• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Application of Progesterone induces regenerative response?

regeneration

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lukas_93

• 19 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 11:32 PM

I came across this really interesting article and wanted to know what you think? 

https://www.scienced...211124718315730

Highlights

Adult Xenopus laevis frogs are capable of induced increased regenerative response

Improved limb regeneration is driven by a wearable bioreactor containing progesterone

Improvements occur at molecular, anatomical, and behavioral (functional) levels

A 24-hr treatment is sufficient to trigger many months of regenerative growth

Summary

The induction of limb repair in adult vertebrates is a pressing, unsolved problem. Here, we characterize the effects of an integrated device that delivers drugs to severed hindlimbs of adult Xenopus laevis, which normally regenerate cartilaginous spikes after amputation. A wearable bioreactor containing a silk protein-based hydrogel that delivered progesterone to the wound site immediately after hindlimb amputation for only 24 hr induced the regeneration of paddle-like structures in adult frogs. Molecular markers, morphometric analysis, X-ray imaging, immunofluorescence, and behavioral assays were used to characterize the differences between the paddle-like structures of successful regenerates and hypomorphic spikes that grew in untreated animals. Our experiments establish a model for testing therapeutic cocktails in vertebrate hindlimb regeneration, identify pro-regenerative activities of progesterone-containing bioreactors, and provide proof of principle of brief use of integrated device-based delivery of small-molecule drugs as a viable strategy to induce and maintain a long-term regenerative response.

• like x 2
  • Informative x 1

#2 lukas_93

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:42 PM

Okay let s rephrase that a little more provocatively: 

Do you think the mechanism would be similar if applied to human tissue?

I do not expect bone regeneration, but maybe better wound healing because it modulates inflammatory responses. 

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:32 PM

I am curious about brain regeneration from progesterone but studies seem to conclude that even its anticipated neuroprotective effects were not present when administered to people with brain injuries.

• Informative x 1

#4 lukas_93

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:46 PM

I am curious about brain regeneration from progesterone but studies seem to conclude that even its anticipated neuroprotective effects were not present when administered to people with brain injuries.

That s interesting! Do you have a link to the study? 

#5 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 09:38 PM

Studies I found from Google. I believe there were other studies I found earlier

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/26126980

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/26598278

• Good Point x 1

#6 floret

• 32 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 July 2021 - 02:02 AM

I recently started progesterone treatments (unrelated to anti aging, it's for endometriosis). I'll keep you posted on how young I get. :P

• like x 1

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#7 floret

• 32 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 August 2021 - 09:20 PM

Update: not any younger yet. In fact, very slightly older. In all seriousness, though, the progesterone not only had no effect on my age but didn't do anything for my symptoms, either, incidentally.

Edited by floret, 21 August 2021 - 09:21 PM.

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: regeneration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users