• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Tub with supplements left sitting in the shed for 6 months -- still good or not?

supplements weather

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tolerant

• 470 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 07:17 AM

So I have a tub full of supplements which has been sitting in a shed for probably the last six months, so it's been there throughout the Southern Hemisphere winter. It has boxes stacked on top of it. About three months ago or so I tried to lift the lid of the tub -- maybe I was looking for something or just wanting to see what's in there -- and part of the "brim" of the lid snapped off, so since then, there's been a small "hole" in the lid, exposing the tub to air. It is still sitting in the shed. I was wondering whether these supplements were still good. I'm thinking since each has a desiccant inside, there should be no problem. Any thoughts?

#2 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 02:35 PM

It depends on the individual supplement. Most come with obligatory use before 2 years date. However, some agents like for example aspirin have been found minimally degraded after even 10 years. Something like 97% effective compared to new, if I remember right.

Then also it depends on form. For example in Ayurveda there is the rule of dumb, that powdered herbs retain most of their effects for half a year only (which doesn't means there completely useless afterwards, just not as in their prime), capsuled powders 1-2 years, and pressed pills even longer.

So if there are no visible or olfactory signs of real degradation, which is very unlikely in 6 months and the usual expiry-length of 2 years and desiccants, I really see no reason to worry. Maybe just 10% less effective than fresh, at the most. But then supplements come at certain strength anyway, and the same dose for a heavy weight person compared to light weight person might just by that even be 50% less effective.

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: supplements, weather

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users