• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Sorry if this sounds like a repeated question. But what is the difference between NR and niacin?

niacin

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RichardAlan

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:07 PM

and .. are there people out there who take Niacin and NMN or Niacin and NR?  As I get more and more into this I seem to be getting more and more confused.  

So given a choice of:

Niacin

NMN Sublingual

NR 

NAD+ Sublingual

and having an infinite amount of money (I wish) :-) 

What would you suggest to take, how often and what dosage?

Hoping for some good replies as it seems many people are interested in this right now.

#2 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:21 PM

You must be a fisherman.

You sure like opening a can of worms  :|o

• Cheerful x 3

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:20 PM

There are whole threads and countless articles online answering these questions. Hate to say it but, Google is your friend, and there's a search bar on the upper right. There's a lot of reading you'll have to do and it will take a long time to absorb. If you want a straight answer right now, there isn't one. There's a mouse study (mouse not human) starting soon for NMN that will run for 2 years. We'll know more about mice after that, but probably not so much about how these precursors help humans.  Dumb as hell I know, but I helped fund the study so.

If you want a simple, one sentence recommendation from a random person on this board like me, I would say do this: Buy Tru Niagen NR for 32 bucks on their website, take it on the days you exercise, 4 to 6 hours prior to exercise, preferably 4 times a week, then tell me what happens. 

Additional sentences: If you have a sauna at the gym, use that as well. If you have a Polar heart rate monitor strap, put that on and ensure your HR hits 150+ when exercising. Also, download the Elite HRV app and run a morning readiness with the Polar HRM each day starting before you begin taking NR to establish a baseline HRV for a few days. Then start taking the NR on exercise days and tell me what happens to your HRV over that time period. Even better would be to not exercise while establishing a baseline, start exercising while establishing a baseline, then start the NR and see if there's any difference.

Edited by Nate-2004, 05 December 2018 - 09:22 PM.

• Informative x 2
  • unsure x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#4 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:41 PM

NR’s ability to increase NAD+ has been demonstrated in humans. There has been no clinical trials of NMN or NAD+.
  • Informative x 2
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#5 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:55 PM

NR’s ability to increase NAD+ has been demonstrated in humans. There has been no clinical trials of NMN or NAD+.

There has been no clinical trials of NMN PUBLISHED.

As you very well know, there have been a few human studies completed, but none yet published.

Dr Sinclair is starting Phase 2 clinical studies and doesn't seem to need to publish the Phase 1 results to raise money for the Phase 2 trial.  

I seriously doubt he could do that if the Phase 1 results were not impressive.

#6 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:28 PM

Anyone try mega dosing Niagen? Like 2g+

#7 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:24 PM

Anyone try mega dosing Niagen? Like 2g+

There were several on the boards here that tried 1-2 gram dosages a few years back.  None reported any benefit and all dropped back down to lower dosages.

The research  shows that dosages above 1 gram don't result in higher NAD+ levels in the blood, so it might not be any additional benefit (except to Chromadex ;)    )

#8 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:32 PM

There has been no clinical trials of NMN PUBLISHED.

As you very well know, there have been a few human studies completed, but none yet published.

Dr Sinclair is starting Phase 2 clinical studies and doesn't seem to need to publish the Phase 1 results to raise money for the Phase 2 trial.

I seriously doubt he could do that if the Phase 1 results were not impressive.

Sinclair is bluffing. There is no NMN trial from him on clinicaltrials.gov. The Trial in Japan has also been completed for a while. I am still waiting for publication.

There were several on the boards here that tried 1-2 gram dosages a few years back. None reported any benefit and all dropped back down to lower dosages.

The research shows that dosages above 1 gram don't result in higher NAD+ levels in the blood, so it might not be any additional benefit (except to Chromadex ;) )

I am taking 250mg in the morning and afternoon.

#9 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:13 PM

Sinclair is bluffing. There is no NMN trial from him on clinicaltrials.gov. The Trial in Japan has also been completed for a while. I am still waiting for publication.

I am taking 250mg in the morning and afternoon.

You say he is lying about completing the Phase 1 human study, or that he is lying about starting the Phase 2 human study?

You do know it is not required to post studies on clinicaltrials.gov, right?    Some researchers don't bother - I don't know why.

• Agree x 1

#10 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:21 PM

He may have done some informal study and the results were not what he wanted so he didn’t publish it.
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 Oakman

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:23 PM

Back to the OP's question...

I had similar idea about taking a combo of NAD+ Precursors, so I did. It didn't go well.

I tried NR (333 mgs), NAM (200 mgs), NA (200 mgs) and Tryptophan (400 mgs) together, plus powder (sublingual) NMN. Within a day or so, I got hives. Tried it twice, same result.

Nowadays, I use NR (250 mgs) daily with a small amt of NA (50mgs), and add in sublingual NMN when exercising, all without problems. 

• Informative x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: niacin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users