• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:23 PM

Current regimen:

DIET (Ketogenic)

Here's what I eat on a typical day:

Breakfast: 3 organic cage-free eggs, 40g of 85% dark chocolate (1/3 to 1/2 of a typical bar), tablespoon of coconut oil

Snack: couple handfuls of mixed nuts (almonds, pecans, cashews, brazil nuts, hazelnuts)

Lunch: large serving of chicken salad (trader joes canned chunk chicken, organic mayonnaise), large salad with baby spinach, romaine, random veggies, and 4 tablespoons of olive oil & red wine vinegar dressing, tablespoon of coconut oil

Snack: more mixed nuts

Dinner: two 1/4 lb 85% lean hamburgers (organic beef), covered with a large amount of guacamole and a couple teaspoons of salsa, large serving of vegetables (brocolli, green beans, asparagus, mixed veggies, etc) covered in olive oil, tablespoon of coconut oil

Beverages throughout the day consist of water, green tea, white tea, rooibos tea and hanson diet soda (sucralose sweetened). I estimate the total calories to be in the neighborhood of 2500-3000 calories. I am 6'6" tall, was 195 lbs initially and am now 190 lbs after 4-5 weeks on this diet. Lost weight I attribute to water and fat -- I have never been this lean in my life, but have not lost any strength and may have even gained a small amount of muscle. I lost most of the weight in the first two weeks, and have not noticed any significant change since then.

Other foods I eat include celery sticks filled with almond butter (I eat this all the time), all kinds of omelets, bacon, egg salad, stews or soups (combining meat with non-starchy vegetables), olives, avocados, any non-starchy vegetables, small measured servings of berries, any kind of nut butter aside from cashew and peanut which are both too high in carbs (finding ways to eat it without bread is the challenge), cobb salad, organic hot dogs w/ mustard, any kind of meat. I try to ensure that all of my meat, eggs, and dairy products are organic, otherwise these items will not be very healthy to consume due to pesticide/chemical residues accumulated in the animal fat.

SUPPLEMENTS

30min Pre-Breakfast
Geronova Research Bio-Enhanced K-RALA: 600mg R-ALA (from some larger quantity of Na-RALA)

Breakfast-
AOR Ortho-core: 2 capsules
NOW Silymarin Milk Thistle Extract 2x: 300mg
NOW Green Tea Extract: 400mg (200mg EGCG)
NOW Grapeseed Extract: 100mg (w/ 320mg Vitamin C)
NOW Tru-C BioComplex: 200mg Vitamin C (400mg amla extract, 50mg rutin, 20mg rose hips)
NOW Astaxanthin: 4mg
NOW Ubiquinol CoQH-CF: 50mg (w/ unknown quantity of d-Limonene)
NOW Vitamin D: 2000iu
Jarrow Borage GLA-240 + Gamma Tocopherol: 240mg
Jarrow Methyl B12: 1mg
Jarrow Toco-Sorb (mixed tocotrienols): 60mg
Jarrow MK-7 (Vitamin K2): 90mcg
Doctor's Best Acetyl-L-Carnitine: 500mg
Doctor's Best Benfotiamine: 150mg
Doctor's Best French Red Wine Extract (BioVin): 60mg
Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract Extra Strength Reserve: 1200mg
Natural Factors RxOmega-3 Fish Oil: 200mg DHA, 400mg EPA
Metagenics FolaPro (L-methylfolate): 800mcg
Lindt 85% Dark Chocolate: 40g
Trader Joe's Plain Kefir (sweetened w/ stevia + vanilla extract): 8oz

Lunch-
NOW Tru-C BioComplex: 200mg Vitamin C (400mg amla extract, 50mg rutin, 20mg rose hips)
NOW N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC): 600mg
Natural Factors RxOmega-3 Fish Oil: 400mg DHA, 800mg EPA
Trader Joe's Pomegranate Juice: 4oz

Dinner-
NOW Silymarin Milk Thistle Extract 2x: 300mg
Jarrow Borage GLA-240 + Gamma Tocopherol: 240mg
Jarrow Toco-Sorb (mixed tocotrienols): 60mg
Jarrow MK-7 (Vitamin K2): 90mcg
Natural Factors RxOmega-3 Fish Oil: 400mg DHA, 800mg EPA
Trader Joe's Pomegranate Juice: 4oz

Bedtime-
NOW Vitamin C: 500mg
NOW Magnesium Citrate: 500mg
Jarrow Zinc Balance: 30mg Opti-Zinc (2mg copper)
Jarrow Taurine: 2g
Jarrow Ashwagandha (Sensoril Extract): 450mg
Culturelle Lactobacillus GG: 10 billion CFU

I was taking arginine and histidine before meals to address the postprandial glucose surge of a typical diet; these are not necessary on a ketogenic diet IMO. I was also taking Carnosine which I will probably not continue due to high cost and questionable benefit. I do still take benfotiamine, 150mg with each meal (450mg daily), because there is so much evidence of positive effects in human trials. The glycation process may be better controlled and proceed more slowly on this diet but it remains a problem nonetheless. I want to add pyridoxamine too but am looking for a cheaper source than Jarrow Pyridoxall (I am going to ask Paul Wakfer where he obtains his) so I can take a substantial dosage.

EXERCISE

3 day weight-lifting schedule: Upper-body Push, Upper-body Pull, Legs & Abs. Repeated endlessly with occasional 1 day breaks.
Walk 30 minutes every weekday to and from work. Jog 15 minutes on treadmill on most days.

RECREATION & LAUGHTER

The Daily Show
Colbert Report
Battlefield 2 on the PC
Read fantasy novels (dragonlance etc)
Spend time with my fiancee

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 17 June 2008 - 02:58 PM.

#2 FunkOdyssey

• Topic Starter
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:39 PM

Some random additional thoughts:

I'd like to take Carnosine and Pyridoxamine to round out the AGE-inhibition effort. I'm looking into affordable sources for these.

I feel that I've got the adrenal fatigue issues I posted about some time ago under control, as I have no symptoms of hypoglycemia anymore, no unusual fatigue, and hands/feet stay warmer.

I may try adding galantamine at a low dose (maybe 2-4mg), as previous experimentation produced terrible nausea at 8mg.

I may experiment a bit more with nootropics, although previous trials did not yield much in the way of results.

I'm keeping an eye on resveratrol developments, but do not feel supplementation is warranted yet. I was going to try a glass of red wine daily, but I found it too irritating to my digestive system. That's also an expensive daily habit.

I use theanine as needed prior to stressful situations (300mg) and find it very effective at keeping me calm and relaxed.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 stellar

• 366 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:57 PM

Looks like a great regimen, FO!

Theanine works great, you might also want to try Picamilon. I use both before situations in which I would be absolutely nervous as hell, but really don't feel too much anxiety. Niether are sedating like Phenibut which is great.

Do you tolerate Magnesium Citrate well? If not, try Magnesium Glycinate, this is what I use.

#4 unbreakable

• 313 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:20 PM

@Funk

Looks great! Shepard will probably live forever, but you could reach 500+ years of age too with that regimen. :) What do you think about N-Acetylcysteine, Coenzyme Q10, GliSODin and Selegiline?

Edited by unbreakable, 08 June 2006 - 07:55 PM.

#5 mrak1979

• 232 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:38 PM

Funk what RLA supp do you take?

#6 unbreakable

• 313 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:41 PM

RLA-MCT25

#7 FunkOdyssey

• Topic Starter
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:34 PM

Looks great! Shepard will probably live forever, but you could reach 500+ years of age too with that regimen.

Shep's regimen has more bells and whistles, but I'm taking alot more RLA, so I guess we'll see what happens. :)

What do you think about N-Acetylcysteine, Coenzyme Q10, GliSODin and Selegiline?

With NAC, I'm not sure I want to supplement with a large amount of one substance that represents a single part of a larger antioxidant network. I am wary of inadvertently accelerating the aging process by the pro-oxidant actions of a single overdosed antioxidant. That's why I'm not supplementing with large amounts of vitamin C either.

I don't supplement with CoQ10 (only older folks or those on statins are deficient) or GliSODin for similar reasons. There was a time when I thought upregulating the body's endogenous antioxidant enzymes was a great approach, but I haven't seen much supporting evidence or enthusiasm in that direction lately.

I don't think chronic use of deprenyl is wise in young, healthy people. In my own experience, receptor downregulation / homeostasis will make it a waste of money anyway.

I don't advocate relying on a single source of information for anything, because no one has all the answers. MR comes pretty close though -- I borrow heavily from his philosophy and advice on supplementation:

http://www.cron-web....ts-guide-1.html

#8 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:45 PM

sweetened with saccharin

[wis] [wis] [wis] [wis]

#9 FunkOdyssey

• Topic Starter
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:49 PM

Duke is the one that convinced me saccharin was completely safe. If its not, then my blood is on his hands. :)

#10 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:26 PM

then my blood is on his hands.  :)

hahaha that actually made me laugh out loud...

imo funk, you have an extremely solid regimen...one of the best ive seen so far. also one that seems like it could be easily sustained for a lifetime, which would be hard with someone of the regimens ive seen posted here lol... including my own!(which ive recently cut down) so cudos to you.

my only question is why SO much curcumin? ever thought about using a full spectrum tumeric complex like gaia or new chapter?

#11 FunkOdyssey

• Topic Starter
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:33 PM

hahaha that actually made me laugh out loud...

imo funk, you have an extremely solid regimen...one of the best ive seen so far. also one that seems like it could be easily sustained for a lifetime, which would be hard with someone of the regimens ive seen posted here lol... including my own!(which ive recently cut down) so cudos to you.

Thanks! [thumb]

my only question is why SO much curcumin? ever thought about using a full spectrum tumeric complex like gaia or new chapter?

I'm using a higher dose of curcumin to help curb GI tract inflammation, related to IBS issues. I am open to the idea that there are other important elements of turmeric besides curcuminoids, but I haven't seen much supporting evidence yet.

#12 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:48 PM

interesting... is it working well for the IBS?

as far as i understand it, isolated curcuminoids are not very bioavailable... actually have quite poor bioavailablity (hence alot of companies adding bioperine). but the curcuminoids from tumeric itself are quite available... this leads me to asume that some other part of the tumeric rhizome is acting as a carrier for the curcuminoids... and [again im asuming] that if you took say, 1 pill full spectrum extract + 1 pill c3... you would absorb a hell of alot more of the curcuminoids.

again those are only my asumptions.

you find exactly that happening in ashwagandha... the senosril website explains that the Oligosaccharides & Polysaccharides actually act as a carrier for the Glycowithanolides.... drastically improving its bioavailabilty http://www.nutragene...uperiority.html

#13 FunkOdyssey

• Topic Starter
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:50 PM

interesting... is it working well for the IBS?

I noticed some modest improvement from it. The most significant difference was made by the Activia yogurt.

as far as i understand it, isolated curcuminoids are not very bioavailable... actually have quite poor bioavailablity (hence alot of companies adding bioperine). but the curcuminoids from tumeric itself are quite available... this leads me to asume that some other part of the tumeric rhizome is acting as a carrier for the curcuminoids... and [again im asuming] that if you took say, 1 pill full spectrum extract + 1 pill c3... you would absorb a hell of alot more of the curcuminoids.

Can you point me to any references supporting this? I was not particularly concerned with whether it was absorbed from my GI tract, because thats where I wanted it to be. :)

#14 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:28 PM

Ajnast wrote:

"as far as i understand it, isolated curcuminoids are not very bioavailable... actually have quite poor bioavailablity (hence alot of companies adding bioperine). but the curcuminoids from tumeric itself are quite available... this leads me to asume that some other part of the tumeric rhizome is acting as a carrier for the curcuminoids..."

That's the way I look at it too. Take the whole spice and you can't miss.

Speaking of costs, more people should cap up their own stuff. If you have $100k for miscellaneous expenses every year, then don't soil your dainty hands by capping. For the rest of us, its a very good idea. We should start a coop and see if we can get things a little cheaper. Buy it in bulk from a known dealer or even directly from the manufacturor. We may be able to save 50% or more. Is anyone volunteering to be the coop manager? I would think charging 10% over costs plus shipping + any testing done would be a fair price. I don't know any vendors that work on 10%. Funk, you look like a manager, want to take a stab at it?

#15 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:35 PM

I'd like to take Carnosine and Pyridoxamine to round out the AGE-inhibition effort. I'm looking into affordable sources for these.

Now Foods Carnosine 500mg 100Vcaps on special for $24.16 Here

For AGE-inhibition I would stick with Carnosine and Benfotiamine for now

I may try adding galantamine at a low dose (maybe 2-4mg), as previous experimentation produced terrible nausea at 8mg.

I have used 8mg of galantamine with food and only experianced nausea a few times. I now use 4mg in the morning with food and 4mg at lunch.

I recently bought GalantaMind 4mg, 90 caps for $22.49 Here

I'm keeping an eye on resveratrol developments, but do not feel supplementation is warranted yet.

IMO that's a smart move. I'm in the same position.

I have a few other suggestions:

1. EGCg (Life Extension Mega Green tea Extract)
2. Aged Garlic Extract (Kyolic Aged Garlic High Potency)
3. Astaxanthin (Now Foods, 4mg)
and depending on age and lifestyle
4. Melatonin (start low at 500mcg by Life Extension)

There was a time when I thought upregulating the body's endogenous antioxidant enzymes was a great approach, but I haven't seen much supporting evidence or enthusiasm in that direction lately.

As we age there tends to be a generalised loss of mitochondrial function. We see decreases in mitochondrial content as well as decreases in the ability of the mitochondria to produce ATP efficently. I think it would be fair to say that a decrease in mitochondrial function with age = a decrease in endogenous antioxidant system function with age because some of these antioxidant systems are found within the mitochondria i.e GSH. Free radical damage is said to be one of the primary mechanisms controlling the instrinsic aging process. Hence, if we can minimise the free radical damage by strengthening the endogenous antiox. systems such as GSH then we can potentiallyslow the rate of instrinsic aging.

Lipoic acid is a substrate that feeds into the GSH endogenous antioxidant system and above it's reported that you take a substantial dose of Lipoic acid. Additionally you also commented that you are considering a protein powder. Early analysis from my own research shows that dietary supplementation with protein powder decreases the redox status (i.e strengthens endogenous antioxidant systems) in aged males.

I can produce the same argument for taking NAC (Substrate for endogenous GSH) as you might produce for taking RLA.

I wouldn't dismiss the benefits of strengthening endogenous antioxidant systems. These systems are right at the center of where all the ROS are being produced and hence act to minimise damage to mtDNA and loss of mtDNA function with age.

I don't think chronic use of deprenyl is wise in young, healthy people. In my own experience, receptor downregulation / homeostasis will make it a waste of money anyway.

I can't really see low dose deprenyl (1mg, 3 x per week) resulting in receptor downregulation. A recent review paper published in NYAS discusses the dose response with deprenyl and increases in the lifespan of rats (1)

Other than a few suggestions. Your supplement regime is awesome. [thumb]

I also commend you on putting the costs up as well

Edited by zoolander, 08 June 2006 - 10:47 PM.

#16 FunkOdyssey

• Topic Starter
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:53 PM

Speaking of costs, more people should cap up their own stuff. If you have $100k for miscellaneous expenses every year, then don't soil your dainty hands by capping. For the rest of us, its a very good idea. We should start a coop and see if we can get things a little cheaper. Buy it in bulk from a known dealer or even directly from the manufacturor. We may be able to save 50% or more. Is anyone volunteering to be the coop manager? I would think charging 10% over costs plus shipping + any testing done would be a fair price. I don't know any vendors that work on 10%. Funk, you look like a manager, want to take a stab at it?

Well, I'm actually working with Adam now (I handle all of the shipping for his store). While the profit margins are somewhat higher than 10%, a significant amount of time and effort is required to obtain this stuff, get it bottled and sealed at an FDA-approved, GMP certified lab, process orders, package orders, and ship them out. Now that I am intimately involved in the process, I am fairly certain no one would be willing to do this work on a volunteer basis.

That said, getting high-quality, branded raw materials in bulk quantity for substantial cost-savings is our major theme right now. I'd like to see our inventory continually expand to include all of the effective anti-aging or health-promoting supplements that offer considerable savings when purchased in bulk form. You're not going to see me promote the company or talk about it very much -- I'd like my presence here to remain decidedly non-commercial. But since you asked, there's your answer. :)

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 08 June 2006 - 11:06 PM.

#17 FunkOdyssey

• Topic Starter
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:04 PM

IMO that's a smart move. I'm in the same position.

I have a few other suggestions:

1. EGCg (Life Extension Mega Green tea Extract)
2. Aged Garlic Extract (Kyolic Aged Garlic High Potency)
3. Astaxanthin (Now Foods, 4mg)
and depending on age and lifestyle
4. Melatonin (start low at 500mcg by Life Extension)

I never really considered supplementing with EGCG because I'm already drinking 8 cups of green/white tea daily. Isn't that approaching the limit of benefits found in epidemiological studies?

I don't see any reason to supplement with melatonin at my age when I have no trouble getting a good night's sleep naturally. Did you mean that as a suggestion towards older people who may be reading?

I can't really see low dose deprenyl (1mg, 3 x per week) resulting in receptor downregulation. A recent review paper published in NYAS discusses the dose response with deprenyl and increases in the lifespan of rats (1)

I've never seen this type of prophylactic use recommended for anyone under the age of 40. Can you point me to any references that suggest it would be prudent?

Other than a few suggestions. Your supplement regime is awesome.

Thanks Zoo. :)

#18 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:08 PM

GalantaMind

weren't there some quality control problems with that company?

#19 FunkOdyssey

• Topic Starter
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:10 PM

I could (and more than likely will) add Astaxanthin, Aged Garlic Extract, and some GTF Chromium to my regimen for about another $10 monthly with papanature.com products.

#20 FunkOdyssey

• Topic Starter
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:15 PM

GalantaMind

I'm pretty sure Life Enhancement flunked a Consumer Labs test, having none of the active ingredient detectable.

#21 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:26 PM

GalantaMind

I just dug up an old post and your memory serves you well.

http://www.imminst.o...f=169&t=9520&s=

#22 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:11 AM

Funk, I forgot about your partnership with Adam. Naturally you and he will be against the idea. Or at least he will be against it and you are too busy. However, it's an idea that will not go away easily. Perhaps someone else?

Think about it, we all use a lot of supplements and some of them are expensive. We could buy bulk powders or stuff already made up. How about r-ala for starters? If we get 10 people who are willing to go in on it and put up $20 each, that may be enough to order a bulk quantity of the stuff direct. Or maybe some things will require a $40 or more inititial investment. This perhaps should go into it's own thread. I don't want to hijack this one although the cost of daily supplements is a theme of this thread so naturally it came up

How many home cappers do we have? How many want to save money on a bulk purchase either powders or tabs?

#23 stellar

• 366 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:18 AM

There was a time when I thought upregulating the body's endogenous antioxidant enzymes was a great approach, but I haven't seen much supporting evidence or enthusiasm in that direction lately

Better stop Curcumin and Alpha Lipoic Acid then! Both upregulate glutathione. [wis]

#24 FunkOdyssey

• Topic Starter
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:22 AM

I'm not saying its something to explicitly avoid, or that it can't provide some limited benefit, but I don't think endogenous antioxidants are going to do anything dramatic for us, especially with regard to max LS (the holy grail).

#25 stellar

• 366 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:24 AM

I'm using a higher dose of curcumin to help curb GI tract inflammation, related to IBS issues..

Try a few tablespoons of vinegar in water before a meal. It is used for IBS and Crohn's disease.

Also, not only does it help for these conditions, but in a study it has similar effects as metformin:

Vinegar Improves Insulin Sensitivity to a High-Carbohydrate Meal in Subjects With Insulin Resistance or Type 2 Diabetes
http://care.diabetes...t/full/27/1/281

#26 stellar

• 366 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:26 AM

2. Aged Garlic Extract

This is a great choice. I take Kyolic formula #103 for immune enhancement. [lol]

#27 Calilove

• 4 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:49 AM

My extensive anti-aging, and intelligence enhancing regimen goes as follows:

Upon awakening:
1mg Methyl B-12
Birth Control

Before leaving the house:
3 capsules Ortho-Core
1 capsule Omega-3 Mood
Theanine
10 mg Vincamine, if I'm going to class

Before I Hit the Hay:
3 capsules Ortho-Core
1 capsule Omega-3 Mood
1 Theanine
1 Magnesium Citrate

I have found that the vincamine not only helps me pay attention in class, but it also helps me with my diagonalality, which Shawn says I have alot of.

Notable foods consumed daily:
1-2 slices Apple or blueberry pie (contains alpha-beta apple chemicals)
1 cup tomato juice
2 Kiwis (while they're in season)
1 apple

#28 FunkOdyssey

• Topic Starter
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:57 AM

[lol]

Yeah, the alpha-beta apple chemicals in the pie really keep your diagonalality under control [tung]

#29 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 03:45 AM

Aww, you two must be sweethearts. How sweet.

Hey Funk, why so much taurine? Are you treating a specific condition? And BTW I wouldn't worry too much about the pro-oxidant potential of vitamin C. Read your copy of Ascorbate.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#30 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:30 AM

GalantaMind

I just dug up an old post and your memory serves you well.

http://www.imminst.o...f=169&t=9520&s=

I remember well because I had bought several bottles of stuff from them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users