• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Do gut bacteria make a second home in our brains?

bacteria brain

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2018 - 12:33 PM

it's either Nobel price discovery or simply a contamination:

https://www.sciencem...home-our-brains

A poster presented here this week at the annual meeting of the Society for Neuroscience drew attention with high-resolution microscope images of bacteria apparently penetrating and inhabiting the cells of healthy human brains.

• like x 2

#2 MankindRising

• 178 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:42 PM

I got this weird theory that us humans are simply a nest to bacteria, after all bacteria were here on earth way way before us. We carry them around (or to be more precise they control us like robots) to their prefered food sources depending on our genetic make up/gut bacteria. It is well known most of them crave carbs and tryptophan and wouldnt it happen to be also that serotoninergic compounds nearly all have some form of psychoactive property. Gut homeostasis is a complex thing and I doubt humans will ever solve it before we destroy earth itself... Anyhow what I find striking is the split in trypotphan pathway, 1 shifts towards serotonin production and the other pathway towards indoles which are aryl hydrocarbon ligands that modulate the immune system and have effects on oxytocin and vasopressin.

For example google this(there are more studies btw, cant link them as im trial member still atm): Emotion recognition associated with polymorphism in oxytocinergic pathway gene ARNT2

Also consider some studies have proven that alteration in gut microbiome can change everything from fear acquisition/fear acquisition to conditioned place preference (hello bacteria, do you like your tryptophan at a certain place or a certain person that you link to a food source).

Edited by MankindRising, 16 November 2018 - 10:14 PM.

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 11:56 PM

the real question is are they pathogenic bacteria or symbiotic ones?  of course bacteria live in our brain, and viruses too.

if you use a washcloth for a few weeks with warm water, it becomes a nest for bacteria and begins to smell foul.

But what are we to think of ourselves?  We're the perfect temperature for breeding; we're practically decades long petri dish experiments.

The bacteria, owing to their size and un-evolved ways, have a much harder time infiltrating the brain than viruses who attach our DNA, and an equally harder time staying put once they establish base.  Think of meningitis or lyme disease, do you really think in every case the bacteria made it in through the nose or eyes or some head trauma?  The blood-brain-barrier lets in drugs why not bacteria.  They have ways of sneaking in too, perhaps they were laying there since inception, dormant, waiting for the brain's defenses to slip up, for a chink in our armor.  Perhaps we recover our immunity and the brain puts them back in check, perhaps in the case of lyme disease we are simple outdone in evolution. In either case the brain has not evolved clear defenses against symbiotic ones since symbiotic bacteria have no tendency to harm us and no tendency to multiply or divide out of control like other unwelcome guests :sleep:

As for the viruses, i believe everyone has some herpes on their frontal lobes.  Maybe they don't if they haven't kissed a girl, but even so they got it as a child by sharing a glass of cranberry juice with their mom.  I would think the brain has evolved its own proprietary not-quite-strictly-immune defense to such threats, which in old age, often compromises itself and is implicated strongly in end-of-life dementia.

Scientists will look back in a hundred years through a time capsule at this and wonder how we could know all this in 2018.  Some will think we're genius, but we're not, we're only very, very smart. Perhaps as smart as you can be without being a full-blown genius.  Perhaps no where near.  Perhaps it is only opinion and not knowledge, but what then is a well-informed opinion except nothing at all.  We draw the inferences we like because all good ideas arrive by chance  :happy:

• Ill informed x 2
  • Well Written x 1
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:52 AM

I have a very similar hypothesis, MankindRising, I call it The Micro-Symbiotic Arch Hypothesis. I basically sustain that everything alive has been created by bacteria to survive, reproduce and conquer the environment.
  • Cheerful x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bacteria, brain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users