• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone here taking melatonin and if so what dose?

melatonin

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 RichardAlan

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:37 AM

I was taking 5mg until it was pointed out to me that it was a super high dose.  I wonder why the health store sells such a high dose but anyway I know cut those tablets into 4 and so take 1.25mg a day. 

What about people here.  If you're a person that takes it then what dosage are you taking?

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • like x 1

#2 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:46 AM

I have been taking 0.1 mg for more years than I can count now.  I started taking it because I had trouble falling asleep again after waking up during the night. The doseage was high enough to have effect and I keep taking it because melatonin is associated with longevity. I have no scientific rationale for the dosage.

Recently my 91 yo  mother went to a prolonged period of sleeplessness. It really started to wear her down mentally as well as physically. So I started her on 3mg per night and after 10 days or so her sleep rhythm came back and her ability to walk and think have clearly recuperated.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 prunk

• 227 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:02 PM

I've been taking melatonin about 8 years. Best dosage for me is 1mg-1,5mg. If I take more, sleeping is literally impossible - feeling super tired but cannot fall asleep.

#4 Knowbody

• 13 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:03 PM

In one of his online videos, endocrinologist Thierry Hertoghe recommends taking only 0.1 mg to even 0.05 mg of melatonin. He claims a higher dosage will mess with other hormones and increases the likelihood of a burnout.

Edited by Knowbody, 19 January 2019 - 04:04 PM.

#5 Oakman

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:00 PM

Have been taking 1mg sublingual for a long time, years. Seems to aid going to sleep quickly, much better than oral pills.

#6 prunk

• 227 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:46 PM

Not sure do I trust T.Hertoghe. There's some opinions that his methods are quackery.

#7 Kimer Med

• 254 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:53 AM

I've been taking 3mg of Melatonin for roughly a year, and maybe once a month or less for around 10 years before that. I prefer the liposomal form, which also makes dose easier to modulate.

At first, it provided a gentle hypnotic effect, but that wore off long ago. It does still help my sleep quality, though.

5mg isn't a particularly high dose. One of my (adult) kids takes 20mg a day, and has for years.

Although a healthy body only needs on the order of 0.5mg/day, larger amounts aren't dangerous AFAIK. If you take too much, the main side-effect I'm aware of is feeling groggy in the morning.

• like x 1

#8 Benko

• 221 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:20 PM

There are periods in which I take 1 mg to help with sleep, though I need it for that purpose less since I've taken several courses of epitalon (which increases the body's natural production).

#9 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:43 PM

300mcg Jarrows Quik-Solv melts.

#10 GABAergic

• 349 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:54 AM

what was said, too much melatonin DEFINITELY messes with your other neurosteroids. this isnt based on a study but logic. not so much personal experience which has been in fact the case for me but basic logic that encouraging one hormone or neurosteroid over another will long term slow down or disable the others. you should look into vitamins and minerals too for this as one will disable another by overexposure and displacement factor. google it if you dont believe me, its a fact. and based on genes, you might not even be getting one over the other but even disabling what you actually need even further by suppressors, supposedly big doses of certain vitamins, minerals, neurosteroids. im starting to think multivitamins are crap actually.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • Needs references x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#11 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:05 AM

I've taken 10 mg nightly for 6-7 years now. This is on the high side, but I am at high (very high) risk of cancer and melatonin has important anticancer properties. The average person would probably do fine with 3 mg or less. I can't say as I have become aware of any side effects.

BTW, once a month or so I don't take it, and on those nights I don't sleep as well, but I probably sleep about as well as I used to before starting. In other words I don't think it has affected my natural production. This is something some people assert will happen but I have never seen hard evidence for it.

• Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

#12 mollysapron

• 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:13 AM

I found the 1mg tablets in store yesterday, finally bought them. I previously had 10mg gummy bears from Chicago and then when I visited Warsaw, Poland my GF got me the popular melatonin 5mg tablets. I've been taking those for the past few weeks to help with sleep, thanks to HUGE periods of insomnia from medicine withdrawals. It helped.

I know 5mg is also too much. Supposedly the body only needs .3mg, but those tests were done with the elderly and blind, which they experience less melatonin anyways. 1mg should be good at night. I take it half an hour before sleep.

#13 Knowbody

• 13 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 02:25 PM

After going from 0.3 mg to 0.1 mg based on dr. Hertoghe's recommendations I found I slept poorly. Now at 0.2 mg I'm sleeping much better again but not optimal (might not be related to melatonin dose). Tonight I'll try 0.3 mg again.

• Informative x 1

#14 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:31 PM

About 300mcg (micrograms) is a physiological dose that would approximate the melatonin levels you might have had in your early 20s.

A lot of people are taking a very high of a dose of this stuff that just doesn't correspond to any natural level of this hormone at any stage of life.  I can't swear that's a bad thing but it really is off the datasheet when it comes to human physiology.

#15 Kimer Med

• 254 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:54 PM

About 300mcg (micrograms) is a physiological dose that would approximate the melatonin levels you might have had in your early 20s.

A lot of people are taking a very high of a dose of this stuff that just doesn't correspond to any natural level of this hormone at any stage of life.  I can't swear that's a bad thing but it really is off the datasheet when it comes to human physiology.

All true.

If your reason for taking it is just to re-establish biological norms as you age, that's one thing.

However, some people have sleep problems that present much larger risks than higher-than-normal levels of a hormone like Melatonin. There are *many* situations in medicine where higher-than-physiologic doses of substances are safely administered for long periods.

It's also a quality-of-life issue. Poor sleep leads a poor quality of life; no doubt about it. You also have to consider the alternatives. Z-drugs? Awful! Benzos? Awful! Sleep hygiene is important, of course -- but in many people (like me!), it's not enough. Then what?

• Agree x 3
  • Good Point x 1

#16 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:42 PM

I agree about the downsides of poor sleep. The negative effect of that are likely worse than the negative effects of large doses of melatonin. The thing you've got to determine is if supra-physiological levels of melatonin will really help with sleep versus  physiological "youthful levels".

I just don't know the answer to that.  The only thing I can give you is my own anecdote that 10mg seemed to be less effective than 1mg which was no more effective than 0.5mg.  

Different people might have different responses but we must always be mindful of that inverted U dose/response curve that most substances seem to have. At some point more isn't better and at a further point more is worse (I struggle to think of an exception to this).

Since I don't think melatonin is actually controlled by a closed loop control like many other hormones, I don't think there is a danger of depressing endogenous production, so there is at least that. 

#17 Kimer Med

• 254 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:04 PM

As with most hormones and drugs, getting the dosing right can be a bit tricky. And it's not just a one-time thing. I regularly fiddle around with my dose (one reason I like the liquid / liposomal version). Too much one night and I'm groggy the next day. Not enough, and I can't fall asleep.

Regarding whether correctly titrated supra-physiologic doses really help with sleep, I would say "it depends." In some people (me!), it definitely does. I regularly measure my sleep quantity and quality, and can see the results. And with my kids. Holy cow! Without Melatonin, they both had extreme insomnia problems.

Are some people taking more than they really need? Certainly. However, you could say the same about sugar, carbs, and even food in general. We all do the best we can with the experience, knowledge and tools we have available.

#18 GABAergic

• 349 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:52 AM

thats what i was talking about too but everyone downvoted me. i dont get it

• Ill informed x 1

#19 ambivalent

• 744 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:39 PM

After supplementing zinc a couple of months ago I awoke to the best night's sleep since I could remember. So I looked to see if there was a probable relationship and discovered this impressive study finidng huge imrpovements in chronically sleep depreived subjects with zinc+mag+melatonin - I've not tried this yet, melationin isn't readily accessible in the uk.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5713303/

'Patients ingested daily a combination of melatonin (5 mg), magnesium (225 mg) and zinc (11.25 mg) mixed in 100 g of pear pulp for 60 days, one hour before bedtime. Patients that received this mineral supplement exhibited a remarkable improvement of sleep quality '

Edited by ambivalent, 23 February 2019 - 01:55 PM.

• Informative x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#20 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 February 2019 - 06:11 AM

After supplementing zinc a couple of months ago I awoke to the best night's sleep since I could remember. So I looked to see if there was a probable relationship and discovered this impressive study finidng huge imrpovements in chronically sleep depreived subjects with zinc+mag+melatonin - I've not tried this yet, melationin isn't readily accessible in the uk.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5713303/

'Patients ingested daily a combination of melatonin (5 mg), magnesium (225 mg) and zinc (11.25 mg) mixed in 100 g of pear pulp for 60 days, one hour before bedtime. Patients that received this mineral supplement exhibited a remarkable improvement of
sleep
quality '

Zinc is great. At night with my magtein and melatonin I take 15mg Zinc Picolinate (Thorne) and 15mg whole food raw zinc(Garden of Life) along with 100mg SunTheanine(Doctors Best), 250mg BlueBonnet Valerian Root and sometimes 600mg Cyracos Lemon balm (Nootropics Depot) with 400mg Chinese Skullcap (Scutellaria baicalensis) (root) (4:1 concentrate) {Swanson).

I also like to add 100mg astragaloside IV 30% organic from BadMonkey to boost my immune system while sleeping.

Edited by John250, 24 February 2019 - 06:12 AM.

• Enjoying the show x 1

#21 CedarWind

• 19 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 02:24 AM

I've tried everything from the tiniest doses to mega-doses and after years of experimenting I find that 0.4mg (taken as liquid drops) works best for me.

#22 ambivalent

• 744 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 February 2019 - 06:07 PM

pls delete.

Edited by ambivalent, 27 February 2019 - 06:43 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#23 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 February 2019 - 07:47 PM

I use sublingual pills. I've seen a study that says that sublingual bioavailability is about 2X that of swallowed pills, IIRC. Liquid drops might be somewhere in the middle.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: melatonin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users