nutrition ectopic heartbeats

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Rosanna

• 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 April 2020 - 09:17 PM

Hi there

I'd like the guys of this forum to weigh in on this even though it's a women's issue possibly.  The reason is that I want a scientific perspective that I'm not getting anywhere else, and if I put this in the women's forum I fear it won't be seen as there's not much activity there.  

Basically I've experienced ectopic heartbeats on and off for years.  I know a few triggers, but once they start, it's as if my heart is irritable and it will take a while to calm down regardless of what originally might have started them.  Have had a normal echocardiogram, been told there's a bit of atrial ectopy at times, nothing else of concern, passed stress test also.  Discharged from cardiology.

The known triggers are:

fasting

being hungry too many times (eg can miss one meal, but if keep doing it over the course of a week then ectopics start)

strict vegan (I'm mainly vegan but eat fish and find fish and in fact anything 'fatty' has a 'stabilising' effect.....and wonder is this partly the effect on the stomach, from satiety, less triggering of the vagus nerve)

certain times of the month (as my cycle is more erratic at 49, noticed if a period is due, heart is calm.......if near ovulation, heart more likely to have ectopics)

Other context:  I take thyroxine as I'm hypothyroid without.  I've just begun hormone replacement therapy as I tend to believe the gradual loss of female hormones just creates a domino effect for other ageing processes.

We are in lockdown in the UK, and I've been eating less and buying less food.  Also been walking a lot more (so finding myself hungry more and at times dehydrated).  Also been eating more vegan food and very little fat in the diet.  For 3.5 weeks I've been unwell on and off with what I suspect might have been coronavirus, but in the last 4 days I feel I've shaken it off.  Took steroid asthma inhaler but have stopped that.

Tonight heart seems to be telling me that anything will trigger it to skip.  This has happened before but I've had 1.5 year gap where all was very calm.  

My theories:  

1)  fasting is my main trigger and yesterday I didn't eat or drink nearly enough, that's the reason this is occurring today   (this has happened before)

2)  too much vegan food, not enough amino acids like taurine, need to eat more fish    (this has happened before)

3)  combination of extra oestrogen from hormone replacement may be interacting with thyroxine and I may need to lower thyroxine.

If anyone experiences ectopics, or has anything useful to add to this thought process I'd be interested to hear it.  Hope it's ok to post here, but I was thinking it's to do with nutrition (a lot of it anyway).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users