- - - - -

Need help understanding my brain's chemistry

stack dopamine serotonin 5htp tyrosine

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 pompous.p

• 2 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 02:22 PM

Title says it. I have some real mental health issues and jumbled up brain chemistry. I'll try by quick:

- 26 years old

- had severe OCD (obsessive cleaning was my tick)... Have almost entirely solved it with 1 pill of 100mg 5htp first thing in the morning.

- note that most people take 5htp at night and say it helps them sleep. I tried this, did not work! Woke up every hour, couldn't get deep sleep, woke up feeling groggy and tired. So I now always take my 5htp first thing in the morning.

- had severe, on and off, pain in my hands for roughly a decade (from age 14 till 24). Was prescribed pain meds but took them sporadically. Was eventually given Effexor which helped initially but stopped working after 6months or so. Eventually discovered the 5htp for OCD and it ended up helping with the hand pain as well!

- I am often still very low mood, negative, depressed, demotivated. So I tried 1 pill of 500mg l-tyrosine, first thing in the morning (as everyone recommends), to boost dopamine. It greatly disrupted my sleep. Slept 5-6 hrs, woke up feeling great but after a few days of taking l-tyrosine 500mg and sleeping 5-6 hrs, my mind and body felt very sluggish and worn down. Had to stop and reset.

I need help trying to get my mood/motivation up, ideally without the use of anti-depressants. I see my doctor soon and she wants to prescribe me Wellbutrin. 

My hormonal profile is normal (regular blood tests to check markers).

What can I do with the l-tyrosine to boost my mood but avoid the sleep disruptions?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stack, dopamine, serotonin, 5htp, tyrosine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users