- - - - -

Bros tell me about egg protein

egg protein

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:03 AM

Can it count as a nice protein source? Will it smell like eggs? Can you get more cholesterol if you eat eggs near the time you have egg protein? There was one kind I saw online thar showed the amino acid detail and it had 0 of something. Moreover I tried to find it again but could not. One reviewer said they take an extra product to compensate. Difficulty?

Then share your experiences with that supplememt.

#2 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:46 PM

Egg Whites, one of the richest sources of methionine, which some feel may be unwise in large amounts.

https://www.leafscie...low-down-aging/

I still love my Denver Omelettes, but don't know if deliberate high methionine intake is something I'd want to make part of my longevity stack.  

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:36 PM

That article says sulfur is bad. Does that mean methylsuffinylmethane is bad?
  • Good Point x 1

#4 Oakman

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:09 PM

That article says sulfur is bad. Does that mean methylsuffinylmethane is bad?

The study didn't say sulfur is bad, it said sulfur amino acids restrictions could offer longevity effects, but test on humans haven't happened yet.

Edited by Oakman, 23 May 2019 - 11:09 PM.

#5 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 11:27 PM

So egg supplements are like this too?  Are egg whites having all the  methionine?  I thought people ditched the yok because it was unhealthy, but eggwhites are supposedly not good for you either?

#6 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 02:58 AM

Egg whites are a good source of high quality protein, & protein certainly isn't a bad thing.  What's worth pondering is whether supplementing high methionine protein into a diet already replete with protein from other sources might be unwise.  The "more isn't always better" argument.  If your diet is mostly fruit & veg, a little supplemental egg protein might be beneficial, but if your diet already contains red meat, chicken or fish etc, my humble opinion would be against supplementing additional egg protein.  

Nothing wrong with dietary eggs in my book.  The yolks were demonized because they contain cholesterol, yet most are now in agreement dietary cholesterol doesn't effect blood cholesterol levels significantly, so this was most likely a bad call.  Nothing wrong with the whites either, which are a great source of protein, but again; if you're diet is already replete with protein from other sources, I wouldn't throw more protein into the mix with protein supplements; particularly high methionine egg white protein supplements.  

#7 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:22 AM

I basically eat vegetarian most days of the week.  Sometimes some pork, chicken or fish.  This does not include my collagen mix in the morning.  I eat tons of eggs, though, and am preoccupied that adding additional supply from protein might be a problem.  So if you were getting 50grams of protein from egg white shake per day is that a misunderstanding?

#8 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 12:24 AM

If I was getting any animal protein from dietary sources, I don't believe I'd like to add extra protein shakes into the mix, particularly if the protein in the shake was sourced from a high methionine product like egg whites. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5008916/

"In particular, it was shown that restriction of a single amino acid, methionine, can mimic the effects of DR and extend lifespan in various model organisms."

Dietary/caloric restriction is the only longevity regime that seems to have been effectively proven in higher mammals, and if methionine restriction can achieve this without starving, so much the better.  Adding extra methionine to a diet that already contains animal protein would seem unwise.  

• Agree x 1

#9 Darryl

• 650 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:44 PM

Highest methionine source among foods.

Which means it isn't suited for longevity focused diets.

• Good Point x 1
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 06:28 AM

That's quite a library you've got there Darryl.  Nice to see you posting again!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users