? I am read out to her bipolar and schizophrenia. My doctor seems to think I have borderline personality disorder but I still didn’t fit DSM’s criteria I was I believe one or two questions off. He basically said I have some type of mood disorder and not to get hung up on it because many people have different types of mood disorders that not only can never be diagnosed but also they can not even be discovered. The shitty thing about that is so much trial and error treatment medicine.

Also I read took the quiz again and tried to be a little more picky and apparently now I’m a 7. Not sure if that’s good or bad.

Attached Files

Edited by John250, 20 July 2018 - 06:48 PM.

#11 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:42 PM

Therefore I invite more people to take the test and post their results.

Just took this test, turned out a 1 with 82 score. What Amen didn't knew or even I before I took a MRI last year is, that I must have had old brain infarction affecting an area of 1-2 by 3 cm in my left cerebellum. Seems they  recommend in every case:

• REDUCE STRESS
  • INCREASE PHYSICAL EXERCISE
  • SET GOALS & TRACK PROGRESS
  • MENTAL WORKOUTS
  • EAT BRAIN HEALTHY FOODS
  • BUILD A COMMUNITY

..whether one already does or not.

Also low dose multi and probiotic recommended. Regardless of me already taking high or mega doses of all nutrients and herbs. Because of a PAD diagnosis from 10 years ago (it's 60% walking-disability revoked after 6 years), a COPD diagnosis from 4 years ago (asymptomatic), a T2D diagnosis from 3 years ago (controlled with diet), and the remaining ME/CFS symptoms, I'm actually suffering from now.

Edited by pamojja, 20 July 2018 - 06:43 PM.

• like x 1

#12 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:17 PM

Just took this test, turned out a 1 with 82 score. What Amen didn't knew or even I before I took a MRI last year is, that I must have had old brain infarction affecting an area of 1-2 by 3 cm in my left cerebellum. Seems they  recommend in every case:

• REDUCE STRESS
  • INCREASE PHYSICAL EXERCISE
  • SET GOALS & TRACK PROGRESS
  • MENTAL WORKOUTS
  • EAT BRAIN HEALTHY FOODS
  • BUILD A COMMUNITY

..whether one already does or not.

Also low dose multi and probiotic recommended. Regardless of me already taking high or mega doses of all nutrients and herbs. Because of a PAD diagnosis from 10 years ago (it's 60% walking-disability revoked after 6 years), a COPD diagnosis from 4 years ago (asymptomatic), a T2D diagnosis from 3 years ago (controlled with diet), and the remaining ME/CFS symptoms, I'm actually suffering from now.

The general outcome of the things that are listed are same for anyone with a mental condition. But it's a good thing that many more people take the test and post their results.

• Agree x 1

#13 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:40 PM

The general outcome of the things that are listed are same for anyone with a mental condition.

Only that with PAD, COPD and a T2D diagnosis and remaining ME/CFS symptoms I have everything but a mental condition. No depression, no anxiety, no brain-fog. Admittedly a bid obsessive about regaining my physical health again. But my experience with that did show it needed consistency and persistence in my case to have any remission at all.

one #1 (normal)

Also being a 1 (normal) I'm very skeptical how much such a subjective self-assessment really can have proper diagnostic value. As in my case it didn't even identify an old brain-infarction.

#14 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:00 PM

Only that with PAD, COPD and a T2D diagnosis and remaining ME/CFS symptoms I have everything but a mental condition. No depression, no anxiety, no brain-fog. Admittedly a bid obsessive about regaining my physical health again. But my experience with that did show it needed consistency and persistence in my case to have any remission at all.

Also being a 1 (normal) I'm very skeptical how much such a subjective self-assessment really can have proper diagnostic value. As in my case it didn't even identify an old brain-infarction.

a brain-infarction can have a big burden, not only psychical but also mentally. I know first hand, why you might say? My dad had one (while I was still in my teenage years, I'm 34 now, and he was considered quite young to have a brain-infarction) and I saw him go from fulltime workaholic whom saw everything as business to a sweet emotional guy whom eventually (over the years) put his family relations first because he couldn't handle the stress of work anymore and eventually realized he couldn't do the "workaholic" things anymore he was used before. 

You might physically feel the same, but let's face it, a brain-infarction is not something you can just simply "work-out".. Just like something mental. 

Edited by YoungSchizo, 20 July 2018 - 09:07 PM.

#15 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:28 PM

You might physically feel the same, but let's face it, a brain-infarction is not something you can just "work-out".. Just like a mental thing. 

A infarction of the cerebellum would typically cause symptoms:

In humans, the cerebellum plays an important role in motor control. ..Cerebellar damage produces disorders in fine movement, equilibrium, posture, and motor learning in humans.[3]

Since I don't remember having ever experienced any of such impairments, I must assume it to have occurred already as toddler, where it wouldn't be that obvious to outsiders. For example with pneumonia directly at birth, or with the fever-attacks around age 2, or with meningitis at age 7 (where by way of EEG measurements some impaired brain regions where found, at that time thought of being caused by the fever-attacks earlier).

Which only would show how dramatic brain plasticity could balance out lost function of other parts of the brain. Because later as a teen made an apprentice as construction carpenter. And don't believe would have survived juggling at heights walking on beams carrying other roof beams, with all the motor skills required for such feats.

You might physically feel the same, but let's face it, a brain-infarction is not something you can just "work-out".

Well, I did reverse a 60% walking-disabilty from PAD (due to a 80% blockage at my abdominal aorta bifurcation). But I understand that you never experienced such a remission yourself and therefore strongly doubt it.

Edited by pamojja, 20 July 2018 - 09:33 PM.

#16 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:58 PM

So you don’t have an official diagnosis either? I am read out to her bipolar and schizophrenia. My doctor seems to think I have borderline personality disorder but I still didn’t fit DSM’s criteria I was I believe one or two questions off. He basically said I have some type of mood disorder and not to get hung up on it because many people have different types of mood disorders that not only can never be diagnosed but also they can not even be discovered. The shitty thing about that is so much trial and error treatment medicine.

Also I read took the quiz again and tried to be a little more picky and apparently now I’m a 7. Not sure if that’s good or bad.

can you copy and paste? I can't read the description. 

As for the subjectivity, maybe someone who knows you well can give some of the answers?

Edited by jack black, 20 July 2018 - 09:59 PM.

#17 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:06 PM

C'mon, this is just a free questionnaire not a real brain scan. That costs $3000. This is not a diagnostic test. This is self-help freebie Amen gives for people who don't want to go for the real thing. Maybe it's useless for you, but I found it useful.

of course small cerebellar infarct will not give you mental problems. my father had a large cerebellar infarct and that gave him only slight dizziness, enough that he started walking with a cane. Unfortunately a big cerebral one one came near 10 years later and that eventually killed him after 2 years.

#18 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:16 PM

of course small cerebellar infarct will not give you mental problems. my father had a large cerebellar infarct and that gave him only slight dizziness, enough that he started walking with a cane. Unfortunately a big cerebral one one came near 10 years later and that eventually killed him after 2 years.

I'm sorry to hear of your fathers infarcts.

• like x 1

#19 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:24 PM

Well, I did reverse a 60% walking-disabilty from PAD (due to a 80% blockage at my abdominal aorta bifurcation). But I understand that you never experienced such a remission yourself and therefore strongly doubt it.

(I had a clear answer in my mind but) nevermind, good luck with your physical recovery.

#20 John250

• Topic Starter
  • 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:37 AM

can you copy and paste? I can't read the description.
As for the subjectivity, maybe someone who knows you well can give some of the answers?

Just did it again. Score 60. Brain type 7

Brain health 8
Sleep 9
Memory 7
Exercise function 5
Inner peace 6
Mood 5
Flexible thinking 6

Be creative, “out-of-the-box” thinkers
Be restless or strong-willed
Be easily distracted
Be focused only if something is interesting Be persistent
Get stuck on thoughts Be deeply feeling Struggle with moods

About brain type 7

The SPECT scans for Brain Type 7 typically show lower activity in the front part of the brain, in an area called the prefrontal cortex (PFC). Think of the PFC as the brain’s brake. It stops us from saying or doing things that are not in our best interest, but it can also stop creative, out-of-the-box thinking if it works too hard. The PFC is the little voice in our heads that helps us decide between the banana and the banana split. Brain Type 7 may be associated with lower dopamine levels (a neurotransmitterinvolved with focus and motivation) in the brain and may cause people to be more restless, risk- taking, and needing to be very interested in order to stay focused. People with this type may need excitement or stimulation in order to focus (think of firefighters and race car drivers). In addition, people with Brain Type 7 are often take-charge people who won’t take no for an answer. They tend to be strong-willed, tenacious, and sometimes stubborn. They may also worry, have trouble sleeping, and like things to be a certain way. Brain Type 7 often has increased activity in an area called the anterior cingulate gyrus (ACG), also located in the front part of the brain. We think of the ACG as the brain’s gear shifter. It helps people go from thought to thought or move from action to action. It is involved with being mentally flexible and going with the flow. When the ACG is overactive, usually due to low levels of serotonin, people can have problems shifting attention, which can make them persist, even when it may not be a good idea for them to do so.

Brain Type 7 also tends to show increased activity in the limbic or emotional centers of the brain, making them sensitive, empathic, and deeply feeling, but also subject to issues with moods. They may struggle with being more pessimistic and having negative thoughts. The best strategy to balance Brain Type 7 is to find natural ways to boost both dopamine and serotonin. Physical exercise boosts both dopamine and serotonin as does using a combination of certain supplements, such as 5-HTP and green tea. Optimize omega fatty acids in vitamin D.
  • like x 1

#21 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:07 AM

OK, looks like type 8 = type 7 + anxiety. thus he recommends GABA type supplements in type 8.

You should be able to figure out if you have anxiety or not. 

Edited by jack black, 21 July 2018 - 02:10 AM.

#22 John250

• Topic Starter
  • 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 July 2018 - 06:00 AM

OK, looks like type 8 = type 7 + anxiety. thus he recommends GABA type supplements in type 8.
You should be able to figure out if you have anxiety or not.

I definitely have anxiety and my mutations show i genetically produce more glutamate and lower gaba. I think these quizzes are hard to follow when you were are medication and/or recreational drugs. It’s almost as if you have to be on nothing and take the quiz to get your true results. I’m going to try taking it again thinking back 10 years ago how things used to be.
  • Agree x 1

#23 John250

• Topic Starter
  • 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 July 2018 - 06:10 AM

Wow this is pretty sad. 10 years ago before I was ever on medication, addicted to Adderall, didn’t have a nagging wife, etc. my results were totally different

Brain score 67
Brain type 9
People with this type tend to:
Be persistent
Get stuck on thoughts Be deeply feeling Struggle with moods Be motivated
Be restless

People Brain Type 9 are often take-charge people who won’t take no for an answer. They tend to be strong-willed, tenacious, and sometimes stubborn. In addition, they may worry, have trouble sleeping, and like things to be a certain way. This type often has increased activity in the front part of the brain, in an area called the anterior cingulate gyrus (ACG). We think of the ACG as the brain’s gear shifter. It helps people go from thought to thought or move from action to action. It is involved with being mentally flexible and going with the flow. When the ACG is overactive, usually due to low levels of serotonin, people can have problems shifting attention, which can make them persist, even when it may not be a good idea for them to do so.

Additionally, Brain Type 9 tends to show increased activity in the limbic or emotional centers of the brain, making them sensitive, empathic, and deeply feeling, but also subject to issues with moods. They may struggle with being more pessimistic and having negative thoughts.

This brain type also shows heightened activity in the anxiety centers of the brain, such as the basal ganglia, insular cortex, or amygdala. This is often due to lower levels of the neurotransmitter GABA, which helps calm the brain. People with this type tend to be motivated toward a goal. They can feel intense pleasure, but also struggle with feeling anxious or nervous, which causes them to be more cautious and reserved, although more prepared.

The best strategy to balance Brain Type 9 is to find natural ways to boost serotonin and GABA. Physical exercise boosts serotonin as does using a combination of certain supplements, such as 5- HTP and saffron. GABA, magnesium, and theanine can also help, as can omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D.
  • Informative x 1

#24 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:20 PM

You might physically feel the same, but let's face it, a brain-infarction is not something you can just simply "work-out".. Just like something mental.

(I had a clear answer in my mind but) nevermind, good luck with your physical recovery.

..not something you can just simply "work-out".. Just like something mental.

To be utterly honest to you, my experience in reversing a chronic physical disease - told to me by all docs mercilessly progressing and non-reversible, and considered completely non-responsible to not take medications against - really needed utmost clarity and persistence to not give in to these experts opinions. And that's why I think any emotional or mental disturbance can't as easily 'worked-out' as any physical disability. Because the preconditions of mental clarity and consistency is lacking already by definition.

Not that I'm unusually bright at all, but simply by not getting any consistent answer from MDs about benefits and risk for their advised invasive interventions, and me seen out of my mind to even question their usefulness, I got even more suspicious. But here is what I found online about the usefulness of their prescribed intervention to me:

Aspirin to Prevent Cardiovascular Disease in Patients with Known Heart Disease or Strokes

In Summary, for those who took the aspirin:

Benefits in NNT (=number of patients needed to tread to prevent one event)

• 1 in 50 were helped (cardiovascular problem prevented)
  • 1 in 333 were helped (prevented death)
  • 1 in 77 were helped (prevented non-fatal heart attack)
  • 1 in 200 were helped (prevented non-fatal stroke)
Harms in NNT
  • 1 in 400 were harmed (major bleeding event*) *Required hospital admission and transfusion

Statins Given for 5 Years for Heart Disease Prevention (With Known Heart Disease)

In Summary, for those who took the statin for 5 years:

Benefits in NNT
  • 1 in 83 were helped (life saved)
  • 1 in 39 were helped (preventing non-fatal heart attack)
  • 1 in 125 were helped (preventing stroke)
Harms in NNT
  • 1 in 50 were harmed (develop diabetes*) *The development of diabetes is one such unanticipated harm found in a recent large study and it seems likely therefore that this applies to the data above, although this is a best guess.
  • 1 in 10 were harmed (muscle damage)

Stents for Stable Coronary Artery Disease
In Summary, for those who underwent stent placement:

Benefits in NNT
  • No benefit in patients with stable nonacute coronary artery disease in the five-year follow-up period
Harms in NNT
  • 1 in 50 experienced a serious complication such as death, stroke, myocardial infarction, arrhythmia, hemorrhage

Clopidogrel to Prevent Cardiovascular Disease for People Who Have Had Heart Attacks or Strokes

In Summary, for those who took the clopidogrel daily for a year:

Benefits in NNT
  • 1 in 50 were helped (cardiovascular problem prevented)
  • 1 in 77 were helped (non-fatal heart attack prevented)
  • 1 in 200 were helped (non-fatal stroke prevented)
  • 1 in 333 were helped (death prevented)
Harms in NNT
  • 1 in 400 were harmed (major bleeding event*) *Required hospital admission and transfusion
  • 1 in 71 were harmed (rash, compared to aspirin usage)
  • 1 in 91 were harmed (diarrhea, compared to aspirin usage)

Evidence based medicine has become nothing more than a lottery, really. Never mind that these benefits and harms have only thoroughly studied up to 5 years, but nothing is know for their effect for longer durations. Nevertheless, I was told I would have to take these until the end of my life.

With pharmacological psychiatry it is even worse.

• Informative x 1

#25 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 03:32 PM

To be utterly honest to you, my experience in reversing a chronic physical disease - told to me by all docs mercilessly progressing and non-reversible, and considered completely non-responsible to not take medications against - really needed utmost clarity and persistence to not give in to these experts opinions. And that's why I think any emotional or mental disturbance can't as easily 'worked-out' as any physical disability. Because the preconditions of mental clarity and consistency is lacking already by definition.

Not that I'm unusually bright at all, but simply by not getting any consistent answer from MDs about benefits and risk for their advised invasive interventions, and me seen out of my mind to even question their usefulness, I got even more suspicious. But here is what I found online about the usefulness of their prescribed intervention to me:

Evidence based medicine has become nothing more than a lottery, really. Never mind that these benefits and harms have only thoroughly studied up to 5 years, but nothing is know for their effect for longer durations. Nevertheless, I was told I would have to take these until the end of my life.

With pharmacological psychiatry it is even worse.

I guess you have a very valid point!

I took my dad as example, symptom-wise he almost recovered fully, the symptoms that stayed however is that he sometimes struggle with is speech and a black dot in his eyesight. And I guess those are symptoms that he can't recover from, no matter what he tries.

Edited by YoungSchizo, 21 July 2018 - 03:33 PM.

#26 Dichotohmy

• 201 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:55 PM

dkRoDLg.png

I think this assessment is somewhat accurate for myself, with the important exceptions on "brain health" and "sleep."

My sleep is hot garbage, and has been for years. I think the reason I got a 9 on sleep is because, as I've sarcastically noted time and again, my sleep looks great on paper. What that means is that I have moderate-severe non-restorative sleep, but I very rarely experience sleep onset or sleep maintenance insomnia, no hypersomnia, never experience REM-related disturbances, and seem to be sub-threshold on sleep-disordered breathing metrics. In regards to brain health, there's no way that should rate a 7/10 either for reasons I don't care to rehash.

The "personalized recommendations" are all things I either already do or things that I don't do because I have found them to make me worse. The recommendations I got are exactly the same as what pajoma posted, so I bet it's just a form list that is served up as a token response for the sake of recommending something. These interventions should not be insightful to anyone with an ounce of common sense or half an ounce of concern about their own health. At least in this instance, these unhelpful recommendations are free. Such recommendations are condescending and anger inducing when, as is so often the case, it is a paid doctor giving them because the doctor has nothing more helpful to say.

Brain Type 2 is best optimized by boosting dopamine levels to strengthen the PFC. Higher protein, lower carbohydrate diets tend to help, as do physical exercise and certain stimulating supplements, such as green tea, rhodiola, and ginseng. Any supplement or medicine that calms the brain may make this type worse.

The road to nowhere of "boosting dopamine," I know it well.

Edited by Dichotohmy, 23 July 2018 - 06:09 PM.

• Informative x 1

#27 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:48 PM

John250, take this for what it is worth.

Stimulants prescribed or acquired elsewhere can easily lead to drug seeking behavior. You might be caught in a cycle where you need them for some very valid reason, but you might have crossed a point that they are used beyond therapeutic doses. Tough to go back to taking what little doses might have helped originally. This turns into drug seeking behavior for some. Not even just stimulants. .

I am sorry to hear what you are going through. As far of all the members recommendations, I have no opinion. I will say, that I have seen Lamictal work in as high of doses as 200 mg twice per day. Titration has to be done carefully; as if it is too quick, Stevens-Johnson syndrome is a nasty side effect.

#28 John250

• Topic Starter
  • 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:07 PM

John250, take this for what it is worth.

Stimulants prescribed or acquired elsewhere can easily lead to drug seeking behavior. You might be caught in a cycle where you need them for some very valid reason, but you might have crossed a point that they are used beyond therapeutic doses. Tough to go back to taking what little doses might have helped originally. This turns into drug seeking behavior for some. Not even just stimulants. .

I am sorry to hear what you are going through. As far of all the members recommendations, I have no opinion. I will say, that I have seen Lamictal work in as high of doses as 200 mg twice per day. Titration has to be done carefully; as if it is too quick, Stevens-Johnson syndrome is a nasty side effect.

Thank you. I’ve used it before so I don’t have that syndrome. I didn’t realize the dosage needed to be so hot. I was reading for unipolar depression is more than likely what I have 100mg/day was sufficient.

#29 John250

• Topic Starter
  • 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:32 PM

It’s been about a month since I added Abilify to my Lexapro. I started with only 1.25mg for about 10 days and have been on 2.5mg for 20 days. I think I’m going to add Lamical back in as I didn’t really notice it doing much at the time I was using it but now that my symptoms are worse without it I want to introduce it again to see if I notice a change. I think I will discontinue Abilify as I don’t want to take an antipsychotic especially if I don’t need it. Do you think I’m fine to just stop since I’m at such a low dose or should I go back to 1.25 mg for a few weeks? Thanks

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#30 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:30 PM

It’s been about a month since I added Abilify to my Lexapro. I started with only 1.25mg for about 10 days and have been on 2.5mg for 20 days. I think I’m going to add Lamical back in as I didn’t really notice it doing much at the time I was using it but now that my symptoms are worse without it I want to introduce it again to see if I notice a change. I think I will discontinue Abilify as I don’t want to take an antipsychotic especially if I don’t need it. Do you think I’m fine to just stop since I’m at such a low dose or should I go back to 1.25 mg for a few weeks? Thanks

I think it's better if you taper it off - I don't know that you need several weeks, but at least one week on 1.25 mg is probably a good idea. Then perhaps a few days at an even lower dosage as well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antipsychotic, anticonvulsant, borderline personality disorder, ocd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users