• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Experimenting with high dose magnesium (5+ grams)

magnesium

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Jiminy Glick

• 235 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:05 PM

Has anyone experimented with high doses of magnesium in water? I had 5-6 grams of magnesium glycinate in water last night before bed and I felt amazing. I am wondering if anyone does this with magnesium. It makes you feel amazing. I will go to 7 grams tonight and give an update on sensations. 

#2 Jiminy Glick

• Topic Starter
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 04:47 PM

Apparently in my research I have found it is not good to supplement it in high amounts because the magnesium builds up in your body. I have not found how much is too much though. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:09 PM

I had 5-6 grams of magnesium glycinate in water last night before bed and I felt amazing. I am wondering if anyone does this with magnesium. It makes you feel amazing

It would be rather truly amazing if you wouldn't get diarrhea with such a high amount of elemental Mg.

Magnesium glycinate, also known as magnesium diglycinate or magnesium bisglycinate, is the magnesium salt of glycine (one magnesium and two glycine molecules), and is sold as a dietary supplement.[1][2] It contains 14.1% elemental magnesium by mass.

Though then you probably didn't knew that 6g of Magnesium glycinate contains only 0.846g of elemental Mg. And 5.154g of the amino-acid glycine. Each Mg-compound has its own percentage in elemental Mg one has to calculate, but usually is also mentioned in the supplement facts.

I have not found how much is too much though.

Personally with a severe Mg-deficiency I've been taking about 1.5g of elemental Mg a day for 10 years. However, only since I added Mg IVs since November last years it's worst deficiency symptom of very painful muscle-camps has been overcome.

Though again would be very easy to find out with a RBC-Mg test - serum tests are useless - or as a second best whole blood Mg.

Edited by pamojja, 11 August 2018 - 05:13 PM.

#4 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:27 PM

You may wish to check out magnoil

https://raypeatforum...agnesium.23376/

"Our informal tests show that within a few minutes after application the typical effects of increased magnesium levels are observed - i.e. increased temps, pink color of previously pale/blue skin, calmness, anxiolytic effect, and even sedation when higher dose are used. One of the people who tried it has chronic constipation due to IBS-C and reported increased bowel movements - from 1 every 2 days to 2 per day. So, it does look like Magnoil is capable of delivering magnesium systemically and to tissues, but the ultimate test would be more people using it and reporting their results. We are really excited about it, because we don't know of any other product on the market (or in development) that has these features."

Edited by zorba990, 11 August 2018 - 05:28 PM.

#5 Jiminy Glick

• Topic Starter
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:25 PM

It would be rather truly amazing if you wouldn't get diarrhea with such a high amount of elemental Mg.

Though then you probably didn't knew that 6g of Magnesium glycinate contains only 0.846g of elemental Mg. And 5.154g of the amino-acid glycine. Each Mg-compound has its own percentage in elemental Mg one has to calculate, but usually is also mentioned in the supplement facts.

Personally with a severe Mg-deficiency I've been taking about 1.5g of elemental Mg a day for 10 years. However, only since I added Mg IVs since November last years it's worst deficiency symptom of very painful muscle-camps has been overcome.

Though again would be very easy to find out with a RBC-Mg test - serum tests are useless - or as a second best whole blood Mg.

That's true, I worded my title weird. Wouldn't plain magnesium not be absorbed properly? Magnesium glycinate has a high absorption percentage. 

#6 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:32 PM

Wouldn't plain magnesium not be absorbed properly?

Usually it it is. Though there are preconditions which can hinder absorption/increase excretion. Even in my case the high dose did alleviate painful muscle-cramps - therefore some did absorb - it just was never enough to cease them completely.

#7 Jiminy Glick

• Topic Starter
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:40 PM

You may wish to check out magnoil

https://raypeatforum...agnesium.23376/

"Our informal tests show that within a few minutes after application the typical effects of increased magnesium levels are observed - i.e. increased temps, pink color of previously pale/blue skin, calmness, anxiolytic effect, and even sedation when higher dose are used. One of the people who tried it has chronic constipation due to IBS-C and reported increased bowel movements - from 1 every 2 days to 2 per day. So, it does look like Magnoil is capable of delivering magnesium systemically and to tissues, but the ultimate test would be more people using it and reporting their results. We are really excited about it, because we don't know of any other product on the market (or in development) that has these features."

How expensive is it? You rub it on your skin?

#8 Jiminy Glick

• Topic Starter
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:44 PM

Usually it it is. Though there are preconditions which can hinder absorption/increase excretion. Even in my case the high dose did alleviate painful muscle-cramps - therefore some did absorb - it just was never enough to cease them completely.

Disregarding the IV's, what product do you use for elemental magnesium pills? It is just plain magnesium pills? 

#9 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 07:35 PM

Disregarding the IV's, what product do you use for elemental magnesium pills? It is just plain magnesium pills? 

There are no plain Mg pills. There is for example Mg-citrate, Mg-glycinate, Mg-malate, Mg-lysinate, Mg-taurinate, Mg-ascorbate, Mg-threonate, Mg-arginate, Mg-sulfate - which I all trialed the first couple of years. Each contains a different percentage of elemental Mg.

Then I came across this post by niner in 2013. Since I didn't find a particular improvement with any of the distinct forms, due to niner's post I also started to use cheap Mg-oxide. And indeed, just the elemental total Magnesium amount supplemented a day would result in a somewhat alleviation of the symptom.

Now many years later mainly sulfate, oxide and citrate. At doses now providing together about 2.5 g/d of elemental Magnesium.

Edited by pamojja, 11 August 2018 - 07:37 PM.

#10 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:48 PM

Wait, did you dissolve 50 capsules that are 100mg each?

#11 Jiminy Glick

• Topic Starter
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:13 PM

Wait, did you dissolve 50 capsules that are 100mg each?

No I weighed out 5 grams of magnesium glycinate powder from the company Bulk Supplements. 

Edited by Jiminy Glick, 11 August 2018 - 11:13 PM.

#12 Jiminy Glick

• Topic Starter
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:19 PM

There are no plain Mg pills. There is for example Mg-citrate, Mg-glycinate, Mg-malate, Mg-lysinate, Mg-taurinate, Mg-ascorbate, Mg-threonate, Mg-arginate, Mg-sulfate - which I all trialed the first couple of years. Each contains a different percentage of elemental Mg.

Then I came across this post by niner in 2013. Since I didn't find a particular improvement with any of the distinct forms, due to niner's post I also started to use cheap Mg-oxide. And indeed, just the elemental total Magnesium amount supplemented a day would result in a somewhat alleviation of the symptom.

Now many years later mainly sulfate, oxide and citrate. At doses now providing together about 2.5 g/d of elemental Magnesium.

Okay magnesium oxide has 60.3% of magnesium by mass but I heard very little is absorbed. But yeah so I can even increase my 5 grams of magnesium glycinate and be safe.  

It was honestly one of the best feelings I have ever had. That is a good amount of glycine though too. 

#13 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:59 PM

How expensive is it? You rub it on your skin?

Yes it's topical dmso based product.

#14 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:58 AM

I work in a labor & delivery unit of a woman's hospital, & we give boatloads of mag sulfate to halt premature labor.  

https://www.healthli...gnesium-sulfate

"Magnesium sulfate is given only intravenously. A woman is given an initial infusion of 4 to 6 grams over 15 to 30 minutes, and then a maintenance dose of 2 to 3 grams per hour."

I'm not too good at math, but this looks like 52-78 grams per day?  YIKES!  Looks like ultra high doses should be safe.  Apparently this therapy can go on for several days, & the fetus is getting this dosage too.  I'd invest in some diapers and toilet cleaner if you're going to try this orally.  

Interestingly, the patients don't much like the way the high dose mag makes them feel.  Washed out, sleepy and weak.  My girlfriend gets tension headaches that sometimes wake her up in the night and she takes 100mg mag citrate before bed to help relax her muscles.  She seems to think this works well.  

Moderation in all things (and to thine own self be true!)

Edited by Dorian Grey, 12 August 2018 - 07:20 AM.

• Informative x 2

#15 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:40 AM

"Magnesium sulfate is given only intravenously. A woman is given an initial infusion of 4 to 6 grams over 15 to 30 minutes, and then a maintenance dose of 2 to 3 grams per hour."

I'm not too good at math, but this looks like 52-78 grams per day?  YIKES!  Looks like ultra high doses should be safe.  Apparently this therapy can go on for several days, & the fetus is getting this dosage too.  I'd invest in some diapers and toilet cleaner if you're going to try this orally. 

My package insert gives the same dose for pre-eclampsia, though only updo 24-48 hrs post partum.

One of the 10ml solution ampules 50% contains 4930 mg Magnesiumsulfate-Heptahydrate, which again contains 486,1 mg elemental Magnesium = 20 mmol (and water). To be dissolved in a IV-solution.

Taking the mean of about 2.5g of Mg-sulfate per hour, would add up to about 12 g elemental Mg over 48 hours.

It also says if the plasma concentration exceeds 2 mmol/l, deep tendon reflexes are weakened, at 5 mmol/l they cease and cause breathing-depression. At 6-7.5 mmol/l one enters a coma and with 8 mmol/l breath-paralysis and cardiac arrest occur.

Antidote of IV Mg-intoxication is 10ml of a 10% Calciumgluconate solution IV. Additionally the cholinesterase blocker Neostigmin.

Interestingly, the patients don't much like the way the high dose mag makes them feel.  Washed out, sleepy and weak.

In my case I loved the warmth and calm. Probably because it would mean the end of my 10 years of Sisyphus attempts to get Mg stick to my system. And used the time of the IVs for meditation.

Took about 6 IVs over the course of 6 months, first at much faster intervals, till it ceased muscle cramps completely.

• Informative x 1

#16 KBAnthis

• 91 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:58 AM

I know that I have recently upped my doasge from 400 mg a day to 5 mg per lb of bodyweight as suggested in Magnesium and Copper by Thomas Delauer on YouTube mentioning magnesium burn rate. The new higher dosage seems to be working good.I also recently upped calcium from 1000 to 1500 mg a day and am going to examine stools in the near future to see if it looks like I am getting to much. I am going to the doctor in a couple months to have blood tests done if insurance will cover them. I am soon going to be ordering some copper bisglycinate chelate. Link Posted Below of referenced video.

#17 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 August 2018 - 02:33 AM

I know that I have recently upped my doasge from 400 mg a day to 5 mg per lb of bodyweight as suggested in Magnesium and Copper by Thomas Delauer on YouTube mentioning magnesium burn rate. The new higher dosage seems to be working good.I also recently upped calcium from 1000 to 1500 mg a day and am going to examine stools in the near future to see if it looks like I am getting to much. I am going to the doctor in a couple months to have blood tests done if insurance will cover them. I am soon going to be ordering some copper bisglycinate chelate. Link Posted Below of referenced video.
https://www.youtube....h?v=281NHbjJ1Wo

How are you supposed to know what form of magnesium to get for the 5mg per lb? I mean 2000mg magtein is only 140-150mg actual magnesium so Magtein only would seem unlikely. Should it be a combination of multiple forms say magtein, glycinate, citrate, Bisglycinate chelate,Di-Magnesium Malate,etc..?
  • Good Point x 1

#18 KBAnthis

• 91 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:54 AM

There would need to be scientific studies completed when MagTein is involved, which I am currently using combined with Doctors Best Magensium (Albion Magensium glycinate lysinate) but will soon be switching to Albion Magnesium Bisglycinate Chelate due to lower cost and that I consume plenty of lysine in my diet already, which not everyone does. I enjoy the feeling of the glycinate chelate compared to the malic acid chelate much more. I have used Magnesium Sulfate, Concentrace (Great Salt Lake Desalinated Magnesium Chloride with trace minerals), Magnesium citrate, magnesium lactate dihydrate, MagTein, and magnesium glycinate lysinate chelate, along with the others over the years that were in various vitamin and mineral tablets. Now I am using the Doctors Best 200 Grams powder and the MagTein 120 grams powder. Soon it will be bulk orders of Magnesium Bisglycinate Chelate by Albion. After I compare this to downtime from MagTein I will decide if it is worth bringing back on the regiment. While I have noticed a difference taking it I am not sure if Magnesium Bisglycinate chelate can simply replace it at a lower cost. The future looks bright and I will enjoy seeing what new studies bring. I justified the cost of MagTein due to a general magnesium deficiency over the years so figured it would not hurt. Now that I have factored in the magnesium burn rate I must note that the quality of my day-to-day life has increased substantially. So in my opinion I would suggest whichever magnesium supplement that you personally enjoy the most. I enjoy the general well-being feeling as well as the bio-availability of the options I have chosen. 

Edited by KBAnthis, 13 August 2018 - 03:57 AM.

#19 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:14 AM

I’m 240lbs and currently use 2g magtein and 400mg glycinate. I think I’ll throw in a few other forms to hit 2000mg daily. I figure a combo of multiple forms wouldn’t be a bad idea.

#20 KBAnthis

• 91 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:22 AM

2000 mg seems high, do you mean 1200 mg? (5 mg times 240 lbs = 1200 mg) I would advise starting off slowly by gradually adding till you reach your saturation point , or loose stools, and then backing off from there. Then again I was able to go to 5 mg per lb of bodyweight and did not get loose stools so maybe 2000 mg is what you need. Seems high to me though. I never got loose stools at 5 mg per lb and seem to be thriving on eye balling the magnesium I am taking so maybe I am taking 2000 mg. I am going to start weighing it now that I think about it. I am also using Bororganic( boron glycine chelate) and really enjoying the combination with potassium iodide. As of now I am supplementing all major and minor minerals except for potassium, phosphorus, sodium, and chloride. I am not supplementing these since I get them readily in my planned meals. The soil is salty in some areas so I get the salt from greens and the potassium and phosphorus from beans and rice since that is what is given to the plants to make them grow. Soon I am going to switch my regiment around to where I supplement minerals and water soluble vitamins only. I get enough fat soluble vitamins from whole foods all ready, like cod liver oil, kale, sunflower seeds (raw and hulled), and beef liver. After reading how soils can get depleted so easy I figure why risk it and just supplement the minerals, after all they are readily available and now with advanced chelation technology they are better than ever. I know my quality of life has skyrocketed since this approach over the last couple weeks and am really enjoying the feeling of adequate nutrition. Cheers!

#21 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:59 PM

if you weighed out 5g of magnesium glycinate you did not get 5g of magnesium.

• Good Point x 1

#22 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:22 PM

2000 mg seems high, do you mean 1200 mg? (5 mg times 240 lbs = 1200 mg) I would advise starting off slowly by gradually adding till you reach your saturation point , or loose stools, and then backing off from there. Then again I was able to go to 5 mg per lb of bodyweight and did not get loose stools so maybe 2000 mg is what you need. Seems high to me though. I never got loose stools at 5 mg per lb and seem to be thriving on eye balling the magnesium I am taking so maybe I am taking 2000 mg. I am going to start weighing it now that I think about it. I am also using Bororganic( boron glycine chelate) and really enjoying the combination with potassium iodide. As of now I am supplementing all major and minor minerals except for potassium, phosphorus, sodium, and chloride. I am not supplementing these since I get them readily in my planned meals. The soil is salty in some areas so I get the salt from greens and the potassium and phosphorus from beans and rice since that is what is given to the plants to make them grow. Soon I am going to switch my regiment around to where I supplement minerals and water soluble vitamins only. I get enough fat soluble vitamins from whole foods all ready, like cod liver oil, kale, sunflower seeds (raw and hulled), and beef liver. After reading how soils can get depleted so easy I figure why risk it and just supplement the minerals, after all they are readily available and now with advanced chelation technology they are better than ever. I know my quality of life has skyrocketed since this approach over the last couple weeks and am really enjoying the feeling of adequate nutrition. Cheers!

Well 1200mg would be the 5mg/lb but he also talks about how you need more with stress, resistance training,etc... but I’ll definitely work my way up in increments of 250-500mg. My gut is pretty good nothing really gives me stomach aches.

#23 KBAnthis

• 91 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:24 AM

I have been taking a lot of Magnesium since seeing that video and thinking about it. I was laying in bed wondering how on earth I could be craving something and I realized it was more minerals. Not more food, not more fat, protein, or carbs. I was craving minerals and started increasing my magnesium from there. I need to start weighing the increments and see how I feel as I go. I am going to stop taking a multivitamin I have decided. I am just not sure about the copper quality. I may order the MitoSynergy copper powder, or may just increase grass fed and finished beef liver. I wonder if the beef liver has type 1 copper in it. Exciting times to see the new products coming out. I have since switched to freeze dried liver powder and am deciding on ordering more fresh liver. I just ran out recently and am trying freeze-dried, which supposedly takes 11 lbs to make 200 grams of beef liver powder. That would imply there is a lot of copper. Being able to get more local liver , as the freeze-dried is from new Zealand,makes me wonder which one I should choose.

Edited by KBAnthis, 14 August 2018 - 06:29 AM.

#24 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:27 PM

yes and works somewhat. I always get dirreah when i increase the dose even if its within the rda but it goes away after few days on the new dose.

#25 KBAnthis

• 91 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 01:54 PM

I have personally used Mitosynergy Copper 1 Niacin stored in nutrapro virgin cod liver oil since I was more active on this thread. Also I switched to Magnesium Chloride and Calcium Chloride as my goto Cal Mag. Occasionally I will do egg shell powder with a meal, but often I will make a solution using RO water and Calcium Chloride.  I normally these days do not add much extra magnesium through supplement. I do know that taking the magnesium chloride really seems to boost my brain magnesium. It has more of an effect then magtein in some ways. Though I quit taking magtein, I took it on and off up till a couple months ago, and switched to magnesium chloride. I do not add salt to my food. I get sodium from other sources. I sometimes get 600 mg of magnesium through diet, if not I supplement. Many times I still do supplement even at that level. So daily I am getting normally 6-1000 mg of magnesium and around 13-1800 mg of calcium. Potassium has a different effect and I do not supplement much of that through potassium chloride. I do not do much in a solution if I take some, less than 500 mg but that may be way to much for people, so be careful when supplementing potassium. The other electrolytes give me different results and I am normally supplementing them more. Sometimes I get 3500 mg potassium and 300 mg sodium through natural diet, maybe more sodium and less potassium. With a child I think high magnesium foods and some ground egg shells or shellfish shell powder for calcium would be smartest but I am not sure. Maybe Calcium Bisglycinate which isn't best tasting. I know with it maltodextrin (non-gmo) and silica is added but small amounts. I stay away from dairy except butter. Though on occasion do consume small amounts of other dairy. 

#26 Oakman

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:40 PM

This Supplement Can Cause Cardiac Arrest

I'm hopeful most don't overdue this, but it's worth mentioning.

• Good Point x 1

#27 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 11:28 PM

see my reply where I said 5g of magnesium glycinate is not 5g of magnesium.  It's mostly glycinate.  My role is to keep people from seeing this thread and taking 5g of magnesium.

• Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#28 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 February 2022 - 03:20 AM

More is not better. if you have to take such high dose to feel anything maybe your supplement is underdosed lying about the quantiity 

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magnesium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users