Thoughts on my supplements regimen

regimen longevity

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tini

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:21 PM

Here’s a list of all the supplements I currently take daily in the attempt to try to slow down aging. I know lifestyle, food and supplements can do little at best, but i’m optimistic and I think a little is still better than nothing. I’m male, soon to turn 29.

• Metformin 1500mg/day (3x500mg doses)*

• Life Extension’s Optimized NAD+ Cell Regenerator with resveratrol (1 capsule/day providing 250mg nicotinamide riboside, 150mg quercetin, 100mg resveratrol)

• Carnosine 1000mg/day (2x500mg doses)*

• Fish oil capsules 3000mg/day (providing 900mg EPA and 600mg DHA + 30mg d-alpha tocopherol)

• R-lipoic acid 100mg/day*

• Folate as 5-methyltetrahydrofolate calcium salt 800mcg/day**

• Methylcobalamin 600mcg/day**

• Armolipid Plus providing Berberine 500mg/day, Monacholin from red yeast rice 3mg, astaxanthin from microalgae 0,5mg, policosanol 10mg, folic acid 200mg, coenzyme Q10 2mg***

• Vitamin C complex sustained release tablets, one per day providing 1000mg of vitamin C as l-ascorbic acid+ calcium ascorbate+ ascorbyl 6-palmitate, citrus bioflavonoids 250mg, rutin 50mg, esperidin 10mg, quercetin 25mg

• Carotenoid complex 2 capsules/day, providing in total: beta-carotene 12mg, lutein 16mg, lycopene 6mg, zeaxanthin 2mg

• Life Extension’s Gamma E mixed tocopherols & tocotrienols, 1 capsule/day providing 360mg gamma-rich mixed tocopherols and 145mg mixed tocotrienols/tocopherol complex

• Collagen protein, about 40g per day, with meals to counteract methionine excess in my protein-rich diet. (Also take 5 grams of pure glycine before bed)

• Boswellia tablets (providing 1400mg of boswellic acids/day and 600mg soy lecithin)****

• BioAstin Hawaiian Astaxanthin 12mg on alternate days****

• Creatine monohydrate 4 grams/day

• Magnesium (200mg) and potassium (300mg), different salts and dosage (ie more when I work out)

*I tend to have elevated HbA1c (5,8%), went down to 5.4 after a couple of months on metformin. I am not diabetic, my fasting insulin level is normal and fasting glucose was in the high 90s. I’m a pharmacist.

**I have an MTHFR genetic variant associated with reduced levels of folate and B12 that could lead to elevated homocysteine

***i started this supplement to reduce my elevated total and LDL cholesterol

**** i suffer from joint pain

Just curious about your thoughts, any comment, suggestion and criticism is welcome :)

Edited by tini, 21 February 2019 - 03:23 PM.

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:15 PM

This is obviously a list of many popular supplements that are likely to slow aging a bit. Looks okay to me, but I am not an expert.

What I usually tell people is eat less and exercise more. Reduce stress and get adequate sleep. These are simple and free things that are more powerful than almost any supplement available. You can use the money you save to support real rejuvenation research, which should pay big dividends in the near future.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 CedarWind

• 19 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 03:38 AM

What you take are all good things, but you're likely to get better results and less side effects with about 1/4th the dose of most of what you're taking. I'd also be couscous taking any more than 100 mg Vitamin C as it can be a strong pro-oxidant, reacting with Iron and other metals. One of the first effects of that you may notice is your hair graying early.

• Disagree x 1

#4 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 04:09 PM

Consider adding
-NMN
-pterostilbene
-krill instead of fish oil
-Lutein, just lutein
-Lions Mane

Consider dropping:
R-lipoic acid
Vit C and e
Carotenoid

Edited by Forever21, 18 March 2019 - 04:09 PM.

• Ill informed x 3
  • Disagree x 1

#5 StanG

• 71 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:36 PM

I think you have a good list. As for people who say they will only add slightly to your amount of years - NO ONE CAN BE SURE - because many people haven't been taking many different supplements for very long periods of time. I don't believe for a minute that they will make you young again but either will anything else at this point in time.  

This truly is the wild west and we all make calculated decisions. 

sponsored ad

• Advert

#6 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 05:33 PM

I'd also be couscous taking any more than 100 mg Vitamin C as it can be a strong pro-oxidant, reacting with Iron and other metals. One of the first effects of that you may notice is your hair graying early.

Funny. 10 years ago first gray hairs appeared in my beard. At that time I never had supplemented any. But because of a walking-disabilty from PAD I started Linus Pauling's recommentations, comprehensive supplementation and life-style modifications, along with 24 g of pure ascorbic acid a day in average for these 10 years. In respect to graying hair I'm still stuck where I've been 10 years ago: some gray hairs in my beard. No real worsening. But remission from the disabilty.

Edited by pamojja, 21 October 2019 - 05:35 PM.

• Good Point x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: regimen, longevity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users