Spermidine, 10% lifespan increase 1 cent - 1/10th of a cent a day

spermidine longevity alibaba mice

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic
⌛⇒ new years donation: support LE labs

#1 treonsverdery

• 1,298 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 02:51 AM

I just read a journal paper where spermidine, at .3 millimolar caused middle aged mice to live 10% longer,  https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5806691/ have 40% less of some kind of heart disease, and lowered blood pressure.  The mice drank the .3mM spermidine in their drinking water, at a human drinking 1-2L of water a day that is like 44-132mg/24 hours, but you will want to do you own molar calculations rather than believe me.

Spermidine is just $50-100/Kg at alibaba.com a Chinese ecommerce site I have successfully ordered things from before.  Mouse dosages are usually divided by 12.6 to come up with a human dose, so the 44-132 mg/24 hours would be divided by 12.6.  Without the mouse compensation spermidine is about 1 cent/24 hours, or with the human dose compensation 1/10th of 1 cent.

It is likely I will be ordering some spermidine soon.  Other than divided doses, does anyone here have advice or personal experience with spermidine supplementation?

#2 Turnbuckle

• 3,835 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 March 2020 - 08:56 AM

It's also available from Amazon, but is considerably more expensive per gram. For ease of use, spermidine can be easily melted and dissolved at 10% concentration in distilled water and kept indefinitely in the fridge. With the dispenser bottle I use, 5 drops delivers 25 mg, about 2-5 times the average intake for humans found in 3 studies. See Table 3 of this study. It goes well with grapefruit juice.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 11 March 2020 - 08:57 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 orion22

• 146 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 March 2020 - 01:19 PM

sourdough bread made from sprouted wheat almost 0 gluten good taste i make it my self price almost 0 

• unsure x 1

#4 Harkijn

• 687 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 March 2020 - 04:55 PM

Thanks for drawing renewed attention to spermidine,OP! Those interested in this molecule can use the search function to read back on it.

I still eat a number of spoonfuls of wheatgerm per day.

#5 smithx

• 1,166 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 05:56 PM

It's also available from Amazon, but is considerably more expensive per gram. For ease of use, spermidine can be easily melted and dissolved at 10% concentration in distilled water and kept indefinitely in the fridge. With the dispenser bottle I use, 5 drops delivers 25 mg, about 2-5 times the average intake for humans found in 3 studies. See Table 3 of this study. It goes well with grapefruit juice.

What bottle do you use?

The lowest price I found from a known-reputable supplier (after a few minutes of searching) was this:

https://www.alfa.com...catalog/A19096/

5gm / $88

At 25mg/d that would last a very long time.

#6 p75213

• 37 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 March 2020 - 07:10 PM

Matured (12 months or more) cheddar cheese is also high in spermidine, tastes delicious, and you should never have to go to the dentist again with tooth decay.

#7 Turnbuckle

• 3,835 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 March 2020 - 09:55 AM

Matured (12 months or more) cheddar cheese is also high in spermidine, tastes delicious, and you should never have to go to the dentist again with tooth decay.

Aged cheddar has perhaps the highest level in supermarket products, but it is not a reasonable source for most people. To get 25 mg of spermidine, you'd have to eat 120 grams of aged cheddar. Almost 500 calories.

See Polyamines in foods

Ejaculate is a surprisingly poor source. It contains about 1 mg/ml and the average ejaculate is around 5 ml. So difficult to get enough, depending on your profession.

Most chem supply houses won't ship spermidine to home addresses. Amazon used to, but that may have changed. 

• Agree x 1

#8 p75213

• 37 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 March 2020 - 11:08 AM

I eat about 3 desert spoons of wheat germ, 3 or 4 slices of vintage cheddar cheese and about 3 tablespoons of activia yoghurt (I use 3 tablespoons of the store bought yoghurt to make 1 litre of yoghurt) per day. I read somewhere on longecity that activia yoghurt contains a bacteria (Bifidobacterium animalis) which activates autophagy.

#9 Harkijn

• 687 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 March 2020 - 02:45 PM

Anyway, spermidine is a complex molecule playing various roles in a complex environment so moderation seems key. The authors in this recent study warn that both endogenous and exogenous spermidine play a role in cancer formation:

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC6796968/

• Informative x 2

#10 ironfistx

• 928 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 08:37 PM

I eat about 3 desert spoons of wheat germ, 3 or 4 slices of vintage cheddar cheese and about 3 tablespoons of activia yoghurt (I use 3 tablespoons of the store bought yoghurt to make 1 litre of yoghurt) per day. I read somewhere on longecity that activia yoghurt contains a bacteria (Bifidobacterium animalis) which activates autophagy.

Only that kind of yogurt you mentioned?

#11 p75213

• 37 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 March 2020 - 04:20 AM

That's the only one I am aware of that has a Bifidobacterium bacteria. Google "Bifidobacterium autophagy".

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 Keizo

• 447 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 April 2020 - 01:04 PM

Aged cheddar has perhaps the highest level in supermarket products, but it is not a reasonable source for most people. To get 25 mg of spermidine, you'd have to eat 120 grams of aged cheddar. Almost 500 calories.

See Polyamines in foods

Looking at the table for various foods in above link... I think I'd much rather suggest broccoli or cauliflower.

850kcal for 10-20mg from white boiled potatoes.

250kcal for ~25mg from boiled broccoli.

250kcal for ~25mg from boiled cauliflower

(unless my eyes are making me look at the wrong lines)

of course you'd have to eat 1000 grams, but for some that wouldn't be much of a problem except maybe you'd get too much of some specific nutrients.

Either way considering there's quite a bit of it in normal food it makes it a bit less exciting to me as a supplement, and I wonder where the thresholds are for various effects and if the threshold for maximum good effect might be rather low and bad effects might have rather low thresholds. I just glanced over the first study in this thread so this is just half-baked thoughts. Interesting either way.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spermidine, longevity, alibaba, mice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users