Depression - no solid cure?

depression shizsucks anhedonia ssri/snri/maoi/tryciclic/atypical

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
⌛⇒ current fundraiser: B.A.S.E Victor @ OpenCures

#1 vader

• 243 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 06:33 PM

I think that medicating depression is futile. I have tried now many numerous anti-deps - they all suck for protracted depression / dysthymia / ptsd / anhedonia, whatever You want to call it. If it's sickness behavior, then we should treat the sickness - but how (then again, many people even on their death-bed seem to be perfectly fine hedonists with no evident depression)? Even new treatments like ketamine or psilocybin give short-lived results at best. 

#2 experimenting

• 497 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:28 AM

Man, I’ve dealt with depression like symptoms for years. You’ll see my post history, I have been fighting the fog forever. I’m still not getting anywhere yet, and I’m considering giving up the fight.

But you shouldn’t give up yet. Have you done all bloodwork? Literally everything? Tried every vitamin, amino acid to start with? Dietary modifications? Hormone modifications?

Antidepressants were useless for me too-because I have so many physical symptoms, my problem isn’t solved by adjusting my neurotransmitter ratios.

But that doesn’t mean there isn’t a cure for you. You just have to get creative. Carefully list your mental AND physical symptoms. Labwork. Etc etc.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 experimenting

• 497 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:30 AM

I think that medicating depression is futile. I have tried now many numerous anti-deps - they all suck for protracted depression / dysthymia / ptsd / anhedonia, whatever You want to call it. If it's sickness behavior, then we should treat the sickness - but how (then again, many people even on their death-bed seem to be perfectly fine hedonists with no evident depression)? Even new treatments like ketamine or psilocybin give short-lived results at best.

Look at your family members too. What symptoms do you share with them?

⌛⇒ current fundraiser: B.A.S.E Victor @ OpenCures

#4 gamesguru

• 2,986 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:08 PM

A lot of treatment resistant depression has anhedonic traits, and a probable dopamine or glutamate component.

It's a matter of finding something that works for you.  For me it's tea, magnesium, turmeric.  Commercial antidepressants don't directly work by serotonin, it's a lever mechanism which controls BDNF and hippocampal neurogenesis with some secondary rewiring down the serotonin pathways.  This effect, and the bulk of the benefits, can be obtained by myriads of other approaches.  Exercise and flaxseed with a more balanced diet would have significant benefits alone.

#5 experimenting

• 497 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:31 PM

A lot of treatment resistant depression has anhedonic traits, and a probable dopamine or glutamate component.

It's a matter of finding something that works for you. For me it's tea, magnesium, turmeric. Commercial antidepressants don't directly work by serotonin, it's a lever mechanism which controls BDNF and hippocampal neurogenesis with some secondary rewiring down the serotonin pathways. This effect, and the bulk of the benefits, can be obtained by myriads of other approaches. Exercise and flaxseed with a more balanced diet would have significant benefits alone.

Hey mate-

Did you manage to look at my thread in Brain Health?

Have I gone completely insane?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 Rorororo

• 241 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:43 PM

Depression is hard because it is such a generic disease.  It just means something is depressed.  You can treat it if you eliminate any possibilities, this will take time and money.  You can also use process of elimination (a good pysch. should be able to do this) by using attributes of your lifestyle, personality to pinpoint on what exactly is low. 

Its like asking is there a treatment for people that are high.  It depends, what exactly is high? Which level is high?

Don't keep your hopes down, there is MANY ways to treat some one now a days!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: depression, shizsucks, anhedonia, ssri/snri/maoi/tryciclic/atypical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users