Problems taking sublingual NMN

nmn

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 ryukenden

• 232 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 October 2018 - 08:54 AM

I have started taking sublingual NMN. They provide small plastic spoon and after I put some NMN under my tongue, more and more saliva coming out due to sour taste and finally Inhad to swallow all of it after 1-2 minutes. Do you have similar issues?

#2 Rays

• 72 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 09:51 AM

I use the scoop to measure the amount and then put the powder on a normal teaspoon. I let the powder slide of the teaspoon under my tongue while tilting my head backwards and holding my tongue up, trying not to get any powder anywhere else but under the tongue. Then you won't taste the sour taste.

#3 Oakman

Posted 27 October 2018 - 04:10 PM

Yes, that was my initial reaction, lots of saliva. From what I understand about sublingual absorption, once there is sufficient diffusion into the sublingual membrane, absorption stops. IOW only so much can be absorbed that way. Then you might just as well swallow anyway. I'd say your 1-2 minutes is plenty. Still, keep in mind I'm not an expert, just another user.

#4 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 October 2018 - 04:25 PM

Thats strange - there must be a HUGE variation in absorption between people.  

I put around 250 mg under my tongue and it is totally gone in 15 seconds or less.

#5 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 October 2018 - 05:16 PM

I think the taste buds have a big effect on saliva stimulation.

I don't find their powder to be "sour".  To me, it tastes more like "tart".  

I'm guessing that how you perceive the taste impacts the saliva stimulation.

As for the need for saliva - I believe it is actually counterproductive for absorbing the powder.  As I say, it absorbs instantly for me. I think I saw that ABN actually suggests adding some sweetener to the powder if you prefer.  You might try that.

I believe saliva is needed to help dissolve a tablet, but not needed for the powder.

Edited by able, 27 October 2018 - 05:18 PM.

#6 ryukenden

• Topic Starter
  • 232 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 October 2018 - 06:18 PM

Thank you all for responding. I appreciate it.

#7 Joe Garma

• 19 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:07 PM

Haven't used bulk NMN, but rather a sublingual product made by Prohealth.

Been on it for a month. Gradually worked my way up from 125 mg once a day to thrice a day now. Hard to pinpoint its effect, if any, given all the other stuff I take. To me it's a bit sweet (and sour). You can isolate it under the tongue where the taste is minimized but I find that I don't keep it there, as my tongue swirls it around, apparently w/o my consent. ;-)

Had been on Elysium Health's Basis for nearly two years.  Basis uses NR rather than NMN, both being precursors of NAD+ which are supposed to boost it. Again, can't say that it's made a difference, but the science on both NMN and NR is compelling.

#8 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 January 2024 - 06:50 AM

the trimengial netve controls the absoroption under the tongue and the most dosage ive seen on a supplement for absorption there was 600mg so i assume it has the abilty to absorb that much unless they lie. i wonder how quick it is and if most of the effect comes from people swallowing it rather than mouth. is the liquid supposed to dissapear in sublingual moutth absorptin? anyway i guess anything that boosts nerve function will help thr process.
but human never took suplements before so why do we need now.

Edited by kurdishfella, 01 January 2024 - 06:52 AM.

• Needs references x 1
  • unsure x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#9 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 01 January 2024 - 04:28 PM

DoNotAge still sells NMN.

#10 CynthesisToday

• Registrant
  • 28 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 January 2024 - 05:45 PM

the trimengial netve controls the absoroption under the tongue and the most dosage ive seen on a supplement for absorption there was 600mg so i assume it has the abilty to absorb that much unless they lie. i wonder how quick it is and if most of the effect comes from people swallowing it rather than mouth. is the liquid supposed to dissapear in sublingual moutth absorptin? anyway i guess anything that boosts nerve function will help thr process.
but human never took suplements before so why do we need now.

I tried to find research supporting the statement "...trimengial nerve controls the absorption..." but, it's trigeminal nerve and it doesn't "control" absorption. It is a conduit for afferent and efferent signals between the "face" and the brain. Tactile, proprioceptive, touch-sensation, and pain-temperature

https://en.wikipedia...rigeminal_nerve

I followed up because I'm trying to use sublingual/buccal means to absorb some nutrients/supps/meds because they cause gut problems for me. It's been difficult to find pharmacokinetics for mouth mucus membrane absorption to plasma levels. I found some discussion of how the dose for tacrolimus (transplant med) is half the oral dose with sublingual. Very few things have pharmacokinetic results for mucus membranes.

Mostly older research on mucus membrane avenues for absorption:

https://www.research...oral-mucosa.pdf (2011) "Technological, biopharmaceutical and pharmacokinetic advances: New formulations of application on the skin and oral mucosa"  Section on variables of mucus that probably affects form absorbed (e.g. enzymes in the buccal environment can modify compound, and others.)

https://www.research...als.pdf#page=74 (2013) "Mucus as a Barrier for Biopharmaceuticals and Drug Delivery Systems" This is chapter 3 out of a whole conference of research on Mucosal delivery of biopharmaceuticals. It has a graph of molecule size vs ability to penetrate mucus membranes.

https://www.thepharm...ue1/PartA/3.pdf  "A review on oral mucosal drug delivery system" (2011)

• Informative x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#11 Gal220

• 1,036 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 04:37 AM

Renue by Science uses liposomes for their sublingual delivery, not bitter at all, sweet orange.  They also have a spray that has no taste

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nmn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users