• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

does NR cause eye damage like niacin does?

niacin nr

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 sedentary

• 155 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 09:26 PM

i know NR is based off niacin, and according to this article; https://medicalxpres...er-vitamin.html too much niacin is very bad for the eyes. is it possible NR has the same toxicity issues??

• Ill informed x 1

#2 joesixpack

• 467 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 October 2019 - 04:05 AM

No, the dose of NR is 300 mg. This guy was taking 6 grams. And when he stopped taking it, the eye problem went away. Try reading the article and not just the headline.

three to six grams of niacin daily for several months to reduce his risk of cardiovascular events and was unaware of the risk to his eyesight. He purchased the supplement at a drug store after a doctor told him he had high cholesterol. The standard dosage is one to three grams a day with a maximum dose of six grams, but doctors typically warn against treating the condition with supplements purchased over the counter and prefer to prescribe and monitor an FDA-approved dose of niacin.

NYEE clinicians diagnosed the problem using several state-of-the-art technologies, including fluorescein angiographyoptical coherence tomography (OCT), and multifocal electroretinography (MERG), to examine his retina for evidence of cellular damage and monitor his response to therapy. Fluorescein angiography uses fluorescent dye to trace blood flow through retinal arteries and veins, looking for leaks. OCT is an advanced structural imaging technique that reveals the cross-sectional details of the retina cells, layer by layer. MERG measures the electrical signals from different layers of cells in the eyes.

The imaging allowed investigators to diagnose a rare toxic reaction called niacin-induced maculopathy. The high dose of niacin led to cystoid macular edema of the retina, which is fluid in the macula (a small area in the center of the retina that produces detailed and centralized vision) that causes swelling. The technology also allowed investigators to identify the cellular structures responsible for the patient's condition. The MERG recorded in this case showed reduced b-waves, which indicated that cells affected by the toxicity were the Muller cells, which span the depth of the retina like support columns.

Discontinuation of the vitamin reversed this effect and restored retinal function and electrical signals. This led investigators to demonstrate, for the first time, that the Muller cells were the target of niacin toxicity, and the cause of niacin maculopathy.

• Needs references x 1
  • unsure x 1

#3 sedentary

• Topic Starter
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 06:55 AM

i did read it. for some it might be 6 grams for others half of that amount. fact is, this is a problem that can happen with niacin. there arent any articles yet on long term supplementation of niacin in normal doses and eye issues yet. what if you were taking way less than that for few years, and eye problems still occur? you wouldnt know or connect it to the niacin because it will be extremely difficult. im just worried and im not yet sure there is safety demonstrated for any niacin by products like NR with normal doses for years at time. i dont think we will ever know anyway if such problem ever happens its hard to connect it to one supplement out of dozen someone is taking for those years. how about be more cautious instead of being defensive about it? considering NR is new and not yet proven completely safe, ill be cautious.

Edited by sedentary, 30 October 2019 - 06:55 AM.

• Agree x 2
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Unfriendly x 1

#4 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:56 AM

One case of niacin toxicity at 6g/day that was easily reversed is nothing to worry about. I took 3g/day for twenty five years (beginning in 1969) and never saw any difficulty except for acid stomach, which can be dealt with these days with OTC antacids. I maintained a more youthful appearance all that time. But six grams? Every substance has a point where it becomes toxic, and I can't imagine taking that much. Nowadays I take no supplements every day, as there are smarter ways of achieving long term health.

• Informative x 2

#5 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 October 2019 - 04:03 PM

@ sedentary 

Comparing Niacin with NR is not fruitful because of their very different pharmacokinetics.

There have been  human safety studies of moderate doses of NR. Consensus is that NR passed the test.

If it makes you feel more at ease about NR: I have been taking about 500 mgs daily for about 5 to 6 years now (see also the NR experiences thread). I am in particular good condition for a 67 year old and have not experienced any deterioration of my eyes. Nor any improvement btw ('floaters').

#6 sedentary

• Topic Starter
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 10:00 PM

i see. NR for 6 years, interesting because i thought NR is relatively new. I only started reading about it in the news 3 years ago. I mean, all the studies coming out that is, around that time 3 years ago. and from all the safety studies they have done, it hasnt been tested for more than a year of regular use therefore im cautious. i actually stopped using it after i noticed zero benefits and also the fact the price was never going down even if its popularity grew. in fact, in some places i think the price even went higher hah. its all business when it comes to supplements *sigh*

harkijin, may i ask why do you continue using it for up to 6 years at this point? at such long time with such high dose, you must be feeling all the positives in the world it claims to do. i suppose it works hence why you continue doing it... but at such price, i guess you can afford it which is good. again, the business when it comes to supplements will usually benefit the rich or just rip them off either way.

turnbuckle, i read a lot of negative press about otc antacids lately. in fact, long term they screw up the stomach even further. did you stop them completely by now? https://www.futurity...aths-2075272-2/

#7 joesixpack

• 467 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 October 2019 - 04:19 AM

Sedentary,

Instead of trolling this thread, I suggest you read the many threads here about NR.

If you do not want to take it after that then don't. And yes I will get the emoji's indicating, "unfriendly" " uninformative" etc. But this is a waste of time.

A few days ago I got one that said "needs references" when I quoted the article in my post.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Unfriendly x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#8 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 October 2019 - 10:29 AM

I took 1g niacin (flush kind) and had eye problems too... but then again my health condition currently is poor so.

Edited by farshad, 31 October 2019 - 10:30 AM.

• Informative x 1

#9 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 October 2019 - 05:45 PM

harkijin, may i ask why do you continue using it for up to 6 years at this point? at such long time with such high dose, you must be feeling all the positives in the world it claims to do. i suppose it works hence why you continue doing it... but at such price, i guess you can afford it which is good. again, the business when it comes to supplements will usually benefit the rich or just rip them off either way.

Actually I should join joesixpack in referring you to read at least the full NR Experiences thread. But since you are threadstarter:

After a period of sickness medication 'normalized' me but left me with low energy for  a long time until I started to take NR. Taking NR got me off the couch and start walking and later training. I kept up with the literature over the years and I think that taking a moderate amount (500mg is really a moderate amount) keeps my NAD levels(at least in  some parts of the body) from falling too low. Not less than that but no miracles.

If ever some vendor tried to persuade you that NR is a cure all for a medical condition or a fountain of youth you should blame them not NR.

More to the point : comparing Niacin and NR is not useful because of their totally different pharmacokinetics. 

Moreover overdoses of almost anything have nasty consequences.....

#10 joesixpack

• 467 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 November 2019 - 04:22 AM

Sedentary,

Instead of trolling this thread, I suggest you read the many threads here about NR.

If you do not want to take it after that then don't. And yes I will get the emoji's indicating, "unfriendly" " uninformative" etc. But this is a waste of time.

A few days ago I got one that said "needs references" when I quoted the article in my post.

Hey, told you I would get the emojis. I wonder who those people are?  Yes, this is a time waster, uninformed, needs references,  and dangerous post, and so are your emojis.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Agree x 1

#11 sedentary

• Topic Starter
  • 155 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 10:28 PM

joesixpack, im going to give you off topic if you continue being upset about some emojis. perhaps maybe you should send a message to a moderator and ask them why a forum that is suppose to take itself serious has some kiddie rating system including lots of silly emojis and then having all those kids joining in the party abusing the shit out of the emojis and ruining serious posts! but im probably going to ask them myself actually. the whole silly emoji rating system is an absolute joke. is this forum really meant to be taken serious? man, i do not know anymore.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users