• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Applying moisturizer for 30 days reduced the levels of all three cytokines in the blood

inflammaging and the skin

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:47 PM

Small study (33) done at USCF and paid for by a Korean firm but very interesting.

According to a small pilot study, moisturizing our skin might reduce the risk of developing a range of chronic conditions, including heart disease, diabetes, and even Alzheimer's disease

As we age, skin becomes drier and less reliable. Age also affects the skin's permeability, meaning that it has trouble keeping water in and pathogens out. A reduction in skin moisture allows small cracks to appear, which sparks the release of cytokines into the blood supply.

In younger skin, cytokines help to repair cracks in the skin. Older skin, however, is more difficult to fix, which means that the body continually releases these inflammatory messengers; once they are in the blood, they can travel around the body.

Dr. Theodora Mauro, the lead author of the newest paper, explains, "Until recently, the scientific community didn't believe that skin could contribute to systemic inflammation and disease. But in the last 5 years, studies of psoriasis and dermatitis have shown that skin inflammation from these diseases likely increases the risk of heart disease."

Of course, aging skin is far more common than dermatitis or psoriasis; therefore, according to Dr. Mauro, "the overall risk to the population from aging skin could far outweigh that seen from skin diseases."

She believes that "[d]ecreasing inflammation simply by treating the skin dysfunction seen in aging could have profound health effects."

Thirty-three older adults between the ages of 58 and 95 applied the cream all over their bodies twice a day for 30 days. After a month, the researchers measured blood levels of three cytokines—interleukin-1 beta, interleukin-6, and tumor necrosis factor (TNF) alpha—that have all been implicated in age-related inflammatory diseases. Using the cream reduced the amount of all three cytokines compared to both the participants’ levels before using the cream and the levels of similarly aged adults who did not use the cream. In fact, using the cream lowered participants’ cytokine levels to be nearly equivalent with people in their 30s, suggesting that rejuvenating the skin can reverse “inflamm-aging.” The cream also improved skin hydration, lowered pH, and repaired the permeability barrier.

https://www.ucsf.edu...chronic-disease

https://www.medicaln...cles/324717.php

Edited by VP., 18 March 2019 - 03:51 PM.

• like x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#2 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 18 March 2019 - 04:10 PM

Yes but which one?
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 male_1978

• 109 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 04:47 PM

Questions:

- Does any moisturizing skin cream do the job? Which one was used in the experiment?

- Do we have do apply it to the whole skin (and not just the face...)?

- Do skin supplements like hyaluronic acid have the same effect?

• like x 1

#4 VP.

• Topic Starter
  • 498 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:15 PM

They used a "ratio" of cholesterol, free fatty acids, and ceramides applied whole body twice a day.

#5 VP.

• Topic Starter
  • 498 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:25 PM

According to a Reddit thread this is the product:  https://smile.amazon...e/dp/B00110OK54

Reddit: https://www.reddit.c..._scientists_at/

• Informative x 1

#6 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 01:28 AM

Supplemental Table 1.  Ingredients of Atopalm®

Ingredient

Glycerin, Vitis vinifera (Grape) seed oil, Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) seed oil, Olea europaea (Olive) fruit oil, Portulaca oleracea extract, Phytosterols, Sodium hyaluronate, Arginine, Tocopheryl acetate, Myristoyl/palmitoyl oxostearamide/arachamide MEA.

#7 Filler

• 8 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:10 PM

So similar to Cerave?

Would Cerave baby lotion be a good alternative as a face/body moisturizer?

Currently use cerave pm and body lotion but looking at the baby lotion wonder if its a better bang for the buck.

#8 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 03:08 AM

It contains Hydrogenated vegetable oil, which is known to be an adjunct to unhealthy diets. 

• like x 1

#9 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 04:03 AM

I know it's applied externally but still. If it is talking about barrier function, how could hydrogenated vegetable oils help with that and not get systemically absorbed in the process?

• like x 1

#10 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 06:58 AM

OK, this is sort of crazy and way too early to tell, but I figured, why not apply moisturizer all over my body? What harm could it do?

It's been only 4 days or so but I really feel like I notice a difference. I seem to have more energy during the day, perhaps elevated mood, etc. I take loads of supplements and rarely think I notice anything significant (except with rapamycin and NMN, etc.).

I usually shower at night and apply lotion immediately after. This is the lotion I have and have been using. I've used it on my face for a couple of years because it's one of the only lotions I found that does not irritate my skin:

https://www.ewg.org/...ion,_Unscented/

Anyone else been trying this? Notice anything obvious?

• Agree x 1

#11 VP.

• Topic Starter
  • 498 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 04:12 PM

Anyone else been trying this? Notice anything obvious?

I started about 5 days ago with Atopalm (used in study). I have felt great the last few days but I never made any connection until your post. I apply it once a day after showering and I'd estimate I am only getting about 50% of my skin surface area. Maybe, just maybe it's doing something. I will continue to monitor and change things up. Unfortunately now the placebo effect is in force. 

• Good Point x 1

#12 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:42 PM

Here's the Altopalm lotion, which is $45 for 10 oz:

https://www.atopalm....ion_p/75704.htm

Its ingredients are:

Water/Aqua, Glycerin, Propanediol, Myristoyl/palmitoyl Oxostearamide/arachamide MEA, Caprylic/capric Triglyceride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dimethicone, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower)Seed Oil, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Polyglyceryl-10 Distearate, Sorbitan Stearate, Vitis Vinifera (grape) Seed Oil, Olea Europaea (olive) Fruit Oil, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phytosterols, Caprylyl Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Allantoin, Arginine, Carbomer, Fragrance, Stearic Acid, Tropolone, Sodium Hyaluronate, Hydrolyzed Extensin

Here's the one I'm using, Everyone Unscented Body Lotion, which is $10 for 32 oz:

https://www.luckyvit...cented-32-fl-oz

Its ingredients are:

Purified Water, Vegetable Glycerin, Organic Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Glyceryl Stearate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetearyl Glucoside, Sorbitan Olivate, Stearyl Alcohol, Organic Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Lecithin, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetyl Esters, Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, EO® Organic Herbal Blend [Organic Aloe Barbadensis Leaf, Organic Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Organic Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, and Organic Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract], Xanthan Gum, Sodium Phytate, Dimethicone, Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Ethyhexylglycerin

They seem to be quite similar really.

• unsure x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#13 Filler

• 8 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:24 AM

Hows it going so far?
  • unsure x 2

#14 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 03:13 AM

I wonder if a simple hyaluronic acid serum would work. You can do DIY with this, its pretty easy to make. 

• Cheerful x 1

#15 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:08 AM

I'm still doing it. Maybe it's working. Have to get a c-reactive protein test etc. to see.

Hyaluronic acid might not work because they are saying that the moisturizer is reinforcing the barrier function of the skin which decreases with age, and I'm not sure it would have the same effect.

• Good Point x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#16 brosci

• 269 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:17 AM

I'd be curious how this compares to something simpler, like just whipped coconut oil (without all of those odd ingredients that you would never use internally.)

• Good Point x 1
  • dislike x 1

#17 trying2survive

• 51 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:19 PM

probably/hopefully good science, but I got a little skeptical reading this-- Elias and Man serve as consultants to South Korea–based Neopharm, Ltd., which produces the lipid-balanced moisturizer used in the study.

• Good Point x 4
  • unsure x 1
  • WellResearched x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#18 GABAergic

• 349 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:34 PM

oh cmon trying2survive i was actually enjoying those guys getting all excited talking about it asking people to try and report. now its like, meh. i usually always add positive studies like this to the mix for the enjoyment of discussion even though i know its sponsored and its funny people never even notice :)

Edited by GABAergic, 24 April 2019 - 07:34 PM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#19 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:35 AM

Just ordered some Atopalm. I'm falling for the Hype, let's see if it does anything. 

#20 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:03 PM

By the way, I have continued to apply the same moisturizer after showering and did get a high-sensitivity C-Reactive Protein test a couple of months ago.

The result was 0.4. Unfortunately I don't have previous test values handy to compare.

Edited by smithx, 09 September 2019 - 05:38 PM.

• Enjoying the show x 2
  • Agree x 1

#21 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:41 AM

By the way, I have continued to apply the same moisturizer after showering and did get a high-sensitivity C-Reactive Protein test a couple of months ago.

The result was 0.4. Unfortunately I don't have previous test values handy to compare.

You're doing great then, That score is phenomenal. 

#22 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:00 PM

You're doing great then, That score is phenomenal. 

Maybe the moisturizer is helping?!

• Agree x 1

#23 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:19 AM

Anybody know where Atopalm is manufactured?

#24 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:16 AM

Anybody know where Atopalm is manufactured?

FYI I'm using the much cheaper and widely available Everyone Unscented Body Lotion, which is about $10 for 32 oz:

#25 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:29 AM

FYI I'm using the much cheaper and widely available Everyone Unscented Body Lotion, which is about $10 for 32 oz:

Yes, I saw that. However, I am wondering where Atopalm is made since I just bought some of the stuff. I know it is a Korean brand but i'm wondering where the stuff is actually manufactured. 

• like x 1

#26 StanG

• 71 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 September 2019 - 04:33 PM

I've been using Hyaluronic Cream and Sealant with CeraVe for several years on the advice of my dermatologist. The CeraVe is used as a sealant and it works very well at this. I now have learned it may do much more than that. You should never bath every day (unless you have a sweaty type of job etc) as it robs your skin of natural oils and they get replaced less and less as we age. At 76, my skin is quite smooth.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#27 Engadin

• 198 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:15 PM

You should never bath every day (unless you have a sweaty type of job etc) as it robs your skin of natural oils and they get replaced less and less as we age.

Hi StanG, in my dermatologist's words, there's absolutely no need to soap your whole body up every time you get a shower because of the reason you provide related to our natural oils on our skin, made to be there. It's plain silly to remove them to substitute by those foreign compounds in a body cream. I just use soap everyday on armpits, hands, neck, feet, face and the usual area where both legs come together, front and rear. And l am and feel as fresh and clean as anyone can be after your daily shower. And I only use soap in the rest of my body twice a week. BTW I am 61 and my job is not a sweaty one.

Edited by Engadin, 21 September 2019 - 07:20 PM.

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users