FDA approves ketamine for depression

ketamine nootropic antidepressant

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 GABAergic

• 220 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:02 PM

from source; https://www.theverge...-health-science

its the intranasal version, not the IV that clinics already practice and its very expensive. so im wondering if this will cut the price and/if intranasal dosing is safer than having IV ketamine in your blood directly.

• Good Point x 1

#2 justabody

• 70 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 04:00 PM

I don't think it will cut price all that much compared to IV infusions; from what I've read health insurance companies aren't gonna be to keen on covering it and each visit to the clinic for the nasal spray (you don't actually administer the medication yourself) is like $900 a pop without coverage. I imagine insurance would lower the price somewhere in the realm of infusions, like $400 - $500. I hope I'm wrong. I don't think any additional safety has been established over infusions, you're still required to drive to a clinic and be supervised for a couple hours before you're released.

• Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 GABAergic

• Topic Starter
  • 220 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:06 PM

yeah thats a whole bunch of hassle. i thought the idea of IV is just too much and when i found out they approved just simple nasal spray, things will become easier and cheaper but you are right. and to think you still have to drive to a clinic for a nasal spray that takes few seconds? wow. so nobody seems to be trusted having this stuff at their home eh

#4 YoungSchizo

• 740 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 02:09 PM

I'm sorry for you Americans, the insurance there really sucks.

I'm so excited that this drug is also filed in the EU and waits for approval (Ketamine infusions are not, at least not in the Netherlands). Even though I suffer from schizophrenia and it's contraindicated you never know how it'll work out in practice. Maybe I'll finally find relieve from the severe depressive and negative symptom side of schizophrenia.

#5 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,710 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 March 2019 - 04:05 PM

I'm sorry for you Americans, the insurance there really sucks.

I'm so excited that this drug is also filed in the EU and waits for approval (Ketamine infusions are not, at least not in the Netherlands). Even though I suffer from schizophrenia and it's contraindicated you never know how it'll work out in practice. Maybe I'll finally find relieve from the severe depressive and negative symptom side of schizophrenia.

Dude... for god's sake... PLEASE! Immediately forget any and everything about Ketamine - it can be a useful drug, for some, but NOT for you...!

I know you're aware that Ketamine was the "schizo-model" for the experiments that helped create some of the first antipsychotics, yes?

Honestly, I think it's so dangerous for someone like you, that... no, don't even go near it. Keep far, far away.

The psychosis it might induce in someone like you, might actually be so dangerous, that it could end up with you, or someone else, DEAD.

Yeez dude... you're sending cold sweat and chills down my spine here... please, please, please - don't ever use it... Please?

#6 GABAergic

• Topic Starter
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:28 PM

repost

Edited by GABAergic, 09 March 2019 - 07:57 PM.

#7 YoungSchizo

• 740 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:31 PM

Dude... for god's sake... PLEASE! Immediately forget any and everything about Ketamine - it can be a useful drug, for some, but NOT for you...!

I know you're aware that Ketamine was the "schizo-model" for the experiments that helped create some of the first antipsychotics, yes?

Honestly, I think it's so dangerous for someone like you, that... no, don't even go near it. Keep far, far away.

The psychosis it might induce in someone like you, might actually be so dangerous, that it could end up with you, or someone else, DEAD.

Yeez dude... you're sending cold sweat and chills down my spine here... please, please, please - don't ever use it... Please?

Do you by any chance know what the dosages were that were used to create the antipsychotics?

I guess this is a different story because it's basically micro-dosing Esketamine and I'll know from the first dose if it induces psychosis or not, just like with weed. One micro-dose does not and will not cause a full blown psychosis, just maybe an episode like with weed. When it wears of the hallucinations will wear off.

The funny thing is that even it may cause an episode I might still benefit from it's antidepressant effect afterwards.

I'll be very nervous but happy to give Esketamine a shot.

#8 GABAergic

• Topic Starter
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:56 PM

youngschizo, how about you try Yuejo instead; https://www.nature.c...icles/srep13573 its probably it wont cause as severe side effects as ketamine

#9 YoungSchizo

• 740 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:45 PM

youngschizo, how about you try Yuejo instead; https://www.nature.c...icles/srep13573 its probably it wont cause as severe side effects as ketamine

Interesting, first time I ever heard about Yuejo. What does it costs and where can I get it?

#10 GABAergic

• Topic Starter
  • 220 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 03:53 AM

beats me. im just trying to find alternatives to ketamine since its so expensive and hard to get. not sure i can really find anything substantial i suppose :s

#11 cocoonman

• 17 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 March 2019 - 05:43 PM

The active constituent in Yueju is Polygala tenuifolia. It is available at Nootropics Depot. A dose of 0.1 mg/kg of Polygala extract in rats produced AD response similar to 10 mg/kg ketamine. Human equivalent dose would be 0.486 mg/day. However, there are no human studies or long-term safety reports, and the herb is expensive to take in the doses required. It may be an option to try when other alternative antidepressants fail. One idea is to augment Polygala with Agmatine, which is known to potentiate NMDA antagonist effect.

• Informative x 1

#12 mono

• 188 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:06 AM

I am currently doing ECT under the recommendation of my psychiatrist, and they are using ketamine as an anaesthetic. I do have schizoaffective disorder and so far have not noticed any psychotic symptoms.

• unsure x 2
  • like x 1

#13 nickthird

• 173 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:22 PM

Ketamine was used as a sz model because it induces psychotic effects for the first <30 MINUTES of administration. There are no apparent long term psychotic effects.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 GABAergic

• Topic Starter
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:25 PM

The active constituent in Yueju is Polygala tenuifolia. It is available at Nootropics Depot. A dose of 0.1 mg/kg of Polygala extract in rats produced AD response similar to 10 mg/kg ketamine. Human equivalent dose would be 0.486 mg/day. However, there are no human studies or long-term safety reports, and the herb is expensive to take in the doses required. It may be an option to try when other alternative antidepressants fail. One idea is to augment Polygala with Agmatine, which is known to potentiate NMDA antagonist effect.

ive used the polygala from nootropics depot more than once. it helped tremendously with binge drinking. meaning, the moment you feel like drinking another glass, polygala made you stop. not sure the mechanism behind this but its the best remedy for binge drinking that i have found.

of course i must note, i took very high dose which can come up as quite expensive long term. another very interesting thing is by itself polygala didnt do anything for me even in mega doses. not sure why it only worked when alcohol was combined...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users