All supplementation and Kidney health

kidneys bun blood urea

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:45 PM

Happy Thanksgiving guys.

I have a thought today. And that thought is relating to those of us who supplement a LOT and it's effect on Kidneys and BUN score. 

I was speaking to a Pharmacist yesterday (yes I said the devil word) and I talked about supplementation and waste products. He made a very good point when I told him my BUN score was around 19-20 (I think the standard range at the lab I go to is <21) the last two times I had it measured. He said long term supplementation, for the effects I am using it for, could also work against those effects by causing the Kidney and Liver to over-work.

Has anyone ever considered this with long term supplementation? And if you have, have you added to your regimen ANY supplements that can counteract that potentiality?  It's concerning because if long term supplementation can cause Kidney or liver damage, once one organ goes the other's soon follow! Not saying that's going to happen or that there are not other reasons the BUN score is closer to the < mark such as muscle regeneration from working out, but it's still a conversation worth having. 

Thanks. 

#2 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 November 2019 - 01:24 AM

Dasatanib improved my Egfr values in blood tests. That's one area where we all need help if we plan on life extension! To me its more than a little unnerving that over time, no matter what, values get worse and worse over time!
  • Enjoying the show x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 01:38 AM

Dasatanib improved my Egfr values in blood tests. That's one area where we all need help if we plan on life extension! To me its more than a little unnerving that over time, no matter what, values get worse and worse over time!

Isn't that stringently used for Chemo-therapy?

#4 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2019 - 01:22 AM

Senescent cell removal. Should reduce inflammation as a byproduct.

#5 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 04:45 AM

Senescent cell removal. Should reduce inflammation as a byproduct.

Any references thereof?

#6 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 December 2019 - 01:17 AM

I think its well established that Scells are a cause inflammation. Read the Scell threads. It is WELL established that D kills Scells here and elsewhere on the web. This is all documented on Longevity my friend. Yes, there is a lot to read but its all on this site.

Factually speaking, pre and post blood work, my egfr improved a couple of points after my first round of D. I make no claims about D and kidneys other my own experimental evidence.

My own lifestyle of high protein and caloric intake isn't about lifespan but more for health span and harder on kidneys than say low protein and calories. So I am keen on anything to keep kidneys healthy. My muscle mass increase of some 40 pounds or so has skewed my egfr values for the worse and I had a secondary type of test given by a doctor to confirm my kidneys were functioning properly. The typical kidney test is based on someone weighing something like 180 pounds and doesn't take into account someone with a healthy (muscle not fat) excess body weight.

Turnbuckle has a great thread on mitochondria and altering their dynamics for the better. Unfortunately I don't see him doing blood work for having results from his therapy which should improve all the health biomakers controlled by the health state of mitochondria.

Edited by Rocket, 01 December 2019 - 01:27 AM.

• Needs references x 1

#7 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:39 AM

well this is a terrifying thread.  Which things should we check to make sure kidneys are nice?

Edited by ironfistx, 02 December 2019 - 03:40 AM.

• Enjoying the show x 1

#8 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:56 PM

idk if this is helpful but vitamin d improved my kidneys health, cant find anything on this though online.

Edited by farshad, 02 December 2019 - 12:57 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 02:53 PM

Has anyone ever considered this with long term supplementation?

well this is a terrifying thread.  Which things should we check to make sure kidneys are nice?

My results for the last 11 years of supplementing heavily (about 250 supplements) against cronic diseases (PAD, COPD, T2D) with major remissions. Dividing averages in the first and second half of this long period:

LIVER: NAFLD in 2000 (from 7 malarias and their treadment; amoebic hepatitis), in 2006 non-circulated nodules in the liver found by ultra-sound, now all gone.

AST 32 vs. 29 (up to 30 times measured)
ALT 37 vs. 29
GGT 37 vs. 39
CHE 8.4 vs. 9

APH 91 vs. 74
LDH 205 vs. 242
CPK 129 vs. 153

KIDNEY: according to an online calculator, CKD stage 1 initially only

Creatinine 0.9 vs. 1
BUN 29 vs. 30
BUN/Creatinine 30 vs. 37
Uric acid 4.7 vs. 4.6
GFR 102 vs. 101 (not many data-points, since most labs only reported >, >60 up to 2010, >80 up to 2014, and >90 since then)
Albumin urinary 36 vs. 37

The only blood test I have before starting to supplement from 2006 are equally divided by some better, some worse numbers. But generally a single test says almost nothing about long term.

Edited by pamojja, 02 December 2019 - 03:13 PM.

• Enjoying the show x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kidneys, bun, blood urea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users