Resveratrol brand and formulation differences

resveratrol blood sugar piperine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AceNZ

• 225 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:24 PM

Although the probable anti-aging aspects of Resveratrol are great, my main motivation for taking it is actually for blood sugar (BG) management (I'm pre-diabetic / Syndrome X). I've been using it for about 10 years now.

I take 500 mg Biotivia Transmax, Trans-Resveratrol, once/day with food. This formulation also includes Polydatin extract (5 mg) (a Resveratrol precursor) and Piperine (5 mg).

Over the years, I've tried a few different brands, and have also taken periodic breaks.

One aspect of using it for BG management is that effectiveness is easy to measure with a blood glucose meter. 

There can be a significant difference from one brand to another. For example, I've tried Bluebonnet and a Now Foods mix with Pterostilbene for a few months each, and both had almost no effect on my BG. Returning to Biotivia immediately re-established lower and more stable BG measurements.

If effectiveness varies on the BG side, it will certainly vary for anti-aging effects, as well.

I'm not sure if the differences are due to the purity of the trans-Resveratrol itself, or if it's related to the additives. Piperine, in particular, has been reported to significantly aid absorption.

I would be interested in hearing from others who may have tracked their Resveratrol supplementation in similar ways, and whether there are other brands / formulations / suppliers I should consider. Biotivia has been great for me, but it's also expensive.

I also wonder if some of the adverse effects reported by R users may be due to ignoring or not understanding the BG effects. If your BG is already on the low side, it's possible that taking R could make you feel pretty lousy, especially with a high dose. Taking it before bed could be particularly annoying, since low BG can cause an adrenaline spike, which can then wake you up (this even happens with a glass of red wine, which contains R).

• Informative x 2
  • like x 1

#2 Oakman

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:34 PM

I've been following Dr Sinclair's R recommendations recently. But I got tired of spending too much money expensive pill versions of R, like your Transmax. Finally found a good, 100% pure, no filler, 100% trans-R powder product from a small supplier, CurEase, and their 60 gram powder packet for as low as $30 in qty, $37 single packet, vs (and I'm not just picking on your Transmax - just an example) which is $40 for 30 grams on Amazon. I also have reservations about taking piperine, as it affects overall supplement absorption and breakdown in the liver. Not so important if you take one supp, but if you take others, do you want them ALL to be affected? Likely not.

Glad your BG is under control and R helps. If you really like your R with extras, perhaps consider making your own from its components. Should save considerable $

Edited by Oakman, 21 January 2019 - 04:36 PM.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 AceNZ

• Topic Starter
  • 225 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:15 PM

Good point about piperine.

I'm not 100% sold on the "extras." All I know is that several brands without the extras don't work very well. However, that could be from low purity or various other things, and may not have anything to do with the extras. I guess that's one of the things I'm trying to figure out.

I suppose one way to do it would be to use tested, known-high quality R powder, and compare results against what's available from capsule suppliers.

Shipping to New Zealand for CurEase (direct or through Amazon) is on the high side ($25), but I'll keep them in mind. Are there other reputable suppliers I should consider?

#4 The Beauty of Peace

• 169 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:24 PM

Have you tried trans-resveratrol sold on Amazon? 

Biotivia Transmax is unaffordable  :|o

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 Chrys

• 24 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 March 2019 - 02:06 PM

Has anyone used Terraternal's R?

They say their product is of the highest purity...price also high.

https://www.terrater...l-50/557/3.aspx

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: resveratrol, blood sugar, piperine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users