• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Does taking metformin cause weight loss?

metformin

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RichardAlan

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:17 AM

I've been taking 500mg twice a day and have noticed a fairly significant weight drop.  However it could be because over the months I have also shifted to a plant based diet. 

Any reason for me to think that Metformin could also be contributing to the weight loss? 

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • like x 1

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 04:01 PM

The side effect I am aware of is a decrease in red blood cell count or hematocrit. 

It reduces blood sugar, which may or may not cause weight loss.  Some experience it, some do not.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Kimer Med

• 254 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:36 AM

Although Metformin improves fat and sugar metabolism, that, on its own, probably isn't enough for most people to lose weight.

However, if it drops your blood sugar enough to put you in ketosis, then yes, you could lose weight that way. You can check that with a blood ketone meter.

#4 bosharpe

• 239 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 February 2019 - 09:58 AM

Where can you get hold of Metformin in the UK? Does it have to be through a doctor..

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#5 Ambrosia

• 49 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 March 2019 - 11:10 AM

Yes it doe, i've been taking Metformin and have experienced weight loss, even on days i overeat (party, event, etc) my weight is maintained rather than shooting up like it used to. If you have tendency to be a diabetic in the future (pre-diabetic) your weight loss will be even more profound.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/23147210

I have a trusted contact who ships me Metformin from Thailand (trusted government brand), happy to share in private only to known members of the forum.

#6 Woody42

• 72 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 April 2019 - 02:07 AM

Studies say it is associated with a small weight loss in the first year or so

after that the weight loss effect stops.  But in some rare cases it may cause

weight gain. If you do a Google search about this you will find study after 

study saying it never causes weight gain but then you will find a study saying 

it rarely causes weight gain. Well I was that 1 in a 1000 that it made gain weight.   

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 micro2000

• 61 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 08:55 PM

As Woody42 states, the research shows a slight weight loss with metformin use. My own personal experience is that the diarrhea that initially occurs could be a partial reason for weight loss.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: metformin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users