So, megadose vitamins, is this legit?

orthomolecular

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
⌛⇒ new years donation: support LE labs

#1 ironfistx

• 915 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:52 PM

I have been spending hours reading Andrew Saul's website, doctoryourself.com.  Mainly, this confusion is that the site is written pretty well such that I WANT to keep reading it.  But I will summarize.  High dose vitamin C eliminates sensations from cancer, and may treat it.  Naturally, the corporations don't want this information getting out.  Niacin cures psychosis.  Sprouts reverse blindness.

I was mostly on board until I got to him being against vaccines.

Anyway, does anyone mind shedding light on this?  Andrew Saul, Linus Pauling, Doc Giff, what are the deals with the stories these people tell?

When I take large doses of vitamins I don't feel good.

Are they preventative at all?  Will giant doses of vitamin C block you from getting cancer?  Dementia?  Arthritis?

Is this just nonsense from people choosing a different perspective to get viewers to their site?

• like x 1

#2 gamesguru

• 2,681 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:00 PM

It's BS.  Basically relies on the anti-oxidant or chelation or some other theory of the month.

Beyond basic daily requirements, mega-dosing most things is useless, even counter-productive.  Vitamin C is probably going to leave less of a bad feeling than B vitamins (which may paradoxically wipe you out).

Better to get 70% of your RDA from foods than 130% from vitamins.. the foods provide fiber, and other phyto-nutrients and polyphenols that are DEFINITELY good for the body but not present in the vitamin or even in some cases supplement extracts.  A lot of requirements may be blown out of proporation, calcium notorious among them.

So yeah, listen to your body.  Pair up what it is saying, with what advice you are getting from the internet.  Linus Pauling died 25 years ago, not many credible names today are injecting mega-doses of Vitamin C or the likes.

Have a read of Andrew Weil's blog, you will see the leading experts are much more conservative.  He even says not to use Bacopa or Ginkgo, to stick with more proven approaches like Green Tea.

• Ill informed x 1
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 915 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:30 PM

Clearly, he says the companies don't want this information getting out.  Using Vitamin C is effective, but they can't make money while people know this!!!

CONSPIRACY.

All these folks say this.  Is there any honesty in it?

⌛⇒ new years donation: support LE labs

#4 gamesguru

• 2,681 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 03:13 AM

They don't want this information getting out.  It's secret information bro didn't you know?  Welcome to the club, yo.

No honesty in it, or intelligence.  Just plain, outrageous claims.. so outrageous they go unquestioned.

#5 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 915 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:40 AM

Do the stories they tell about it really keep lies?

This is the story about niacin curing psychosis: http://www.doctoryou...the_corner.html

This is the story about sprouts fixing sight problems: http://www.doctoryou...m/eyesight.html

This is the story about Vitamin C relieving cancer hassles: http://www.doctoryou...com/cancer.html

#6 gamesguru

• 2,681 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 03:37 PM

The sprouts curing sight problems I can see, Lutein and Zeaxanthin have proven benefits with eye health.  Many people are prescribed them for macular degeneration, and this is a serious prescription.. without it their vision would get a lot worse.

The one with niacin curing psychosis is most definitely an unfair conclusion.  I see another case where Niacin has CAUSED psychosis.  I did find another study claiming the opposite, that there is a niacin-respondant "subset" of schizophrenics.  This one is another case study (e.g. sample size of ONE person), and it has only been cited by 5 other articles implying a mediocre peer-response.  I would not rush to the conclusion that "niacin ought to be the first choice in our arsenal when it comes to treating newly diagnosed schizophrenics".  I just would NOT.

And the one with vitamin C curing cancer?  It's hard to delineate one cause in a disease as complicated as cancer.  Some people may die after surgical removal, while others flourish without surgery and the cancer seems to cure itself.  Without a sample size in at least the tens of thousands, it is impossible to draw any definitive conclusion.

You are nevertheless invited to eat more fruits and vegetables.  They contain ample amounts of vitamin C and other potent phyto-nutrients.

Edited by gamesguru, 15 February 2020 - 03:45 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Astroid

• 171 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:24 AM

There are Claims about a lot of things.. anyone can make such.

That does not prove that Mega Doses of Certain Supplements don't work.. especially as specific times and for specific reasons. 

Looks like Cherry Picking to me.. 

If one is deficient.. mega doses especially help solve the problem.

If one is down with say the flu.. OH, my God.. the China Flu.. 

The body consumes massive amounts of Vitamin C... The body does not produce or store vitamin C..

So what is the issue....? 

So you might pee it out ... but it might help you too.    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users