Photo

The Conservatism Inherent to Human Nature Strives to Kill Us All

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:37 PM

All people are conservative, their first impulse being to preserve the status quo. There are few examples of day to day life that is so terrible it will not be defended against change. Near all change is resisted, viewed with suspicion, and rouses resentment against the effort of will and thought required. This is the case whether or not the change is positive. The greater the change, the more that people dig in their heels. These highly conservative urges are set deep within the core of the human condition, a part of the primate evolutionary heritage of hierarchy and state of mind.

Now consider that we are proposing to up-end everything to do with aging, to change everything in the trajectory of a life through the introduction of rejuvenation therapies. To change the view of parents and grandparents, to change relationships with all older people, to throw out all long term plans for the future and replace them with different ones. The result will be a world made enormously better, in the sense that the disease, suffering, and slow death of later life will diminish rapidly and eventually go away entirely. Yet people are genuinely slow to buy in to this vision: it is a struggle to discard an accepted, known certainty (even if it is of aging, pain, and death) in order to take on the unwanted effort of engaging with future change (even if it is an end to that aging, pain, and death). So people stick with what they know.

This is a deep and serious flaw in our species. Our inherent conservatism strives to kill us in this era of rapid progress in biotechnology, by encouraging us to reject the greatest and most beneficial applications of new life science technologies. It is possible to bring an end to aging in the decades ahead, but that will require the sort of massive funding and widespread support that attends efforts to treat cancer. It requires an acceptance that the new status quo - for now - is to live in a world that strives for healthy longevity, in which the future of a life has an uncertain and unbounded upside. Everything changes for the better, but all planning and assumptions must be reworked. This sweeping change in the public view of aging has yet to happen, and as a consequence funding for rejuvenation research remains anemic.

The Status Quo of Aging

One of the reasons why the idea of rejuvenating people isn't all that easy to sell is that it challenges the status quo. For good or bad, we're used to the fact that our health goes south on us as time goes by, ultimately killing us if nothing else does. That's not a nice certainty to have, but our species is one of planners; we tend to prefer bad certainties to uncertainty. For example, some people want to be certain that, at some point, they won't be fit for work anymore and will need to retire; they prefer this over the uncertainty of not knowing how they'd make a living at age 150.

That's not the only reason. Radical change requires radical rethinking of anything affected by the change itself; as rejuvenation would affect our social contracts, the job market, future planning, our idea of life milestones, of family, what it means to be old, and many other things, it would take a lot of rethinking - which is something humanity generally does only grudgingly and on its own sweet time.

Think about it: "Granny" is more likely to make you think of a sweet, gray-haired lady with large glasses on her nose baking a cake than of an attractive girl out one late night with friends. Yet, in a world in which comprehensive rejuvenation is common, the granny and grandpa that inhabit our collective imagination would simply not exist; rather, you'd find that grannies and grandpas in their late 80s can't be told apart from people in their 20s; elderly would look just as young as "truly young" people, would be just as healthy, and would be engaged in the activities they prefer rather than having their activities limited by their declining health.

This is only one example out of many more new situations that we, having grown up in a world plagued by aging, would have to get used to; newer generations born in a post-aging world would hardly have any problem with it and would probably end up wondering how anyone could possibly have opposed it in the past. Examples like this are different from concerns such as overpopulation in that they don't represent a potential but tangible issue that might arise as a consequence of rejuvenation; people may have problems with biologically young elderly people simply because they're new and unfamiliar ideas, not because they pose any actual problem.

View the full article at FightAging
  • Agree x 2
  • Needs references x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#2 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:45 AM

"All people are conservative"

No. They aren't. In fact, the Western world is addicted to change. 

• Agree x 2
  • Needs references x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Oakman

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:32 PM

The 1st paragraph is not even close to being correct or sensible....except when it comes to religion...and aging. The rest, yeah most likely. When I mention longevity and things that I do to extend my lifespan and existence, many people's first reaction is a small laugh (not a good sign lol) then they don't know what to say...which says it all.

#4 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:54 PM

Maybe when we have something that actually repairs the damages of aging then people won't laugh, mock, disbelieve, whatever. Talk is cheap, and results will change minds. But where is even one therapy? Follow the money, it's caged in Calico.

#5 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 03:44 PM

People always say they are advocates for change, but when the "rubber meets the road", they dig in their heels, just like Reason claims. That is my experience in life. Western society has changed a lot in the last couple hundred years, but most people have been unwillingly forced to accept the changes.

Cryonics supporters often say that once reversible cryopreservation of a mammal is accomplished, that interest and support will really take-off. I say, that is when we will really have to fight to "stay alive" as an industry/medical option. When people are confronted by the fact that people can be frozen, fixed, and re-animated, they will really start to freak out. I wouldn't doubt even a lot of "progressives" will lead the charge against cryonics.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#6 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 September 2018 - 12:26 AM

I don't think most people are conservative. . .

People know what they like, but they like what they know.

Most people are ignorant of health and longevity sciences. Even my doctor never heard of tudca for liver enzymes. Hell my doctor never heard of milk thistle either. Another doctor friend of ours who specializes in eyes has never heard of the work in restoring elasticity to the lens to correct the need for reading glasses as people age.

Then there is the whole boogeyman the government made AAS and HGH out to be, making them the same class as cocaine and heroine. But go ahead and SMOKE all the pot you want. Chemicals inside the body naturally are illegal to possess. What logic is that?

People are ignorant, plain and simple.
  • Agree x 2

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 nickdino

• 162 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 09:44 AM

I don't think most people are conservative. . .

People know what they like, but they like what they know.

Most people are ignorant of health and longevity sciences. Even my doctor never heard of tudca for liver enzymes. Hell my doctor never heard of milk thistle either. Another doctor friend of ours who specializes in eyes has never heard of the work in restoring elasticity to the lens to correct the need for reading glasses as people age.

Then there is the whole boogeyman the government made AAS and HGH out to be, making them the same class as cocaine and heroine. But go ahead and SMOKE all the pot you want. Chemicals inside the body naturally are illegal to possess. What logic is that?

People are ignorant, plain and simple.

Wow, restoring the elasticity of my eyes lenses would be a much needed change mr. Rocket, what can be done about it?

#8 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 06:04 PM

Wow, restoring the elasticity of my eyes lenses would be a much needed change mr. Rocket, what can be done about it? 

Start a new thread with this question.

#9 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2018 - 01:04 AM

As I recall there is a thread in the supplement forum about it. I can't recall the name of the substance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users