Lithium testing

lithium

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:16 PM

I was thinking about trying lithium Orotate but I would first like to know what my natural lithium levels are. I read an article where a doctor said if you are not taking lithium a blood test is worthless and the only accurate method is a hair analysis. Does this sound accurate? Thanks

#2 John250

• Topic Starter
  • 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:16 PM

Anyone?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 owtsgmi

• 162 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:30 PM

I took a hair test and it showed ZERO lithium.  I started taking lithium orotate a few years ago and noticed a positive mental change.  Still taking it.

https://www.evenbett...tissue_analysis

#4 John250

• Topic Starter
  • 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:00 PM

I took a hair test and it showed ZERO lithium. I started taking lithium orotate a few years ago and noticed a positive mental change. Still taking it.

https://www.evenbett...tissue_analysis

If it was it zero do you think maybe the test was faulty? Have you re-tested since you have been supplementing? Thanks

#5 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:42 PM

Only tested lithium twice in whole blood in a distance of 2 years: 0.05 and 0.06 mg/L, with a normal range of 0.01-0.05.

Tested it in hair 8 times every year, in average it's been 0.02 ug/g, 0.01-0.06 range. The same years of the whole blood tests both at the lower end at 0.01 ug/g. Got the gut feeling with lithium whole blood gives better quantitative results. Have been getting about 2.3 mg supplemental lithium for the last 10 years.

#6 John250

• Topic Starter
  • 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:48 PM

Only tested lithium twice in whole blood in a distance of 2 years: 0.05 and 0.06 mg/L, with a normal range of 0.01-0.05.

Tested it in hair 8 times every year, in average it's been 0.02 ug/g, 0.01-0.06 range. The same years of the whole blood tests both at the lower end at 0.01 ug/g. Got the gut feeling with lithium whole blood gives better quantitative results. Have been getting about 2.3 mg supplemental lithium for the last 10 years.

Interesting because I read whole blood is not an accurate measurement and only hair is the most accurate. What have you noticed from supplementing with it?

#7 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:53 PM

Interesting because I read whole blood is not an accurate measurement and only hair is the most accurate. What have you noticed from supplementing with it?

Most supplements I take have no immediate effects, lithium is one of them. But synergistic effects in my case with many allegedly non-reversible chronic conditions over the long term has been huge. (at that post also those nutrients listed, where I could notice direct effects)

Edited by pamojja, 09 October 2018 - 08:54 PM.

#8 airplanepeanuts

• 352 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:26 AM

I also think that Lithium is a great thing to supplement. Also it is my understanding that the common supplemental dosage is so small that it shouldn't cause any problems really.

#9 John250

• Topic Starter
  • 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:10 PM

Seems like most lithium Orotate supplements are 5mg.
I take 10mg Lexapro and don’t want any possibilities of serotonin syndrome so I’m wondering if I should try a very low dose like 1-2mg.

#10 owtsgmi

• 162 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:38 PM

I don't think the test was faulty because my wife had a detectable reading (although low).  FWIW... If you look at the sample test from my link above.. that one shows 0 lithium as well.

As far as dosages go, the standard LO pill contains 4.8mg elemental lithium, which is very low compared to dosages historically given to manic depressive patients, for example.  They take the carbonate form and in doses as high as 1800mg per day.

A good source of info is here:

https://www.selfhack...its-of-lithium/

Edited by owtsgmi, 10 October 2018 - 04:44 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#11 James42S

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 October 2018 - 09:19 PM

Have you already tried? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lithium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users