social interaction brain

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kacht

• 38 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 April 2020 - 08:53 AM

Hi,

Research says that not have social interaction for a long time can damage brain function.

How muich social interaction should a person have each day to prevent loss of brain function? 

Thanks in advance for answering.                                                                                          

#2 Kacht

• Topic Starter
  • 38 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 April 2020 - 10:23 AM

Which input do you guys have on this? :)

#3 DaveX

• 84 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 04:08 PM

I'd say the amount of time is not that important as that the person is genuinely different from yourself or what you have most habituated yourself to (at least not since childhood, like a family member), and is smart. Some people (again, mostly family, I think) can make interaction incredibly complicated and slow, even while being simply relatively dumb and primitive. With some, interaction moves much faster or easily, with fewer pointless issues or wilful misunderstanding, but instead more results or new perspectives, and I think that can be very stimulating and healthy for one's psychological state.

As long as the interaction imprints itself sufficiently on one's mind, the duration is not super-important to prevent "loss of brain function", I would say. Only if one wants to gain more brain-function, the duration and variety becomes more important.

And a real social context is important I think simply because the brain is more stimulated than via text-messages.

Edited by DaveX, 24 April 2020 - 04:12 PM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Kacht

• Topic Starter
  • 38 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 April 2020 - 10:15 AM

I'd say the amount of time is not that important as that the person is genuinely different from yourself or what you have most habituated yourself to (at least not since childhood, like a family member), and is smart. Some people (again, mostly family, I think) can make interaction incredibly complicated and slow, even while being simply relatively dumb and primitive. With some, interaction moves much faster or easily, with fewer pointless issues or wilful misunderstanding, but instead more results or new perspectives, and I think that can be very stimulating and healthy for one's psychological state.

As long as the interaction imprints itself sufficiently on one's mind, the duration is not super-important to prevent "loss of brain function", I would say. Only if one wants to gain more brain-function, the duration and variety becomes more important.

And a real social context is important I think simply because the brain is more stimulated than via text-messages.

Thank you for your answer.

#5 Kacht

• Topic Starter
  • 38 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:45 AM

Do you guys have some more thoughts about this? :)

#6 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 08:43 PM

I have spent years in total solitude, celebrated New Year's and Christmas all alone since entering adulthood.
I can say for sure it rots the brain but I am not sure if it has made me worse off socially except perhaps a bit more socially anxious than usual. I think my social skills are pretty much the same.

I know that my memory is much worse and my mind is much less clear. Plus the tiredness in my arms and legs which sleep cannot remove becomes a nuisance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users