coronavirus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rosanna

• 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 May 2020 - 10:56 PM

Hi everyone

a very simple question but most people don't think about this sort of thing and I'm interested in an answer from those with a scientific mindset.

I live in an apartment block.  Each apartment has all it's own plumbing, etc, so not worried there, but we surround a small communal garden, about 3 - 4 metres in length.  I'm longing to open my window overlooking

the garden, especially at night as it cools everything down, but my neighbour's bathroom windows are about  3 metres away, to the left and to the right.  Their windows are open all the time and I'm thinking about how likely it 

would be for coronavirus to be aerosolised by a flushing toilet, out through their open windows, into the space between, through my window and onto my desk that's right by it, where I'm often sat.  

I know they would first have to have the infection.

Am I being too ocd to keep that window closed?  As the weather is warming up I'm just wondering if I should just open it, seeing as everyone around me isn't worried.  Thoughts?

#2 Rosanna

• Topic Starter
  • 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 May 2020 - 12:18 PM

Anyone?

I have portable air con but I'm imagining I shouldn't use it as it blows out hot air 2- 3 metres above where people are walking in the street.  It's safe, you can't feel anything from the street, but I am thinking its not a good idea to have something blowing onto the street during a pandemic (even though I'm not feeling ill it would be sucking air from my flat and blowing out.....)

Edited by Rosanna, 20 May 2020 - 12:20 PM.

#3 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 03:28 PM

I had this thought walking to the local shop the other day.  I would say running the AC is discourteous, but how much I don't know.  I would use some common sense, if you have bad allergies and are sneezing everywhere potentially spreading virus and it's the middle of the day (not even that hot out) when everyone is out and about and potentially doesn't even hear your AC running til they're on top of it, then maybe yes shutting it off is the courteous thing.

There was a study in a China restaurant where a waiter infected multiple guests, and speculation about ventilation on the Grand Princess and the Life Care Center in Kirkland.  But the risk is probably low compared to living with someone who is actively sneezing and coughing

• like x 2

#4 Rosanna

• Topic Starter
  • 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 May 2020 - 06:06 PM

Thanks  :-)

Extremely low probability is what I'm looking for, a scientist or someone saying it's ok to do......either opening the window or running the air con.  Otherwise I wait till Friday, lol.  Friday promises to be cooler  :-D

#5 hotbit

• 129 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 July 2020 - 04:16 PM

A bit paranoid.
It depends a lot on air circulation. Can you smell soap, shampoo, bathroom precipitation when they are showering? Unless it's steaming in heavily, I would not worry.

There is a large number of other ways you can likely get in contact with the virus. And many other virus around. To be infected with a very low dose could be beneficial.

Exercise, get in shape and don't worry :)

• like x 1

#6 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 03:07 AM

Shampoo is actually a volatile organic compound, so it diffuses readily at the low Dalton molecular scale. Sneezes or coughs from within the shower are not zero risk, but due to the high Dalton weight of the viron and binding to mucous droplets, it is less likely than shampoo scents to escape the bathroom and even less so in a hot and steamy shower. The steam will catch and drag down much of the mucous droplets, like rain washing smog out of the air.

Being infected with a very low dose will likely result in either a full-blown infection, or in no immunity at all. With a highly virulent and novel virus, I'm assuming it's an all or nothing thing with the immunologically naive. These are not allergens to which a gradual tolerance can be developed through successive shots, but rather viciously reproductive pathogens for which an immune response must be acquired through infection or vaccine
  • like x 3
  • Good Point x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coronavirus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users