• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Vitamin D over 50ng/ml increases all-cause mortality?

vitamin d

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:03 PM

This is a 2014 meta-analysis, but I didn't know about it:

https://www.research...ydroxyvitamin_D

The conclusion was that Vitamin D even at 30ng/ml causes significant increases in all-cause mortality.

I'm at over 40ng/ml and wondering if I should cut out the supplementation for a while.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#2 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:58 PM

Doesn't surprise me at all. That's what to be expected from non-randomized trials. Where association can't prove causation, but may lead to a hypothesis to be tested in further trials.

There are just too many confounding variables. The most likely being that the diagnosis of a chronic disease is enough incentive to start to supplement. Most often the chronic disease gives already enough reason for earlier mortality, which also the vitamin D is unable to prevent

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 11:01 PM

Nope , it says the opposite. One needs a level above 30 to see a reduction.
“ Serum 25(OH)D concentrations less than or equal to 30 ng/mL were associated with higher all-cause mortality than concentrations greater than 30 ng/mL (P < .01). Our findings agree with a National Academy of Sciences report, except the cutoff point for all-cause mortality reduction in this analysis was greater than 30 ng/mL rather than greater than 20 ng/mL

Meta-analysis of All-Cause Mortality According to Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D | Request PDF. Available from: https://www.research...ydroxyvitamin_D [accessed Aug 20 2018].
  • like x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#4 smithx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 11:18 PM

Sorry, it was this study and some others I misplaced:

https://academic.oup.../8/2644/2823270

This one says that over 60ng/ml was associated with increased mortality, with over 250,000 subjects studied.

Also this story:

https://www.google.c...RTXBImh8gDINdyz

and this admittedly very vague link from the story:

https://www.amjmed.c...4/fulltext#sec7

Edited by smithx, 20 August 2018 - 11:21 PM.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#5 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 03:12 AM

I've been wondering if the recommended levels might be a bit high, & how they were actually determined. 

I sunbathe during the Summer months to get my D.  Had levels checked at the end of last Summer and was shocked when I pulled a 29 flagged as LOW.  This was after sunbathing at solar noon (around 1:PM daylight saving) once every few weeks for an hour to an hour & half at a time.  I also wear shorts & T shirt most days and get plenty of time outside during the day.

I supplement 2000 IU/day during the Winter when you can't get D from the sun.  Checked it again this Spring, & was down to 23 (LOW).  It seems somehow unnatural to think regular sunbathing during the Summer & regular mid-level supplementation during the Winter might still result in a substantial deficiency.  

I'm a bit reticent to start frying myself every week or upping my supp dose to 5K/day as I've read too much D may be associated with calcifications.  Morley Robbins (the magnesium man) opines too much D can disable functionality of Vitamin-A, much like too much zinc can push copper into obscurity.  Robbins also opined the competitive issues between too much D hampering A might lower ceruloplasmin, buggering copper and iron transport.  

I'm curious how Mother Nature could have screwed up so badly by evolving an organism that would be chronically deficient without continuous high level supplementation.  I know man used to spend a lot more time outdoors, but I expect even a neanderthal would have enough sense to avoid being out in the mid-day sun too long.  

Edited by Dorian Grey, 21 August 2018 - 03:30 AM.

• Agree x 1

#6 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:53 AM

Dorian, do you have low cholesterol? I have read that this may be a cause of low vitamin D even when taking sunbathes. I have also read that you only produce vitamin D during the first ten minutes, if that is true, taking the sun one hour and a half once a week may be not better than taking it ten minutes once a week, which sounds like too little.

According to Bredesen, levels above 50ng/ml are optimal for cognitive functioning.
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Informative x 1

#7 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 04:25 PM

Total cholesterol is running in the 230s (unmedicated).  

Thanks for the tip regarding shorter, more frequent sun exposure.  I'll give this a try while there's still enough noon UVB (the Fall Equinox is the end of solar vitamin D till Spring!)

I'll give Bredesen a google.  Nervous about long term high dose supplementation though.  My motto with supps has long been "more isn't always better"!  

• Agree x 1

#8 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 09:21 PM

like too much zinc can push copper into obscurity.

So now we learned that pill form of copper won't even be used by your body.

#9 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 09:40 PM

So now we learned that pill form of copper won't even be used by your body.

Some recommend supplementing copper if you're going to regularly supplement zinc to avoid the imbalance, but I wouldn't touch supplemental copper with a barge pole.  

http://www.townsendl...copper1013.html

I chelate most minerals.  Mag & zinc the only ones I supplement (in moderation of course!)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 baccheion

• 154 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:36 AM

I've been wondering if the recommended levels might be a bit high, & how they were actually determined. 

I sunbathe during the Summer months to get my D.  Had levels checked at the end of last Summer and was shocked when I pulled a 29 flagged as LOW.  This was after sunbathing at solar noon (around 1:PM daylight saving) once every few weeks for an hour to an hour & half at a time.  I also wear shorts & T shirt most days and get plenty of time outside during the day.

I supplement 2000 IU/day during the Winter when you can't get D from the sun.  Checked it again this Spring, & was down to 23 (LOW).  It seems somehow unnatural to think regular sunbathing during the Summer & regular mid-level supplementation during the Winter might still result in a substantial deficiency.  

I'm a bit reticent to start frying myself every week or upping my supp dose to 5K/day as I've read too much D may be associated with calcifications.  Morley Robbins (the magnesium man) opines too much D can disable functionality of Vitamin-A, much like too much zinc can push copper into obscurity.  Robbins also opined the competitive issues between too much D hampering A might lower ceruloplasmin, buggering copper and iron transport.  

I'm curious how Mother Nature could have screwed up so badly by evolving an organism that would be chronically deficient without continuous high level supplementation.  I know man used to spend a lot more time outdoors, but I expect even a neanderthal would have enough sense to avoid being out in the mid-day sun too long.

Magnesium insufficiency can also result in poor conversion/activation of vitamin D. Calcification due to hypercalcemia is usually prevented by vitamin K(2; 10 IU D3 : 2 mcg+ MK-4) and magnesium.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vitamin d

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users