- - - - -

Alcoholism-nootropic help?

alcohol

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 experimenting

• 639 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:33 PM

What supplements or nootropics might help an alcoholic?

#2 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:45 PM

Nootropics.. unfortunately non.. although there are medicine that dull the effects when you drink alcohol like Topiramate (it helps I tried) and Naltrexone (never tried it).

TBH I've been alcoholic for just 1.5 years and I don't regret it. I've managed to relieve such distress that I wouldn't be able through exercise, medicine, therapy and/or whatever.

When the hangover from alcohol says I'm going to make your life depressed, isolated, lonely and miserable it's time to let go of alcohol and the past or whatever that haunts you emotionally.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:02 AM

Nootropics.. unfortunately non.. although there are medicine that dull the effects when you drink alcohol like Topiramate (it helps I tried) and Naltrexone (never tried it).

TBH I've been alcoholic for just 1.5 years and I don't regret it. I've managed to relieve such distress that I wouldn't be able through exercise, medicine, therapy and/or whatever.

When the hangover from alcohol says I'm going to make your life depressed, isolated, lonely and miserable it's time to let go of alcohol and the past or whatever that haunts you emotionally.

OK so you're saying 1) there are no nootropics to help and 2) alcohol helped you?

Anyone else with something that makes more sense?
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

#4 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:31 PM

1. Yes
2. Yes, it helped me for a long while until I started to hit rock bottom everytime I drunk.
3. Quiting helps alcoholism, try that.

#5 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:53 PM

Umm...OK

I presupposed quitting alcoholism, if that wasn't clear. The point was to find nootropics that help with withdrawal and perhaps 'fill the void' that alcohol did. I know the latter is a much more expansive question.

Anyone else?

#6 DeltaWave

• 17 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:58 PM

Topiramate has terrible cognitive (or shall I say anticognitive) side effects, much worse than benzos like Klonopin.

#7 MidwestGreg

• 37 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:16 PM

Bill Wilson, co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous, had success with Niacin (three grams total daily in three equal doses).   It appears to have helped him with depression and fatigue. Wilson published some booklets on the subject which can be found on the Internet as a pdf.

One of his friends was Abram Hoffer, M.D., who was big into Niacin therapy. I have no personal experience with this and would be cautious about working up to such a large dose due to the flushing effect. Hoffer lived to 91 and has some interesting publications.

• Agree x 1

#8 Galaxyshock

• 1,460 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:49 AM

Suppression of Alcohol Dependence Using Baclofen: A 2-Year Observational Study of 100 Patients

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3540966/

#9 Dichotohmy

• 201 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:57 PM

I too have had significant success with niacin - Now-branded sustained-release niacin to be exact. I have also tried various nictonamide and instant-release niacin formulations, but the NOW SR has worked the best. It works good enough to cut my daily alcohol consumption down 66% or more.

The reasons niacin seems to work for me are that niacin both significantly reduces cravings and also makes me feel more satisfied after drinking less alcohol. It might be noteworthy to say that I'm one of those drinkers who is chronically bored, and so I typically start drinking in the afternoon as a means to lessen the crushing boredom. Niacin seems to turn down the boredom by several notches, so to speak, and that is what I mean by niacin "reduces cravings" and it makes me "feel more satisfied after drinking less." If you're one of those drinkers who drinks to self-medicate anxiety or become numb, I suspect you won't react the same way to niacin. I suspect my problem could be something similar to the concept of "overmethylation," even though I think the over/under-methylation theory is flimsy at best, because anything purported to boost methylation processes makes the problem worse for me.

Baclofen, gabapentinoids, or supplemental GABA just don't work the same way or nearly as well for me as niacin, so they are hardly a replacement. I now wish I bought some picamilon to try before it was banned in the US, because on paper, picamilon seems even better than niacin for a lot of reasons.

Edited by Dichotohmy, 16 January 2019 - 06:01 PM.

#10 BrankLucas

• 27 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:42 PM

"Baclofen has a much higher success rate in obtaining abstinence or low risk drinking than the currently offered treatments, Acamprosate and Naltrexone."

https://baclofentrea...ion-treatments/

You guys probably want to recommend this before you start recommending vitamins from some guy who made a failure of a treatment program, not saying it won't help or that you shouldn't take it but there are much better options to try as a main thing, that you can take B3 with as well. Also if you're an addict there are probably underlying mental health issues that you'd need to treat as well, but at least curing the physical addiction aspect is a good start.

• Good Point x 1

#11 MidwestGreg

• 37 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:14 PM

OP, how are you doing?

#12 DaveX

• 84 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 05:51 PM

Actually, helping against alcoholism, or various withdrawal symptoms, is a standardly officially accepted use of supplements.

Theanine and Glycine are said to be good. I know that Glycine for example actively helps alcohol degradation, I think already in the stomach (perhaps not the order you'd prefer, but it also helps in the body and liver). Theanine is also good for the liver and competitive binding of receptors, I think. Lithium I think is said to help alcohol withdrawal, and when I took it I also noticed decreased craving.

Kudzu is mostly recommended for smoking addiction, but I think it might also have a few studies about helping with alcohol withdrawal.

Taking all the B-Vitamins and minerals like Magnesium and Calcium is also standardly recommended after alcohol consumption.

Edited by DaveX, 16 September 2019 - 05:53 PM.

#13 Nootropic Milk Hotel

• 91 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 September 2019 - 06:28 PM

The two supplements I would strongly recommend are milk thistle and N-acetylcysteine. Milk thistle is great for the liver, and is wise to take in the morning after a night of drinking. When taken (say, 30 minutes) before drinking, NAC has been shown to greatly reduce oxidative damage done to the liver but also to the brain and other organs.

Though less directly relevant, I know some ex-drinkers who have raved about ashwagandha. Via the GABA system, Ashwa is a very mild sedative, so it could be helpful in withdrawal, and it has been found to reduce cravings. In a similar vein, bacopa monnieri may be helpful.

Good luck mate, alcoholism's a bitch.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 sedentary

• 155 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:34 PM

niacin helps people with alcoholism? how come nobody talks about it then? it would have solved this crisis. the people who say this, why not go to AA meetings and help them??

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alcohol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users