- - - - -

prophylactic supplementation for polycarbonate implant toxicity

polyeurethane medical device

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 chrisp2

• 166 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:51 AM

One of my friends at work is planning on getting artificial disc replacements for his lumbar spine.

Research indicates the elastomer that is used to provide for cushioning of the vertebrae will over time, will emit 4,4'-Methylenedianiline...  Which is believed to be toxic.

He's in a bit of a difficult spot.  Disc replacements with elastomers will retain mobility at those levels without causing adjacent vertebral bodies to degenerate (due to increased stresses).  Fusion isn't particularly desirable for a lot of reasons.

I'm seeking to provide ideas for him on supplements that, should he proceed with the surgery, will help reduce his risk. 

The elastomer in use has been in medical devices I think for around 18 years.  It's considered safe - but 18 years isn't really a heck of a long time in terms of conclusively determining cancer risk - just not a large enough population and/or length of time.

He takes a decent multivitamin, 5000 IU of vitamin D3.  I'm thinking Resveratrol should be added.  What are the other big-hitters to help protect against plastic toxins?

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users