Photo

Talking with Laura Deming: Aging is the World's Most Important Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 10:28 AM

Laura Deming is one of the people influential in the sweeping shift of the past few years in research and development of therapies to treat aging, in which rejuvenation biotechnologies such as senolytic therapies finally started the move from the laboratory into startup companies, on the way to the clinic. She founded the first venture fund to specialize in what people are now calling the longevity sector of the biotech industry, somewhat before that longevity sector actually existed in any meaningful way. Now, of course, funding is pouring into this area of development; the years ahead will be interesting. Now is very much the time for entrepreneurs to step up, find viable projects in aging and longevity, raise the funds, and carry them forward into clinical development.

At 25, Laura Deming has already achieved more in her chosen field - anti-ageing - than many people twice her age. At 12 she was researching the biology of ageing in the laboratory of one of the world's leading scientists; at 14 she went to study physics at MIT, only to drop out at 17 and start a venture capital fund under the guidance of Silicon Valley entrepreneur Peter Thiel. Aubrey de Grey, the English gerontologist who has suggested that humans might live to be 1,000, calls Deming an "utter genius" for her scientific and investment "brilliance".

There is a long history of charlatans selling the cure to getting old. However, Deming is no biohacker; she isn't fiddling with diet, exercise, or pills to add an extra year or two to her life. Her ambition is far greater: to accelerate anti-ageing science so that everyone can live healthier lives for longer. To that end, she founded the Longevity Fund in 2011, when she was still a teenager, to invest in biotech companies making treatments for age-related diseases.

When Deming decided to start raising money to get anti-ageing research out of the lab, she was still too young to sign the paperwork - her father had to do it on her behalf. She received some advice from Peter Thiel but confesses that she really did not know what she was doing. "You'd google 'How to start a venture capital fund' and there were just no articles," she says, amazed. For the first two years of the fund, Deming tried to sell investors on the "science and the humanitarian issues at stake". "Honestly, for two years I gave the same pitch of, here's a $20 billion market and here's all the people who are dying, can someone help them? And everyone was like, 'That's amazing, you're such a good person', and nobody invested," she laughs. She learned she needed to link her passion for the cause to a "very concrete business case".

The fund's first investment, in Unity Biotechnology, helped her to do that. Unity is developing a drug that targets senescent cells - decrepit cells that refuse to die. If it works, the drug could be used to treat age-related diseases such as osteoarthritis, eye diseases, and pulmonary diseases. Unity went public last year and now has a valuation of more than $350 million. "Having a concrete case to show potential investors ... that was what brought it together." Deming's biggest fear is the hype cycle: what if a few early anti-ageing trials flop, and the money goes away? "That gives me a lot of fear, because it's a field that is still very early. There's a lot of stuff that's still being figured out, and I think a lot of things will fail."

Link: https://www.irishtim...oblem-1.3912575

View the full article at FightAging

#2 Darryl

• 650 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:27 PM

A hyperbolic statement to anyone familiar with the climate change or resource depletion literature. 

• Agree x 3

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 02:39 AM

Or AI. And the threat of nuclear war.
  • Good Point x 1

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,039 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 10:52 AM

Aging is a more near-term threat. I have parents, friends, and colleagues who are dying and in awful pain. Some have argued that if there is hope too cure aging, that this will create a historic change in human attitudes. With death off the table, people might think more about preserving the future.

Otherwise, I agree with sthira. AI is definitely the biggest near term threat. It is a potentially existential wild-card that no one can predict. Climate change is waaaaaaaaay down on my list of "serious" problems/issues I think about. I wrote about it recently here, and an older article here.

Edited by Mind, 17 June 2019 - 07:40 PM.

• Ill informed x 2
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#5 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 June 2019 - 12:22 AM

Aging is a more near-term threat. I have parents, friends, and colleagues who are dying and in awful pain. Some have argued that if there is hope too cure aging, that this will create a historic change in human attitudes. With death off the table, people might think more about reserving the future.

Otherwise, I agree with sthira. AI is definitely the biggest near term threat. It is a potentially existential wild-card that no one can predict. Climate change is waaaaaaaaay down on my list of "serious" problems/issues I think about. I wrote about it recently here, and an older article here.

Religion is one of the largest threats at the moment. How many thousands of people were killed just hours apart in the name of religion just not too long ago? How many thousands are killed every year because of a religion? Just wait till Iran gets the bomb.

If we could cure aging and live hundreds of years I would hope and dream that humanity would stop claiming to know what's on the other side and stop killing people who don't subscribe to a particular fairytale.

AI is going to change the world but humans control it as we are engineering it. I don't think Skynet is possible in my lifetime.

Climate change as a threat to the world is a myth and a political tool. What people fail to understand is that all the carbon in the ground was originally in the atmosphere. Secondly all the ice in the world was originally liquid water. If the climate change threat from carbon dioxide was real, the solution was found in the 1940s and is called nuclear power. But nuclear power isn't PC and so is disallowed to be mentioned.

If climate change from carbon dioxide was the threat, then the climate change Kool-aid drinkers would be concerned about the overpopulation of earth. If you plot their temperature charts against the number of people living and breathing out carbon dioxide, there is a direct correlation to temperature and the number of people. Time to get rid of people, eh?

Perhaps the real wild card is something outside of our planet. Asteroids, gamma ray bursts, solar activity.

Just a little over 200 years ago we were in a little ice age that wreaked havoc on the world. And it wasn't man made.

Does anyone remember when Mount Pinatubo(?) erupted? The following summer around the world was rather cold, just from one relatively small eruption.

Edited by Rocket, 17 June 2019 - 12:31 AM.

• Ill informed x 2

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:28 AM

Religion is one of the largest threats at the moment. How many thousands of people were killed just hours apart in the name of religion just not too long ago? How many thousands are killed every year because of a religion? Just wait till Iran gets the bomb.

If we could cure aging and live hundreds of years I would hope and dream that humanity would stop claiming to know what's on the other side and stop killing people who don't subscribe to a particular fairytale.

AI is going to change the world but humans control it as we are engineering it. I don't think Skynet is possible in my lifetime.

Climate change as a threat to the world is a myth and a political tool. What people fail to understand is that all the carbon in the ground was originally in the atmosphere. Secondly all the ice in the world was originally liquid water. If the climate change threat from carbon dioxide was real, the solution was found in the 1940s and is called nuclear power. But nuclear power isn't PC and so is disallowed to be mentioned.

If climate change from carbon dioxide was the threat, then the climate change Kool-aid drinkers would be concerned about the overpopulation of earth. If you plot their temperature charts against the number of people living and breathing out carbon dioxide, there is a direct correlation to temperature and the number of people. Time to get rid of people, eh?

Perhaps the real wild card is something outside of our planet. Asteroids, gamma ray bursts, solar activity.

Just a little over 200 years ago we were in a little ice age that wreaked havoc on the world. And it wasn't man made.

Does anyone remember when Mount Pinatubo(?) erupted? The following summer around the world was rather cold, just from one relatively small eruption.

Generally agree with you, xcept for the bolded part.   I thought Iran wanted the bomb for the same reason as N.Korea, so that they don't end up like Livia and Iraq. It's a matter of security and sovereignty, not religion.

• Agree x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users