• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Engadin

• 198 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:42 AM

S O U R C E :   MedicalXpress

F U L L   T E X T   P R I M A L   S O U R C E :   EMBO Molecular Medicine

T I T L E :   3,4‐Dimethoxychalcone induces autophagy through activation of the transcription factors TFE3 and TFEB

There are many indications that fasting promotes longevity. In recent years, much attention has been devoted to so-called caloric restriction mimetics (CMRs), substances that simulate the health-promoting effects of fasting without the need of life-style change. In a study published in EMBO Molecular Medicine, a research team led by Oliver Kepp and Guido Kroemer at the French Medical Research Council (INSERM) reports the identification of a novel candidate CRM. The substance may prove useful in the further research for the treatment of age-related diseases.

The first experimental evidence that fasting can prolong lifespan is more than a century old. Since then, researchers have confirmed these findings in many different species. When cells are starved, they stop growing and rather invest into a self-clearing process called autophagy in which they recycle their own cellular waste. Autophagy rejuvenates the cells and rids them from toxic and misfolded proteins. More recently, Kroemer and other research teams have shed more light on the molecular mechanisms behind this phenomenon.

While caloric restriction is probably one of the most effective measures for lifespan extension in animal models, it is difficult to pursue in real life. However, current research indicates that the consumption of certain substances has a similar effect. In previous work, Kroemer and his colleagues demonstrated that so-called caloric restriction mimetics (CRMs) such as spermidine and resveratrol can also induce autophagy. The anti-aging effect of these agents has been demonstrated in a variety of species from yeast to worms and on to mice. In addition, spermidine has been correlated with human longevity and reduced cardiovascular and cancer-related mortality.

To uncover more CRMs, Kroemer and his team now tested 200 compounds that belong to the same class of substances as spermidine and resveratrol. They first examined which of these substances show cellular reactions characteristic of elevated autophagy in rat and human cell cultures, while not being toxic to the cells. An agent called 3,4-dimethoxy chalcone (3,4-DC) stood out as the best candidate. A closer look at the exact mode of action of 3,4-DC revealed that it induces autophagy through a different pathway than spermidine and resveratrol.

The researchers then investigated the effect of 3,4-DC on living animals. To this end, they injected the substance into mice. They found that it protects against myocardial infarction and that it reduces the growth of tumors in the context of certain chemotherapeutic agents. Both effects have previously been associated with autophagy and with CRMs such as spermidine and resveratrol.

.../...

Chart form the Primal Source Study:

emmm201910469-abs-0001-m.jpg

From a library of polyphenols and polyamines, the 3,4‐dimethoxychalcone (3,4‐DC) was screened and identified as a caloric restriction mimetic (CRM) that induces autophagy through TFEB and TFE3 and results in cardioprotection and improved efficacy of anticancer chemotherapy in mice.

• 3,4‐DC induces all hallmarks of caloric restriction mimicry, i.e. the combination of autophagy, reduced protein acetylation and absence of toxicity.
  • 3,4‐DC induces autophagy in a TFEB‐ and TFE3‐regulated, transcription and translation‐dependent manner.
  • 3,4‐DC causes cardioprotection and enhances anticancer effects of chemotherapy in an autophagy‐dependent fashion in vivo in mice.

.../...

F O R   T H E   R E S T   O F   T H E   A R T I C L E ,   P L E A S E   V I S I T   T H E   S O U R C E .

• Informative x 2

#2 joesixpack

• 466 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:32 AM

Hi Engadin,

You post these reports without commenting on them. Do you have opinions?

Caloric restriction seems to work for mice, but there is not much to support it in humans, unless they are obese.

What are your thoughts? I think it is good for humans to diet, what do you think?

#3 Engadin

• Topic Starter
  • 198 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:11 PM

Hi joesixpack, I am mostly some sort of a conveyor belt for aging-related news to LongeCity.

Nonetheless, relative to these news, I can say I do three-days fasting every two months (for a full throttle autophagy), with a "monday and wednesday" intermittent fasting every two weeks. After some experimenting, my guess is it works this way for me as my arthritis is mostly gone (about 95%).

By the way, I don't change my daily routine at all while fasting (for sample, work out or exercise wise).

I have never done CR since counting calories is a daily routine that is hard for me to adhere to.

My advice, if any, is to try IF (intermittent fasting) in any of the many ways it can be done. You can find some nice ways to start fasting here. Any way, you can find more help at home, here in LongeCity.

And I'm glad to show you there are some important studies on IF on non-obese, healthy individuals. Enjoy.

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: autophagy, tfe3, tfbe, 34‐dimethoxy chalcone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users