alzheimer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:48 PM

Good read:

https://www.biospace...s-and-new-hope/

The brain is very energy-dependent. When the mitochondria age and stop using fuel like ATP, they are believed to become vulnerable. Microglial cells are specialized immune cells found in the central nervous system. They remove damaged and debris, like amyloid, to maintain the health of the central nervous system. But they also fight infections and react to neuronal cell death by triggering neuroinflammation. This leads to massive neuronal cell death, essentially via “friendly fire.” Tanzi notes, “A microglial cell is more likely to be neuroinflammatory if it is lacking in energy and, thus, less resilient.”

He cites a study published in the journal Cell that described increasing ATP levels in a microglial cell that carried a mutant version of one of the Alzheimer’s genes known as TREM2. “If you increase ATP levels, it continues doing a better job of clearing beta-amyloid. And it’s less likely to become neuroinflammatory. So when we talk about resilience of cells, it’s often about how much energy the cell has. As we get older, we have less cellular energy which has a lot to do with ATP and mitochondria. NAD levels drop as we get older, so if you supplement it, levels go back up, which starts to restore cellular energy, which has implications for Alzheimer’s disease and neurocellular resilience.” Likewise, a neuron with more energy is less likely to form a tangle in the presence of neuroinflammation, adds Tanzi.

• Informative x 2
  • like x 2

#2 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:41 PM

Good also to add that Rudy Tanzi talking in the above paragraph is both a shareholder and a paid member of ChromaDex’s Scientific Advisory Board.

Full disclosure: I also own a small number of shares in Chromadex.

ChromaDex Appoints Harvard Medical School Professor of Neurology, Dr. Rudolph Tanzi, to the Scientific Advisory Board

Global Alzheimer’s Thought Leader to Assist in Exploring Potential for Nicotinamide Riboside in Brain and Neuronal Health

Edited by Fredrik, 11 January 2019 - 04:05 PM.

• Informative x 1

#3 stefan_001

• Topic Starter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:01 PM

@fredrik sure you do
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 2

#4 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:23 PM

@stefan_001

Yes, I do. Originally 300 shares bought through Avanza, now down to 134. Do you own shares in Chromadex yourself? 

Attached File  Screenshot 2019-01-11 at 18.31.35.png   102.69KB   0 downloads

#5 stefan_001

• Topic Starter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:51 PM

So then more accurately, as you like accurate statement, you are a small shareholder reducing your stake because you have no longer believe in NR. Anyways we are on opposite sides with our assements. I expanded my shareholding in the recent dip below 3USD. Why do I do that? I see continuing supportive research and see the effects on myself and my parents. But this nonsense distracts from the article so I am going to close it here.

#6 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:09 PM

No. I reduced my shares because I wanted to buy stuff. It is possible to remain critical of the science and owning shares at the same time you know? Try it for yourself.

I do not think it is nonsense to add that Rudy Tanzi talking in your article glowingly about NR and Alzheimer's disease is both a shareholder and a paid member of ChromaDex’s Scientific Advisory Board.

Edited by Fredrik, 11 January 2019 - 06:15 PM.

• Agree x 1

#7 stefan_001

• Topic Starter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:32 PM

@fredrik you mention what you want. The article clearly states his affiliation. There is no hiding, no spooky stuff. You could have also mentioned the man's expertise and achievements from before his affiliation. You are free to have a negative bias and doubt the sincerity of researchers but it is non of your business to throw your denigrating "rosy sunglasses" and similar at me as you did in the other thread. Perhaps to still add I am very happy with my ability to judge, that has served me well in life and allows me to count my shareholdings in increments of 0.1% of total.

Edited by stefan_001, 11 January 2019 - 07:17 PM.

• Unfriendly x 2

#8 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:32 PM

@stefan

I called your views optimistic. I have not denigrated or blackened your character. Relax.

• Well Written x 2
  • unsure x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Cheerful x 1
  • Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alzheimer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users