• NO

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:15 AM

Is it okay to mix these supplements? They're in powder form:

Creatine 

MSM 

Lysine 

Boron 

Magnesium

Does anyone see a problem mixing all the powders and taking them at the same time?

Your opinions will be much appreciated. TIA

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#2 Oakman

Posted 06 December 2019 - 02:15 PM

Generally no, this should not be a problem as they are normal supplements. Where trouble might arise in the the amounts you take. Creatine, MSM, and lysine can be taken in relatively large amounts (grams), but not so for magnesium and boron. Start with recommended dosing for all of them, then start slow by cutting that dose by half or more to test for any ill effects.

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 02:39 PM

I agree with what Oakman says.  Particularly on the boron.  Boron is a trace element and not something we normally get a lot of.  I personally would probably not do that one in the form of a bulk powder.  Too easy to get too much.  If it were me I'd stick with a capsule. 

Your gut will give you feedback on the magnesium.  Get too much of that and you're going to be spending a lot of time in the bathroom.  Not likely to do permanent damage though.

• Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#4 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 04:25 PM

Who dinged the original post as pointless?  Supplement interactions have been something I've been concerned with for quite a while.  I'd like to see an entire thread about this. 

I know polyphenols bind dietary thiamine to an unusable form if they are taken together, & acid blockers also inhibit thiamine uptake.  Those on PPI meds who also take polyphenols could easily develop chronic, sub-clinical deficiencies.  

Does highly acidic Vitamin-C damage SAM-e, or kill probiotics if they are taken together on an empty stomach?  Are Mag Citrate & potassium compatible?  

These seem like the kind of questions & answers that should be considered more often on a supplement forum.  

• Good Point x 4

#5 Lady4T

• Topic Starter
  • 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 December 2019 - 05:41 AM

Yes, of course, I'm aware of the proper dosages for each as I've taken them on and off through the years. I just want to simplify my life, and pre-mix the doses, "package" each mix and just take that whole thing at once (mix it into something palatable).

I'm just not sure if they "play nice" with each other taken at the same time. 

• Good Point x 2
  • Well Written x 1

#6 Lady4T

• Topic Starter
  • 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 December 2019 - 05:46 AM

These seem like the kind of questions & answers that should be considered more often on a supplement forum.  

I agree. I see so many on here taking several substances together, and I always wonder if some of those things might counteract each other, or worse: produce a detrimental effect at some point.

• Good Point x 3

#7 Oakman

Posted 07 December 2019 - 03:08 PM

I agree. I see so many on here taking several substances together, and I always wonder if some of those things might counteract each other, or worse: produce a detrimental effect at some point.

I've had a strange thing happen once. I mix powder and/or encapsulate many "special purpose" combinations regularly. Once after making a 1 gram capsule combo of a light color, over a week or so it strangely turned black and went from powder to goo. I didn't notice at 1st, but by the second batch I noticed and stopped making/taking it. 

Fortunately no ill effects, but it is a reminder that supplements are chemicals, and chemicals, when mixed, can produce (unexpected) other compounds. Also, add in the contents of your stomach, like acid and enzymes, and things can get complicated.

However, let me say that over the last five years, this only occurred once out of literally dozens and dozens of concoctions, and never (well maybe once) have I noticed detrimental effect once ingested. Not to mention, every day I take roughly twenty separated (not compounded) supplements... IOW... I'm not stopping my N=1 experiments because of an odd occurrence now and again. The benefits have been too great.

Edited by Oakman, 07 December 2019 - 03:09 PM.

• Good Point x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 Lady4T

• Topic Starter
  • 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 December 2019 - 11:13 PM

I've had a strange thing happen once. I mix powder and/or encapsulate many "special purpose" combinations regularly. Once after making a 1 gram capsule combo of a light color, over a week or so it strangely turned black and went from powder to goo. I didn't notice at 1st, but by the second batch I noticed and stopped making/taking it.

Something like that happened to me a few years ago with a "bath salts" mix I made. It was a nice white powder when I first put all the ingredients together, but after about three weeks I began to see some brown specks. I stopped using it, but I kept it after that to see what happens -- the dark particles increased in number until the mixture looked like a salt & pepper mix. I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect that it was the Vit. C that oxidized.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users